The Student Room Group

ATP: 'Corbyn supporters are angry single females with sporadic menstrual cycles.'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gwilym101
So basically because they're not campaigning to solve every problem, they're not allowed to campaign to solve any problem?

You don't think they could use a victory with the tampon tax to spear head a campaign to overhaul the classification system afterwards?

They're allowed to campaign for whatever they like. Everyone else is allowed to point out that they are cherry-picking, and that some of their arguments (e.g. this shouldn't be taxed because it is necessary) are nonsensical in a situation in which (a) other necessary products, including toiletries, are taxed, and (b) they don't appear to take issue with that.

As for your last suggestion, I think they've shown no inclination to do anything of the sort. Indeed most supporters of this campaign decry the idea that there's any similarity between the taxation of tampons and the taxation of other necessities, so they'd have no reason to.
Reply 61
Original post by Nurne
Nothing should be classed as essential and everything should be taxed imo. Then no more arguments about this stupid stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I've read the thread, and the parallels being made are exactly right.

I don't know why you seem to think that arguments by counterexample are a waste of time.

Because as a scientist, both anecdotal evidence and fitting examples to your theories is not logical and doesn't prove anything.

I'm also confused as to why this has evolved into a male versus female products debate and who uses more of what. Sanitary products are the only gender specific consumer product that are not a luxury, and are a consequence of a process essential to life on earth. That is why I believe they shouldn't be taxed.

If anyone can name another product that fits that category I would be interested.

And as I've said before, if men had an equivalent i.e they gushed sperm everywhere once a month for an entire week and it went all over their clothes and seats then I would support tax relief on that as well. This isn't a gender debate for me.
Original post by Josb
It's the first time you have said this. So far you have only mentioned tampons.

Do you know what colloquialism means?

Okay so now I will say

Tampons, Applicator Tampons and Mini Tampons- all sizes
Sanitary Pads- Extra Large, Large, Normal, Small (all with wings and no wings)

Just to avoid any confusion.

It's been dubbed the tampon tax. I've tried to use sanitary products more generally if possible but I didn't think I would have to spell this particular point out.
Reply 64
Original post by EtherealNymph22
Do you know what colloquialism means?

Okay so now I will say

Tampons, Applicator Tampons and Mini Tampons- all sizes
Sanitary Pads- Extra Large, Large, Normal, Small (all with wings and no wings)

Just to avoid any confusion.

It's been dubbed the tampon tax. I've tried to use sanitary products more generally if possible but I didn't think I would have to spell this particular point out.

By "all sanitary products", I meant all sanitary products for men and women, including soap, cotton buds, etc. not just period-related products.
Because as a scientist, both anecdotal evidence and fitting examples to your theories is not logical and doesn't prove anything.

I'm also confused as to why this has evolved into a male versus female products debate and who uses more of what. Sanitary products are the only gender specific consumer product that are not a luxury, and are a consequence of a process essential to life on earth. That is why I believe they shouldn't be taxed.

If anyone can name another product that fits that category I would be interested.

And as I've said before, if men had an equivalent i.e they gushed sperm everywhere once a month for an entire week and it went all over their clothes and seats then I would support tax relief on that as well. This isn't a gender debate for me.

But that's an arbitrary reason to decide what should and shouldn't be taxed, would you not agree?
Original post by Chief Wiggum
But that's an arbitrary reason to decide what should and shouldn't be taxed, would you not agree?

It might feel arbitrary to you, but try being on your period 25% of the time and come back to me.
It might feel arbitrary to you, but try being on your period 25% of the time and come back to me.

Right, and what about the Inflammatory Bowel Disease sufferer with recurrent flareups of diarrhoea? Why's he/she getting taxed on toilet roll?

Logic isn't different 'as a scientist'. If I can provide a logically equivalent counter-example, in relation to the arguments you've made, and you won't support the same conclusion, that demonstrates an inconsistency in your argument. That doesn't necessarily undermine all the reasons behind your original argument, but in this case it does undermine some of them, and it is in any event a perfectly valid form of response.

You seem to be arguing with 'gender-specific essentials shouldn't be taxed' as a premise, whereas what it should be is a conclusion with some support behind it. The rest of us are saying that we don't see what difference that makes, when plenty of toiletries used by both genders, and other groups, in varying amounts are taxed.
Right, and what about the Inflammatory Bowel Disease sufferer with recurrent flareups of diarrhoea? Why's he/she getting taxed on toilet roll?

