The Student Room Group

ATP: 'Corbyn supporters are angry single females with sporadic menstrual cycles.'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Ethereal World
I said that men exist because of the process that periods are a result of aka ovulation. Periods are a result of ovulation as are babies. That is what I said. The key is in the word process. I've already pointed it out before but there you go again just incase.

I'm not arrogant or rude it's just this thread has been running for a while and I got a lot of ignorant sh*t from guys and I've already been through your above point with several of them if you had bothered to read through the thread.

No, they aren't! God, do you even understand basic menstrual facts? Periods ONLY occur if the egg is UNFERTILIZED. Thus men cannot be a result of periods because they only occur when there is not pregnancy.

Yes, you are. You are being sarcastic, you are insulting and you are just plain wrong! You do not understand the inner workings of the menstrual cycle nearly as well as you could. You have been wrong more than once here, I suggest you stop now
Original post by sw651
No, they aren't! God, do you even understand basic menstrual facts? Periods ONLY occur if the egg is UNFERTILIZED. Thus men cannot be a result of periods because they only occur when there is not pregnancy.

Yes, you are. You are being sarcastic, you are insulting and you are just plain wrong! You do not understand the inner workings of the menstrual cycle nearly as well as you could. You have been wrong more than once here, I suggest you stop now

I understand this. I am a woman.

I said that periods are a result of the process that is essential for life proliferation.

I didn't say periods are necessary for reproduction. Quite the contrary actually. A period signifies that as you so rightly say and as you so think I don't know, that fertilisation hasn't taken place so the egg is released in the menstruation.

Women releasing an egg every month is vital for reproduction. Whether it gets fertilised or not is irrelevant as to whether the process is essential or not. I haven't once said that periods themselves = reproduction.

If women decided to have an implant or take a progesterone only pill to stop periods altogether then they can't get pregnant. So having a natural period is the consequence we pay for ovulating without fertilisation which is most of the time, apart from maybe twice in our life on average.

You might have got your back up or think that I'm rude but I have two issues with how you are reacting here.

1. You didn't understand the nature of my post and before you clarified with me you thought you should point something out in the name of being pedantic, as if I didn't already know.

2. You didn't bother to read through the thread to observe the previous responses to my point and my counter arguments. If you had done you wouldn't have responded to a comment that is old with what you failed to do in point 1.
Reply 102
I understand this. I am a woman.

I said that periods are a result of the process that is essential for life proliferation.

I didn't say periods are necessary for reproduction. Quite the contrary actually. A period signifies that as you so rightly say and as you so think I don't know, that fertilisation hasn't taken place so the egg is released in the menstruation.

Women releasing an egg every month is vital for reproduction. Whether it gets fertilised or not is irrelevant as to whether the process is essential or not. I haven't once said that periods themselves = reproduction.

If women decided to have an implant or take a progesterone only pill to stop periods altogether then they can't get pregnant. So having a natural period is the consequence we pay for ovulating without fertilisation which is most of the time, apart from maybe twice in our life on average.

You might have got your back up or think that I'm rude but I have two issues with how you are reacting here.

1. You didn't understand the nature of my post and before you clarified with me you thought you should point something out in the name of being pedantic, as if I didn't already know.

2. You didn't bother to read through the thread to observe the previous responses to my point and my counter arguments. If you had done you wouldn't have responded to a comment that is old with what you failed to do in point 1.

Just because you are a woman doesn't mean you understand it at all.

Then retract you statement that men are a result of periods and admit you are wrong!

I simply made a comment as a joke. God damn. You have some issues.
Original post by AboveTheParapet
'white men should never hold elected position in British universities again' (from the Independent)

you trolling, right?

Why would they say that ? that's ridicilous
Original post by sw651
Just because you are a woman doesn't mean you understand it at all.

Then retract you statement that men are a result of periods and admit you are wrong!

I simply made a comment as a joke. God damn. You have some issues.

I never made that statement so have nothing to retract.

It could have been funny but you were trying to be a pedant and you were wrong.

I made a similar level of joke back and then you jumped on it and started reacting.

Not gonna apologise for you not understanding what I said or not making any effort to understand it through reading the thread properly.

I've already been through this with so many guys on this thread and have found their ignorance quite outstanding. My impatience and tone comes from the fact I am unwilling to go through this again.
Reply 105
I never made that statement so have nothing to retract.

