Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I’m 23, final year at uni and have never worked, need advice. Watch

Announcements

My course ends in April this year and after that I won’t be doing anything so I’ll be looking for a job. Now I’ve never worked before so I don’t where to go from here, what’s the first step I take? Is it possible to get a decent job with a HND certificate but no previous experience? Like £18k plus salary job? I am studying IT course so I am interested in a sort of job that involves use of computers. I don’t mind working elsewhere like sales assistant at Asda to gain experience and confidence. How can I prepare myself for a career job?

ReputationRep:
    From what I've been told while it's possible you may be hired right onto a decent job straight out of uni, a lot of employers don't look favourably on people with 0 work time under their belt as they can view you as a bit if a risk. Of course work in a relevant job to the ones you will be applying to would be preferred, but from what employers/uni advisers have told me just any work is better than nothing so you may just want to get a part time job while you can?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.