Your answer is in your last question and your use of he/she.

As I said before which you highlighted but didn't provide an example for:

Sanitary products are the only gender specific consumer product that are not a luxury, and are a consequence of a process essential to life on earth. That is why I believe they shouldn't be taxed.

Toilet roll isn't an example. And you can't selectively tax anything based on some users supposedly needing it more than others due to a health condition.

But sanitary products wouldn't be taxed selectively- the argument is that none should be taxed and this would affect all women.
Original post by Josb
By "all sanitary products", I meant all sanitary products for men and women, including soap, cotton buds, etc. not just period-related products.

Search sanitary products on google and see what happens.

Yes the word SANITARY means of health and hygiene or whatever but 'sanitary products' is again, colloquial for women's period tings.

I asked in my previous post for something that is equivalent to tampons and period pads (spelling it out now to avoid confusion) with the following conditions:

Sanitary products are the only gender specific consumer product that are not a luxury, and are a consequence of a process essential to life on earth. That is why I believe they shouldn't be taxed.

I said some more of the same stuff to Chief Wiggum above so please feel free to read that.
Reply 71
I disagree with the statement, his supporters are the blacks muslims polish and so on, aswell as the poor working class. All normal British people are towards the right
Original post by AboveTheParapet
The tax on razor blades is higher than the tax on tampons.

Men need to shave more frequently than women. Correct - women can't just choose not to have a period. Much in the same way I just can't choose not to grow a beard. So...there's a simple solution. Men won't shave and women will bleed freely. Sorted. Either that, or we both accept taxation, much like there's taxation on ALL of life's necessities.

To me, all this demonstrates is women aren't willing to pay their way on EQUAL terms to men - I thought women were strong, capable and empowered? On that basis, why should they be afforded preferential treatment? So, do you want preferential treatment, or equality?

Men’s razors are taxed as necessities because you need to avoid stubble
Women’s sanitary products are taxed as luxuries because you don’t need to avoid getting covered in your own blood

And why should women have to "pay" to be equal with men?
Your answer is in your last question and your use of he/she.

As I said before which you highlighted but didn't provide an example for:

Toilet roll isn't an example. And you can't selectively tax anything based on some users supposedly needing it more than others due to a health condition.

But sanitary products wouldn't be taxed selectively- the argument is that none should be taxed and this would affect all women.

I don't see why "People who have IBD" and "People who don't have IBD" is any less of a valid categorisation of people than "Men" and "Women".

Defecation is also pretty necessary to life.
I don't see why "People who have IBD" and "People who don't have IBD" is any less of a valid categorisation of people than "Men" and "Women".

Defecation is also pretty necessary to life.

Because there's no way a selective tax is feasible.

Tax removal on sanitary products is not actually discriminating against anyone within the population. All women would be affected equally and no men would because they don't have periods (at least last time I checked).

So it's simple. Remove it.

Can you do that and manage so that people with health conditions which necessitate more toilet roll are tax relieved but 'normal' people aren't?

You're using a hypothetical example which is distinct from the one in question and as such is irrelevant.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 75
Search sanitary products on google and see what happens.

Yes the word SANITARY means of health and hygiene or whatever but 'sanitary products' is again, colloquial for women's period tings.

I asked in my previous post for something that is equivalent to tampons and period pads (spelling it out now to avoid confusion) with the following conditions:

I said some more of the same stuff to Chief Wiggum above so please feel free to read that.

You know that is impossible to find a similar example for men.

However:

1. Tampons are not necessary, you can use a menstrual cup.

2. The tax you pay on tampons is ridiculous, at best £15 a year. It's not a massive expense.

3. Exempting/taxing physical differences is a dangerous path. Should women be taxed more because they live longer? Should beautiful people be taxed more because they are more successful? The equality of outcome is impossible.
Taxation should remain the same for everybody. If you want to reduce the tax on tampons, ask to reduce VAT on every hygiene, sanitary or whatever products. Do not ask for a special treatment.
Because there's no way a selective tax is feasible.

Tax removal on sanitary products is not actually discriminating against anyone within the population. All women would be affected equally and no men would because they don't have periods (at least last time I checked).

So it's simple. Remove it.

Can you do that and manage so that people with health conditions which necessitate more toilet roll are tax relieved but 'normal' people aren't?

You're using a hypothetical example which is distinct from the one in question and as such is irrelevant.

Frankly for all that you claim to be a 'scientist' and 'logical', you don't seem to be able to follow the simple logically consistent arguments that people are making and are stubbornly sticking to your view by continuously moving the goalposts.

