Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can go to a bar with no money? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been invited out to a bar with work colleagues and I have to go. I have a train and bus pass so getting there and back is no problem. My problem is I have no money! Literally £1.50 in my bank as I've had to pay my childminder £140.
    I get money on Monday but that doesn't help me.

I have wine in my house so would love to bring that in some how but im not sure how. It will be day time so don't think they will have security. You're allowed bring shopping bags in so I could just bring it in in a selfridges bag (I have one from a few months ago).

My friend said to ask for a glass with ice at the bar and then plonk the bottle of wine on the table and no one will know. I also have a small bottle of vodka (literally two shots worth size) I could bring that and order a coke (£1.50 is the exact price of a small
    Coke). I could order tap water I suppose?

What do you guys reckon? I have To go even if it's only for an hour or so.

ReputationRep:
    How about you don't try to sneak alcohol in as that will just be stressful, especially if, in front of your work colleagues, the staff at the place throw you out or tell you not to audibly.

I would just not drink in this situation. I'm not a big drinker and have often been to 'social' situations where alcohol is seen as mandatory but I personally don't want to. Just go to the bar, order some fizzy water with ice and lemon and ask for a straw. Your work colleagues wont even know if you want to tell them it's g+t or something because sometimes it's seen as mentally deranged to not drink alcohol in certain situations (sarcasm).

You'll probably also get offered a drink by someone (I imagine) so just take that offer!! If you feel you need a bit of alcohol to enjoy the night or to feel a bit merry then have a glass of wine before you go into the bar.

But honestly don't take alcohol in, it will be stressful and potentially embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cressandra)
    I have been invited out to a bar with work colleagues and I have to go. I have a train and bus pass so getting there and back is no problem. My problem is I have no money! Literally £1.50 in my bank as I've had to pay my childminder £140.
    I get money on Monday but that doesn't help me.

I have wine in my house so would love to bring that in some how but im not sure how. It will be day time so don't think they will have security. You're allowed bring shopping bags in so I could just bring it in in a selfridges bag (I have one from a few months ago).

My friend said to ask for a glass with ice at the bar and then plonk the bottle of wine on the table and no one will know. I also have a small bottle of vodka (literally two shots worth size) I could bring that and order a coke (£1.50 is the exact price of a small
    Coke). I could order tap water I suppose?

What do you guys reckon? I have To go even if it's only for an hour or so.
    If you only have £1.50 to your name, I think you have bigger problems than the potential embarrassment from going to a bar and not drinking.

ReputationRep:
    Order tap water. The people you're with are paying for drinks so it won't be a problem. Just specify tap water so they don't bring a bottle. I do it all the time and it's not a problem.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.