The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unregistered
Seeing the traffic being reduced here on the board I decided to post another Oxbridge related thread. Well, here goes: I have heard many people say that they've read loads of other people's applications to Oxbridge before applying and I've been wondering where I can get hold of some. Were they provided by their schools or can i pull them off the Internet? Thank you in advance.

I don't know about that, but if you want to find out about other people who applied to Oxbridge this website is good, they talk about their interview and grades etc

http://www.oxbridge-info.co.uk/profiles/
Reply 2
Lord Huntroyde
I don't know about that, but if you want to find out about other people who applied to Oxbridge this website is good, they talk about their interview and grades etc

http://www.oxbridge-info.co.uk/profiles/

That is where I saw that many Oxbridge applicants read a lot of others' applications and started the thread. Thanks anyway.
Reply 3
If anyone is thinking of doing Maths, or applying to Trinity, then my opinion is there.

I am Colm, Maths, Trinity, Cambridge. (amazingly!).
Reply 4
Unregistered
If anyone is thinking of doing Maths, or applying to Trinity, then my opinion is there.

Can you give any specific points you included in your personal statement? Thanks.
Reply 5
Unregistered

Have you started at Trinity, or are you starting there next term?
Reply 6
Unregistered

As you applied to Trinity, which is widely regarded as the best, do you think you would have regretted not applying to a less competetive college had Trinity rejected you?
Reply 7
Unregistered
Seeing the traffic being reduced here on the board I decided to post another Oxbridge related thread. Well, here goes: I have heard many people say that they've read loads of other people's applications to Oxbridge before applying and I've been wondering where I can get hold of some. Were they provided by their schools or can i pull them off the Internet? Thank you in advance.

Try www.personalstatement.info
Reply 8
I am starting a website on applying to Oxford and university in general. I haven’t got very far yet just writing up my own experiences. If anyone’s interested I have been made a conditional offer of AAA to study economics and management and will find out if I get in next Thursday.

The site is at http://www.loftxnetwork.co.uk/uni/ but the only part with much content on is the diary. If anyone is or has already applied to Oxford or anywhere else really and wants to help please get in touch.

Tom
Reply 9
That was me above - sorry i wasnt logged in im a bit too new :redface:
Reply 10
Unregistered
I am starting a website on applying to Oxford and university in general. I haven’t got very far yet just writing up my own experiences. If anyone’s interested I have been made a conditional offer of AAA to study economics and management and will find out if I get in next Thursday.

That's nice of you...I'm sure people will find it very useful
What college have you applied to or did you get an open offer?

I really hope you get the grades etc- if you get in I'm sure you'll really enjoy it :smile:

Egan
Reply 11
Thanks for the support :smile:

I put in an open offer becuase i left it a bit late to apply - got my form in on the last day - and so didnt get much time to do research.

Ill try and get a lot more information on the site and keep it up if i get in.
Reply 12
As far as my personal statement went;

I just wrote down what I thought was relevant. Tip; Don't put down what you "intend to do". I know it sounds obvious, but quite a few people I know fell into this trap.

I hope to be studying at Trin. next term, but I am not expecting to because my exams did not go well.

@ Lord H.

Not at all. Besides Trinity has one of the biggest intakes, so chances are increased.
I just said to myself that I would pick my favourite, and have no regrets.
Reply 13
Unregistered
As far as my personal statement went;

I just wrote down what I thought was relevant. Tip; Don't put down what you "intend to do". I know it sounds obvious, but quite a few people I know fell into this trap.

I hope to be studying at Trin. next term, but I am not expecting to because my exams did not go well.

@ Lord H.

Not at all. Besides Trinity has one of the biggest intakes, so chances are increased.
I just said to myself that I would pick my favourite, and have no regrets.

I think that's the best philosophy to have.
Reply 14
Unregistered
Tip; Don't put down what you "intend to do". I know it sounds obvious, but quite a few people I know fell into this trap.

What’s the exact reason for this? I didn't put what I intended to do because I really had no idea - what's the reason?
Reply 15
loftx
What’s the exact reason for this? I didn't put what I intended to do because I really had no idea - what's the reason?

Sorry, I should've made this clearer.

I mean don't think to yourself;
"I'll have read book X, and done evening course Y before my interview, so I'll put it on my personal statement."
Unregistered

"I'll have read book X, and done evening course Y before my interview, so I'll put it on my personal statement."

As long as your not dumbass and either a) get up and make sure you actually do what you have said you have done, or b) be brave and hope that you can blag it (not advisable in the slightest), i see no real problem with this. If i write that i have read a book, knowing that i will probably be asked/tested on this i will read it
Reply 17
Unregistered

But it would bo okay as long as you made sure you did what you said on your statement.

I suppose you must make positive statements. Rather than saying 'I intend to do these things,' you should say 'I have done these things' but make sure you do them before your interview.
Reply 18
It'sPhil...
As long as your not dumbass and either a) get up and make sure you actually do what you have said you have done, or b) be brave and hope that you can blag it (not advisable in the slightest), i see no real problem with this. If i write that i have read a book, knowing that i will probably be asked/tested on this i will read it

Either way, I believe it is not advisable.

@ Lord Huntroyde, I would never ever start a sentence with "I intend to...", ON my personal statement.
Reply 19
Lord Huntroyde
As you applied to Trinity, which is widely regarded as the best, do you think you would have regretted not applying to a less competetive college had Trinity rejected you?

I still want to apply to Trinity, and I don't think I would regret being rejected and not applying to a less competitive college because if I was good enough for a worse college I would be pooled.

Latest

Trending

Trending