It could have been funny but you were trying to be a pedant and you were wrong.

I made a similar level of joke back and then you jumped on it and started reacting.

Not gonna apologise for you not understanding what I said or not making any effort to understand it through reading the thread properly.

I've already been through this with so many guys on this thread and have found their ignorance quite outstanding. My impatience and tone comes from the fact I am unwilling to go through this again.

You did, literally a few posts ago!

You know what, let's just agree to disagree
The maintenance that women should pay for this stuff because we are the child bearing sex is mentality from the 50s and people who are clinging on to the patriarchy. Pls use your brains.

I think it's more recent than that... the 50's had more of a sense that we should stand together as a society and that having children was necessary for the continuation of that society. I don't think it was an era when the idea making individual women pay for the privileged of having a womb would have got much traction. The guff on this thread is more of a symptom of the hyper-individualistic thinking that really started to take off in the 80's imo.

...plus in the 50's it'd have been seen more as a tax on the mans wage anyway since fewer women had their own incomes.
Original post by Joinedup
I think it's more recent than that... the 50's had more of a sense that we should stand together as a society and that having children was necessary for the continuation of that society. I don't think it was an era when the idea making individual women pay for the privileged of having a womb would have got much traction. The guff on this thread is more of a symptom of the hyper-individualistic thinking that really started to take off in the 80's imo.

...plus in the 50's it'd have been seen more as a tax on the mans wage anyway since fewer women had their own incomes.

Agreed. Entirely actually. If I pop that comparison in in future I will reference the 80s :wink:
OP, people say worse about those who are right-leaning. My leftie friends can be so angry to those they disagree with. They all but call them murderers.

The insult doesn't come from us having to pay for tampons every month. Like that's just an acceptable thing that we have to pay for this stuff to avoid blood going absolutely everywhere (which I'm sure nobody would love). It's the fact that it's taxed BECAUSE it's a luxury item. It's just the principle of that is ridiculous.

It's a broken system anyway. Toilet paper and toothpaste are also considered luxuries and are given the full 20%. Focusing on the tampon tax is stupid imo. You can say that it needs an overhaul but you can't focus on tampons as there are many inconsistencies.

You could use a reusable menstrual cup.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
It's a broken system anyway. Toilet paper and toothpaste are also considered luxuries and are given the full 20%. Focusing on the tampon tax is stupid imo. You can say that it needs an overhaul but you can't focus on tampons as there are many inconsistencies.

You could use a reusable menstrual cup.

Well yes but we've discussed on the threads why tampons would be a good first step towards correcting the system and they have also been deemed luxury more officially and recently so debating them is more relevant.

Wins for one product can then escalate. The whole thing brings up a lot of subjectivity.

Please don't say you could use a menstrual cup when you are a guy. Do you have any idea what it's like to have blood pouring out of you when you are a working woman or if you want to go out or do anything ever?!!

It's like me saying you can use newspaper for your Arse if you think that tax shouldn't be paid on toilet paper.

It's like me saying you can use newspaper for your Arse if you think that tax shouldn't be paid on toilet paper.

Or sandpaper. :wink:
Reply 111
Original post by nverjvlev
You obviously have no idea how VAT works - it's an ad valorem tax added to the value of pretty much everything you buy. The current standard rate is 20% but some merit goods have a reduced rate of 5%.

I know how VAT works, and you dodged the question.

How much VAT do you pay every month for your tampons? If you can't make the maths, just tell me how much you pay for tampons.
Reply 112
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Or sandpaper. :wink:

The Japanese don't use either of those. :wink:
Original post by Josb
I know how VAT works, and you dodged the question.

How much VAT do you pay every month for your tampons? If you can't make the maths, just tell me how much you pay for tampons.

It's not so much the amount that's paid, it's that tampons and sanitary pads are seen as a luxury and not a necessity when a helicopter is seen as a necessity. I don't know about you, but that seems like it's the wrong way round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
Original post by Katty3
It's not so much the amount that's paid, it's that tampons and sanitary pads are seen as a luxury and not a necessity when a helicopter is seen as a necessity. I don't know about you, but that seems like it's the wrong way round.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should stop saying it's a "luxury", just say "it is taxed the standard 20% rate".

As I said above in the thread, the VAT rates system should be overhauled.

Quick Reply

Latest