Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of taking up an extra AS next year.Which of these do you think would be more useful/interesting?

P.S. Is it true that only Edexcel are doing Latin from next year?

ReputationRep:
    Lots to learn for both.... if ur school do the full amount of lessons, go for latin. That will benefit u, its interesting and very well respected. Depends what other subjects ur doing i guess. Goes well with sciences, languages and humanties, whilst biology could be restricted to maths and science. OCR will be only board offering latin, but AQA will continue to offer it till next year or something, I THINK

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's just Oxford Cambridge doing Latin from 2006. I think you really should do Latin, it has more benefits than you would at first think until you've actually read some of it. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savvy10)
    I'm thinking of taking up an extra AS next year.Which of these do you think would be more useful/interesting?

P.S. Is it true that only Edexcel are doing Latin from next year?

Biology! come on its way better, funner and much more intresting lol but it really depends on what you like. If it were me, there wud b no competition, definately biology! but its up 2 u.

ReputationRep:
    Latin.

ReputationRep:
    biology biology biology. did latin gcse and was bored to the inner core. "Caecilius est mortus" - the three best words from the multitude of books that kept on coming when you thought you'd finished the course!

ReputationRep:
    What other subjects are you doing?

What are you planning to do at uni?

I think biology is good if combined with other science subjects but I wouldn't be too sure about doing it as a contrasting subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savvy10)
    I do both, and I definitely prefer Latin (so much more subtle and interesting than the rote-learning that is Biology), but obviously that's subjective. What other subjects will you be doing, and what do you plan to do at university (if you have any plans)?

ReputationRep:
    Latin is great. And sounds v impressive.

ReputationRep:
    If I didn't specifically require Biology for my degree course i'd have taken another interesting language like Latin or Greek, but that's simply because i enjoy languages. Biology, even at AS, can become an arduous and boring slog, so if it's just to diversify your curriculum, i'd go with Latin, far more engaging and interesting.

ReputationRep:
    LATIN bigtime. i did latin for GCSE. didn't take it up because the next step up was even more latin, and my gramma skills weren't up to scratch, and i knew it. was i a pro at it i'd be taking the a level. its lovely. you learn the literature, more about the language,makes you more critical when you analyse stuff.. its like english lit with language in it. and then you have to read ovid and books and such about the universe. wow/

biology is just facts and science - do something or a more creative form if its not in any way streaming for a science subject i do biology, its great stuff i mean i love it like i eat candyfloss, but i always pay so much respect to latinists - and if your school offers it i say take it.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.