Let's make it really simple and look at your main arguments.

1) Tampons are a necessity, they should not be classed as a luxury and taxed as such.

A: Many other products are also necessities but taxed as luxuries. Why are tampons specifically the issue, rather than a rewrite of tax codes generally?

2) Tampons are both a necessity AND their taxation is unfair to a specific group of people, hence discriminatory.

A: Toilet roll is both a necessity AND its taxation is unfair to a specific group of people - why are tampons specifically the issue, rather than a rewrite of tax codes generally?

3) Tampons are both a necessity AND their taxation is unfair to a specific group of people AND this group of people is defined by their gender AND safeguarding genders (specifically in this case, women) against discrimination is more important than safeguarding discrimination of any other categorisation of people.

A: Oh, so you're one of those people. Good thing you're logical and a scientist though, otherwise I could have sworn you're just a biased self-interested tart!
Original post by ClickItBack
Frankly for all that you claim to be a 'scientist' and 'logical', you don't seem to be able to follow the simple logically consistent arguments that people are making and are stubbornly sticking to your view by continuously moving the goalposts.

Let's make it really simple and look at your main arguments.

1) Tampons are a necessity, they should not be classed as a luxury and taxed as such.

A: Many other products are also necessities but taxed as luxuries. Why are tampons specifically the issue, rather than a rewrite of tax codes generally?

2) Tampons are both a necessity AND their taxation is unfair to a specific group of people, hence discriminatory.

A: Toilet roll is both a necessity AND its taxation is unfair to a specific group of people - why are tampons specifically the issue, rather than a rewrite of tax codes generally?

3) Tampons are both a necessity AND their taxation is unfair to a specific group of people AND this group of people is defined by their gender AND safeguarding genders (specifically in this case, women) against discrimination is more important than safeguarding discrimination of any other categorisation of people.

A: Oh, so you're one of those people. Good thing you're logical and a scientist though, otherwise I could have sworn you're just a biased self-interested tart!

I'm not biased nor am I self interested. The money isn't actually an issue. I can afford to pay for tampons with VAT and as someone mentioned above its not a huge cost on a yearly basis. So I don't really have anything to gain financially- just I think it's a matter of principle.

It's funny that people are saying I'm biased when the only people disagreeing with me are people who have no idea what periods are like. They are gash, to put it simply. A massive inconvenience every month to my life.

I have also said a number of times that if there were a male equivalent product I would support tax relief on it. To me this isn't a gender based discussion.

My logic is that the reason the tampon tax was maintained is because they are deemed luxury items and in no way does this make sense. And it impacts both sexes. Men suggest stuff like menstrual cups have no idea what it is like to bleed extensively for a number of days. I'm sure you wouldn't want blood literally everywhere in public places. Women don't stay at home anymore. Times have changed, and certain taxes that deem products like tampons as luxury should be reconsidered in the fact that as a women I am saying they are essential, and most women in our society agree.

I am not disputing having to pay for them. I am not even moaning about my personal tax bill as a result of having periods. I'm just simply saying a tax on a product which is deemed to be a luxury when it is undoubtedly an essential is illogical.

In a perfect world id agree with you that all people affected disproportionately by a certain phenomena I.e sh*tting could also have tax relief. But it is not realistically possible to implement. It's hard to selectively tax one product. But my argument is also based upon the fact it would be simple to remove tax on sanitary products as there is no differential between women that have periods. We all have them. All other examples open up a question of subjectivity which could be abused eg the welfare system.

and the fact you've referred to me as a self interested Tart, which is essentially what you did in the last part of your post because your logical scientist references are sarcastic, helps me to understand the nature and thinking behind your response. Thanks for the indirect clarification.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Josb
How much?

The type I use are £1.90. It doesn't sound a lot, but it does add up. You can get cheap ones but they feel absolutely horrible and are more prone to leaking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
It's true. This also explains why they are complaining so much about the 'tampon tax'.

Useless libertarian spotted.

Anyone that is saying tampons or any type of female hygiene products for periods are a luxury item is a complete tool.

It's funny that people are saying I'm biased when the only people disagreeing with me are people who have no idea what periods are like. They are gash, to put it simply. A massive inconvenience every month to my life.

Periods sound much more annoying, what with the whole constant leakage (:tongue:). I was going to compare tampon tax to a toilet paper tax but apparently toilet paper has VAT. WTF!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending