Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in a situation where I'm really hoping for a postgraduate course offer to study for a Masters in Economics this September. The credentials:

2.1 BA Hons - Economics and Japanese
    Overall - 63%
    Economics - 67.7% (68.5% is a first at Leeds)

Currently working for a Big 4 Firm.

I had quite strong mitigating circumstances throughout uni. I became disabled in first year and was constantly in and out of university for following 3 years.
    Economics results were still good, but turned out to be a slight tragedy towards the end. I got my calculator taken off me by the invigilator for one of my exams, resulting in me not being able to answer a large section of the paper I studied for.
    In addition, I got 5 marks taken off 2 pieces of written coursework. Leeds Business School made it so you there was no leighweigh with exceeding word limit. If you went 1 word over, you got 5 marks deducted. Only introduced in final year and not everyone was aware of it (happened to my friend too).

So question is how would I fair with getting a MSc offer?

I've applied to Bristol and considering applying to: Nottingham, Bath and maybe Durham in the event that Bristol don't offer me a place.

I know my overall grade isn't brilliant, but LSE told me that they would only look at my Economics module marks anyway.

How fierce is the competition for MSc Economics and other postgrad courses in the unis which I've mentioned above?

Any constructive comments would be appreciated! Cheers :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.