Canadian medical school documentary on PBL, MMI and Med Ed innovations

Watch
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
There is a new documentary filmed at McMaster Medical School in Hamilton, Canada entitled Canada's New Doctors, where they focus on the innovative teaching done there!

McMaster University Medical School was the school that first developed PBL in the 60s and MMI in the 00s. A good watch for anyone interested in schools that use MMI for interviews or PBL for teaching or anyone just bored and needing yet another med documentary to watch :P

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/...111309807.html
Neostigmine
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll give it a watch. I'm still not convinced about PBL. I have never been a fan but it seems to really split opinion.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Neostigmine)
I'll give it a watch. I'm still not convinced about PBL. I have never been a fan but it seems to really split opinion.
I've been through both a PBL and a non-PBL school and in my opinion both have their pros and cons.

I personally think that the ideal school has a mix. It shouldn't sacrifice lectures, which I believe are great for core concepts (i.e. things you want everyone to know), but it should also have PBL, which I believe is best for clinical material and storing information as memory. PBL really tries to emulate the way you learn clinically often with a physician tutor and 7-8 students.

I personally find that any material after the 2nd hour of lecture just flies over my head because I just can't pay attention, while PBL can miss key concepts if one group veers off in a different direction. It also can create concern about whether or not you are on the right track as well.

The way PBL is done seriously makes a difference as to whether or not it succeeds. It varies with tutor and it varies by school depending on how they spin it.

If a school is lecture heavy, it should cut back on lectures maybe 10-12 hours of lectures a week and 2 3 hour PBL sessions imo works well.

In Canada, all schools use PBL to some extent, the last holdout just updated their curriculum to include PBL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
31.99%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (37)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.75%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.72%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
24.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.01%

Watched Threads