The Student Room Group

ATP: 'Corbyn supporters are angry single females with sporadic menstrual cycles.'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by EtherealNymph22
Men expect woman to shave their legs, pubic hair and armpits. Female cost more and so do all female products. Men like woman to look pretty and wear make up. Make up costs loads of money and guess what- more tax. The reason shaving is an absolutely ridiculous example to talk about is because there are female equivalents. There is no male equivalent to a period. Period. (see what I did there)

We could go on and on and on about what the sexes pay for and who is paying more tax but it's a first world problem and essentially sanitary products as a matter of principle shouldn't be taxed. Everything else is consumerism and isn't even relevant in the debate.

Companies usually don't expect women to shave - except in modelling - whilst in the army, or in most banking, consulting, and sales jobs it is expected for men to shave.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Companies usually don't expect women to shave - except in modelling - whilst in the army, or in most banking, consulting, and sales jobs it is expected for men to shave.

Literally a few jobs that expect men to shave is your example of why woman shouldn't be paying tax on sanitary products? Not even an argument. Please see my posts above especially my link to the times study on women paying more than men on the high street.
Reply 42
Original post by Katty3
Women don't want to be taxed for having periods. Decent quality tampons and pads are actually quite expensive. I say decent quality because the really cheap ones feel horrible and don't work as well.

Women have to shave with the same frequency as men do. We also have a larger area to shave. That means that razors wear out faster. That means that we have to spend more money on razors that are more expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much?
Reply 43
Literally a few jobs that expect men to shave is your example of why woman shouldn't be paying tax on sanitary products? Not even an argument. Please see my posts above especially my link to the times study on women paying more than men on the high street.

You compared women and men shaving. I said it was different because millions of men are required to shave for their work, compared to few women.
Reply 44
Although that isn't the argument is it. The argument is about taxing things that are essential and non-negotiable in the proliferation and success of humans as a species. I argue that sanitary products are the only item that truly fit this category, unless you want woman to have an implant and not reproduce, or leave blood everywhere at an inconvenience to yourself.

So we shouldn't tax water?
Original post by Josb
You compared women and men shaving. I said it was different because millions of men are required to shave for their work, compared to few women.

Oh god. I can't even continue. I'm just saying there are female equivalents to male products. And shaving is a social construct not a necessity. How long do you think companies have given a sh*t about male facial hair?

This whole discussion is around whether women should pay tax on sanitary products.

The fact that men are whining and don't think it's fair if we don't because they have to pay tax on a few razors when there are equivalent scenarios for women is ridiculous and illogical.
Original post by Josb
So we shouldn't tax water?

Pls, think. I'm talking about products that are SPECIFIC to either of the genders.

I've changed the post to make it clearer, as people who don't think and haven't followed the trail of that conversation would just leap to a WHAT ABOUT THIS SCENARIO response which is irrelevant and could go on forever.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Oh god. I can't even continue. I'm just saying there are female equivalents to male products. And shaving is a social construct not a necessity. How long do you think companies have given a sh*t about male facial hair?

This whole discussion is around whether women should pay tax on sanitary products.

The fact that men are whining and don't think it's fair if we don't because they have to pay tax on a few razors when there are equivalent scenarios for women is ridiculous and illogical.

I don't whine about having to pay for razors. I accept that.

So women shouldn't pay tax on toothpaste, cotton-buds, soap, shampoo, etc.? but men should?
(edited 8 years ago)
I never get the argument that because X is also taxed and classed as a luxury even though its used routinely, tampons should stay classed as a luxury and be taxed. If it bugs you that something key to your life is classed as a luxury and you get taxed, campaign to get it classed as an essential you lazy bugger.

Some of the things that are considered essential are insane:

Edible cake decorations,
Bingo
Exotic meat including horse and crocodile.

These are classed as "essential" and thus you pay 0% tax on them, but tampons are a luxury.
Original post by Josb
I don't whine about having to pay for razors. I accept that.

So women shouldn't pay tax on toothpaste, cotton-buds, soap, shampoo, etc.? but men should?

I just don't understand why this has turned into men saying I USE MORE TOILET ROLL and I HAVE TO SHAVE. Also razors are zero tax product aren't they?

It's just not relevant and we could go on forever arguing about the different things men and women use and pay tax on in this consumer culture.

