Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Plagarism Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For one of our units, we have to make a website. I have based my house style on a website, however I have written all the code for it myself from scratch and have also altered the house style quite a bit. Is it still considered plagiarism if my website looks similar to another ? Also, how do exam boards check for plagiarism on website coursework?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by "house style"? Is that the example fragment of code that they gave to you? It should really only be used as a guide or foundation, you then base the rest of your website around it, building on it and using the materials you learned from the course.

TurnItIn uses a database of all submitted courseworks and online sources and matches to see if your work is similar to the ones in the database. Code is probably less flagged up because coding styles can be similar but that doesn't mean you can just go on the editor in Google Chrome and just rip all the code from a website. If it visually looks similar then it depends how you got there, if you used the exact same CSS styles with the same margins, padding, etc... then you're running dangerously. You can use sites as a guide but nothing more, code the rest yourself using your own creativity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    What do you mean by "house style"? Is that the example fragment of code that they gave to you? It should really only be used as a guide or foundation, you then base the rest of your website around it, building on it and using the materials you learned from the course.

TurnItIn uses a database of all submitted courseworks and online sources and matches to see if your work is similar to the ones in the database. Code is probably less flagged up because coding styles can be similar but that doesn't mean you can just go on the editor in Google Chrome and just rip all the code from a website. If it visually looks similar then it depends how you got there, if you used the exact same CSS styles with the same margins, padding, etc... then you're running dangerously. You can use sites as a guide but nothing more, code the rest yourself using your own creativity.
    By house style I mean the site's overall appearance. I haven't done that at all, written all the code myself. CSS is completely different

ReputationRep:
    If it just looks similar to another site but you haven't actually used any of their content - it makes it unoriginal, not plagiarized, so don't worry as long as you've written the site yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you the only page that was slightly similar was the homepage

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If you need any help with web development, feel free to give me a shout.

I remember 7 years back I ended up developing a custom CMS for a fictional hotel. Forward to now it's child's play compared to work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    If you need any help with web development, feel free to give me a shout.

I remember 7 years back I ended up developing a custom CMS for a fictional hotel. Forward to now it's child's play compared to work!
    haha aww thanks a lot!! I've finished my website and my teacher's really happy with me as I'm the only one who's got full marks haha yaay :P had to spend hours on it haha so glad it's done now
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maim56)
    haha aww thanks a lot!! I've finished my website and my teacher's really happy with me as I'm the only one who's got full marks haha yaay :P had to spend hours on it haha so glad it's done now
    Awesome - congratulations!

I remember submitting dozens of printed source code in the appendix and I think they got a bit overwhelmed not having a clue what any of it meant other than the live demo, lol. Top marks in the end!

You could definitely use that in your CV or application when applying for university or work, though.

Well done - hope you enjoyed it. Web dev is awesome to get into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Awesome - congratulations!

I remember submitting dozens of printed source code in the appendix and I think they got a bit overwhelmed not having a clue what any of it meant other than the live demo, lol. Top marks in the end!

You could definitely use that in your CV or application when applying for university or work, though.

Well done - hope you enjoyed it. Web dev is awesome to get into.
    Thanks!!! oh gosh I had to do the exact same thing! My final report is huge as I've had to explain everything! congratulations to you too

that's actually a good idea, thanks!

I'm planning on making more websites this summer to extend my skills after I finish my A2's! quite excited haha

Are you working in web development?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maim56)
    Thanks!!! oh gosh I had to do the exact same thing! My final report is huge as I've had to explain everything! congratulations to you too

that's actually a good idea, thanks!

I'm planning on making more websites this summer to extend my skills after I finish my A2's! quite excited haha

Are you working in web development?
    No problem. Best of luck with your A2 work. I'm sure your personal projects will be invaluable in future but just make sure to get them on GitHub for when employers ask. You can continue to maintain your portfolio as you go along. This will also teach you about version control (Git being the most popular and widely used) - another essential experience.

Yes I'm a senior web applications developer - full stack, but I prefer back-end usually.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.