Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Cultural appropriation" when will it stop? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...indian-culture

Simply ridiculous.

I'd agree if they were parodying the culture, but they aren't...

ReputationRep:
    Social justice warriors gonna social justice
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'll never understand this. It implies culture is some sort of static idea, solely owned by those of one particular race or nationality.

ReputationRep:
    The real question is, when will people stop whinginh about nothing.

But it's not wrong to dress up as a geisha for Halloween? Or wear lederhosen even if you're not German?

Who decides the cultures it's okay to 'appropriate' from?

Smells like double standards to me

ReputationRep:
    If you're Indian and you're offended by this, then fair enough. I do think you're very sensitive though, it has to be said.

If you're not Indian and you're taking offence on behalf of somebody else then you can **** right off.

ReputationRep:
    People are too sensitive. Culture appropriation is promoting the culture, which is good. Even if they make a mockery of it, people will see through it, condemning the people who made a mockery of it, whilst the culture still receives publicity.
    What is so bad about cultural appropriation? Mixing cultures together and creating new identities is something we have done for centuries, and is what has made the human race so great and culturally diverse.
    You do not own the culture, and Coldplay + Beyonce are not insulting it, so stop being oversensitive, embrace their cultural appreciation and enjoy the video - it is a song! Not a political message or idea...

ReputationRep:
    Wait, I'm confused ... aren't these the same people who expound multiculturalism as a virtue? Aren't they the same people who are telling us that exposure to these other cultures can be enriching? I'm very confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Wait, I'm confused ... aren't these the same people who expound multiculturalism as a virtue? Aren't they the same people who are telling us that exposure to these other cultures can be enriching? I'm very confused.
    We never said they were consistent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    We never said they were consistent.
    Ah, I see. So, correct me if I'm mistaken, but is the general idea that because I'm "privileged", everything I do is somehow wrong?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt_Haytham)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...indian-culture

Simply ridiculous.

I'd agree if they were parodying the culture, but they aren't...
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post62372383
    Lel

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see. So, correct me if I'm mistaken, but is the general idea that because I'm "privileged", everything I do is somehow wrong?
    Woah now cowby, I ain't no SJW! I was just pointing out that consistency among them folks ain't a common thaaang!

ReputationRep:
    Now you've got it

mfw straight white male

ReputationRep:
    It's Naziism for non-whites. These same people of course have no problem with international use of the English language or standard business dress.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do White people you'll always have people call you racists. Why not eliminate the problem, by kicking them all back to their ancestral homeland?

ReputationRep:
    So...wait. People are entitled to their own culture, their own country and their own way of life?

I refuse to believe it. We must all be diverse; we must be so diverse we must all live among each other, while living apart from each other, together. We must congregate together, en masse, in our own little conclaves, in our own little towns, and then label it 'multiculturalism.' Take Tower Hamlets - cultural homogeneity is clearly multiculturalism.

ReputationRep:
    Culture is something to be celebrated and respected, if those involved do both of these things then I see nothing wrong with it. I feel like a lot of the people getting offended aren't actually part of the culture, they just feel like social justice warriors. As long as those who are part of the culture have no problem with, it's fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    As long as those who are part of the culture have no problem with, it's fine
    So, on the basis 68% of British people want a reduction in mass immigration (according to the British Social Attitudes Survey), mass immigration isn't 'fine'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sick My Duck)
    So, on the basis 68% of British people want a reduction in mass immigration (according to the British Social Attitudes Survey), mass immigration isn't 'fine'?
    Immigration isn't just a cultural issue, we're talking about, mainly, the appearance of a culture and how it is used to sell music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    It's Naziism for non-whites. These same people of course have no problem with international use of the English language or standard business dress.
    Western culture invites and, at times, demands assimilation. Not every culture has chosen to open itself up to being adopted by outsiders in the same way.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.