Skinny guys who have bulked up?

Watch
Mysterious4
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Any skinny guys out there who have bulked up and have a muscular figure? I'm a skinny guy who's starting the gym soon, and I was just after some tips from people who have had the same body type as me

What routines did you follow, and how much did you have to eat? And what did you eat?

Also, how long did it take you to start seeing results?

Thanks!
Dick Diamonds
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I started off fat rather than skinny, although nobody believes me :moon:

If you want to look good:

Start off with a strength program such as Starting Strength or 5x5, (there are others) and once you have the base strength, move onto a hypertrophy routine in the 8-12 rep range.
mistyblue~
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't skinny guys have an advantage with bodybuilding as they don't have to worry about losing fat they can just increase muscle size and they are done. Then again they might have trouble gaining muscle if they have trouble storing calories.

There's a lad I know who is very thin and gaunt looking he has started to lift but I just can't imagine him having lots of muscle he will still look very gaunt.
Unistudent77
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mistyblue~;[url="tel:62368605")
62368605[/url]]Don't skinny guys have an advantage with bodybuilding as they don't have to worry about losing fat they can just increase muscle size and they are done. Then again they might have trouble gaining muscle if they have trouble storing calories.

There's a lad I know who is very thin and gaunt looking he has started to lift but I just can't imagine him having lots of muscle he will still look very gaunt.
Well kinda, as you want to start from a lean base and bulk up.
They don't have trouble 'storing calories'. They don't eat enough. Full stop.

If he eats above or at maintenance and lifts then he'll put on muscle, quite quickly for a while.

OP - what the first response said really.

Speaking from experience here as i was 60kg last Spring and i am now 69kg or so. Still small but not really tiny like i was before
username1119229
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Take a look at Tom Hardy.

There's a few links of him prior to Warrior/TDKR, and he's a naturally skinny build. It's do-able with the right diet and training 👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile
ProteinKing
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Didn't follow any of the routines like 5x5 ICF or whatever it is. Just pyramiding. 15,12,10,8 reps. Done. Bigger and stronger than a lot of people that have trained equal to or longer than me.
XxKingSniprxX
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mysterious4)
Any skinny guys out there who have bulked up and have a muscular figure? I'm a skinny guy who's starting the gym soon, and I was just after some tips from people who have had the same body type as me

What routines did you follow, and how much did you have to eat? And what did you eat?

Also, how long did it take you to start seeing results?

Thanks!
I started out as 5'9.5 weighing in at 48kg(9-10% bodyfat) when I first started out in the gym.
*Fast forward 1.5 years* ....
I'm weighing at 67kg(12% bodyfat)

After my 1st year newbie gains I went from 48kg to 62.5kg and then plateaued until I learnt more about nutrition/dieting/macros. I'm currently bulking hence why I'm 67kg hopefully to 73.5kg then a cut to 68kg.

Everyone started somewhere
Tip: Take photos front/side/back when you first start out and then take photos again every 3 months and compare how much progress you've made. Your first year gains are :drool:
Adherence+dieting+time>all.
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi

Starting from a lean base is always ideal. Eat at maintenance (http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ for a rough estimate and starting point as to how much you should be eating) or just above for the first 6-12 months. The idea at that point should be to build muscle without gaining fat, totally doable in the first year and you'll make maximum gains due to being new. If you see yourself gaining fat in the mirror, lower the calories a bit. If you stop gaining weight, add in another couple of hundred. Once you've been training about a year then a little fat gain over time is acceptable and necessary, then once you've hit the two year mark you should have gained somewhere around 30lbs or maybe more of actual muscle mass as well as a little extra weight. You can decide from there whether or not you want to trim some fat off yet.

As for training, a lot of people start off on a strength based routine, it's not absolutely necessary to do so but any routine will put some muscle on you in the first few months as you're new to the stimulus. If you want to focus mostly on hypertrophy from there then a good upper/lower type split is a good choice, something like http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1696, should serve you well for however long you feel like running the routine as deloads are built in.

(Original post by 0902)
Take a look at Tom Hardy.

There's a few links of him prior to Warrior/TDKR, and he's a naturally skinny build. It's do-able with the right diet and training 👍🏻
He's a known steroid user (as are most actors who quickly get into shape for a film, they're being paid a hefty sum to do so after all), not the best of examples of what's achievable Most of his physique is attainable but his trap thickness is insane.
XxKingSniprxX
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
He's a known steroid user (as are most actors who quickly get into shape for a film, they're being paid a hefty sum to do so after all), not the best of examples of what's achievable Most of his physique is attainable but his trap thickness is insane.
Dude, his physique is bluntly s... You can instantly tell his on juice by his trap size.
There are easily so many people with better Physiques than him who are better because of their knowledge and the time spent taken to acquire their physique.

There's no easy way out, steroids may help people get instant results but imo
taking the longer route is often more rewarding. I understand your argument and agree that there are a lot of actors who suddenly do a film role and are jaw dropping at how they've transformed from skinny/overweight to amazing physique in such a short time. You can often compare by how far apart the films were and several other factors but in the end it comes down to the pay cheque -> Cost v.s Benefit.
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
Dude, his physique is bluntly s... You can instantly tell his on juice by his trap size.
There are easily so many people with better Physiques than him who are better because of their knowledge and the time spent taken to acquire their physique.

There's no easy way out, steroids may help people get instant results but imo
taking the longer route is often more rewarding. I understand your argument and agree that there are a lot of actors who suddenly do a film role and are jaw dropping at how they've transformed from skinny/overweight to amazing physique in such a short time. You can often compare by how far apart the films were and several other factors but in the end it comes down to the pay cheque -> Cost v.s Benefit.
You can't get anything like Tom Hardy size in Warrior/ batman naturally. The guy was an absolute monster for those roles
username1119229
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was always under the assumption that TDKR was under the use of legal steroids etc, however his role in warrior was natural. I stand to be corrected

Posted from TSR Mobile
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 0902)
I was always under the assumption that TDKR was under the use of legal steroids etc, however his role in warrior was natural. I stand to be corrected

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's a natty as nuclear power
redbuthotter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
He's a natty as nuclear power
I know natty guys way way bigger than him. Depends on genetics and training history too. In his case, sure he probably is on drugs.
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by redbuthotter)
I know natty guys way way bigger than him. Depends on genetics and training history too. In his case, sure he probably is on drugs.
He's a giant in batman. Bale who is also on dat dere, is majorly outclassed in the size game. I don't dispute there's a few giant nattys out there; I've trained with a guy who has pulled 300kg and is natty and huge. (However I know he's natty as his bench is poverty (110 1rm loool)). There's no way you can get anything like the size of Thomas in the time it took him
redbuthotter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What? Pulls 300, benches 110? Did he lose an arm?
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by redbuthotter)
What? Pulls 300, benches 110? Did he lose an arm?
It's how I know he's natty; legit killed me when I asked what his bench was, I was expecting great things (ofc I don't know whether he's natty or not; he could well be on something - it's our running joke)

And I have no idea why it's so low; he's got a decent OHP for his size (90); poverty chest or something along those lines. Still cracks me up when he benches less than I do; me deadllifting ~3 plates either side less

Edit: I did an edit
milomcc
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I started off weighing 76kg in September and weighed 90kg in December through a number of techniques. Im 6ft2 18 years old
Unistudent77
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by milomcc)
I started off weighing 76kg in September and weighed 90kg in December through a number of techniques. Im 6ft2 18 years old
14kg in 3 months..... That ain't muscle.
SwitchingOne
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've just put on 30lbs of muscle in 3 months, whatever it takes, you gotta shock the body. Right babe
GeologyMaths
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SwitchingOne)
I've just put on 30lbs of muscle in 3 months, whatever it takes, you gotta shock the body. Right babe
I had a blast today... Feeda workout
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (59)
13.05%
Virtual campus tours/open days (104)
23.01%
Live streaming events (41)
9.07%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (43)
9.51%
A uni comparison tool (104)
23.01%
An in-person event when available (101)
22.35%