It's that tampons are deemed a LUXURY product and as other people have pointed out, many items that are considered essential i.e. not luxury are ridiculous.

What I'd really like some of you to do is argue why, tampons are luxurious and not essential when the following supposedly are:

Jaffa Cakes
Edible Cake Decorations
Pitta Bread

The razor/shaving argument is literally redundant because razors aren't taxed.
Original post by Gwilym101
I never get the argument that because X is also taxed and classed as a luxury even though its used routinely, tampons should stay classed as a luxury and be taxed.

It's not necessarily a direct argument for taxing tampons as 'luxuries'. What it is is a solid rebuttal to the claim that the 'tampon tax' is a pernicious male conspiracy to charge women for necessary products. It is also a perfectly good argument to the effect that those campaigning against the tampon tax should, for consistency, also be campaigning against the toilet paper tax, the toothpaste tax, etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
I never get the argument that because X is also taxed and classed as a luxury even though its used routinely, tampons should stay classed as a luxury and be taxed. If it bugs you that something key to your life is classed as a luxury and you get taxed, campaign to get it classed as an essential you lazy bugger.

Some of the things that are considered essential are insane:

Edible cake decorations,
Bingo
Exotic meat including horse and crocodile.

These are classed as "essential" and thus you pay 0% tax on them, but tampons are a luxury.

I am against any reduced VAT rate, but I think these feminists would be more credible if they asked for an overhaul of the VAT rate system, and creating a category which would include all sanitary products - not just an exemption for tampons.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
It's not necessarily a direct argument for taxing tampons as essentials. What it is is a solid rebuttal to the claim that the 'tampon tax' is a pernicious male conspiracy to charge women for necessary products. It is also a perfectly good argument to the effect that those campaigning against the tampon tax should, for consistency, also be campaigning against the toilet paper tax, the toothpaste tax, etc.

Have you even read the thread or are you just weighing in at this point with more illogical arguments in tandem with the rest of the XY's in this thread.?
Original post by Josb
I am against any reduced VAT rate, but I think these feminists would be more credible if they asked for an overhaul of the VAT rate system, and creating a category which would include all sanitary products - not just an exemption for tampons.

It's colloquially referred to as 'the tampon tax' but it includes all sanitary products :facepalm:
Reply 54
I just don't understand why this has turned into men saying I USE MORE TOILET ROLL and I HAVE TO SHAVE. Also razors are zero tax product aren't they?

It's just not relevant and we could go on forever arguing about the different things men and women use and pay tax on in this consumer culture.

It's that tampons are deemed a LUXURY product and as other people have pointed out, many items that are considered essential i.e. not luxury are ridiculous.

What I'd really like some of you to do is argue why, tampons are luxurious and not essential when the following supposedly are:

Jaffa Cakes
Edible Cake Decorations
Pitta Bread

The razor/shaving argument is literally redundant because razors aren't taxed.

I didn't bring the loo rolls in this thread.

I'm copy-pasting what I said above:

Original post by TimmonaPortella
It's not necessarily a direct argument for taxing tampons as 'luxuries'. What it is is a solid rebuttal to the claim that the 'tampon tax' is a pernicious male conspiracy to charge women for necessary products. It is also a perfectly good argument to the effect that those campaigning against the tampon tax should, for consistency, also be campaigning against the toilet paper tax, the toothpaste tax, etc.

Original post by Josb

So basically because they're not campaigning to solve every problem, they're not allowed to campaign to solve any problem?

You don't think they could use a victory with the tampon tax to spear head a campaign to overhaul the classification system afterwards?
Have you even read the thread or are you just weighing in at this point with more illogical arguments in tandem with the rest of the XY's in this thread.?

I've read the thread, and the parallels being made are exactly right.

I don't know why you seem to think that arguments by counterexample are a waste of time.
Reply 57
It's colloquially referred to as 'the tampon tax' but it includes all sanitary products :facepalm:

It's the first time you have said this. So far you have only mentioned tampons.
Reply 58
Nothing should be classed as essential and everything should be taxed imo. Then no more arguments about this stupid stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59

You don't think they could use a victory with the tampon tax to spear head a campaign to overhaul the classification system afterwards?

They would have more support. I don't support the people who complain about tampon tax as they seem to say it's a male conspiracy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending