Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Trying to become an interpreter... watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hello students, I am currently also a student. lol

    so I have heard from a few people through family that interpreting is excellent to do and you get paid.

    My mother language is Kurdish and I am fluent in both kurdish and english.
    I want to start translating for people other than my family, I currently translate for my aunties, friends of theirs etc.

    Everyone who I've translated for is very pleased and says I make them understand very well, so now I want to become a legit guy who does it for cash.

    Sadly, I have no one to ask for advice from, and the internet is providing very low information.

    However, most of the information I've found tells me I need atleast a Post Graduate degree?(kurdish people herewho do translate don't have a college degrees, and they still do it so idk wtf they on)

    Does anyone know what I need to become an interpreter that will be called in for people who may have difficulties in hospitals and stuff?

    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by zeexl)
    For informal translating, just being fluent is good enough. However, most professional contexts for translating require qualifications because they are to do with very precise translation of words that have very strict legal/political/health/security meanings and there are strict conventions about the role of the translator and how they translate. So if you want to be a professional translator for an international organisation, the UN or similar, you will almost certainly need a qualification. If you just want to join a company that provides translation services you might get away without training.
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.