Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To Achieve the Improbable Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To start things off, my tale is probably too common. I was one of those kids who managed to do well in GCSE without much work and decided to keep to the same level during my AS and A2. Finally finishing with the pretty rubbish set of results:

C - OCR Biology
    D - OCR Chemistry
    D - AQA Maths

However my current highest offer for Aston University Biological Sciences is ABB (Somehow, I managed to get an offer despite my grades and having no predicted grades?!)
    ABB being the highest possible grades I can get with the exams I am resitting and my AS results.

Failing so miserably, I decided to spend my gap year (I was planning on taking it before my results) to resit a ton of exams and hopefully bring my grades up.

So this year I will be embarking on resitting 8 modules, studying for them at home. I am effectively resitting A2 (+An AS exam).

To start with I decided to get the MyStudyPlan app on my phone to make a revision timetable and use all my money on revision guides. The hardest part is to keep motivated, with the majority of my friends being in university and a few still in school it is difficult to find anyone to talk to about my subjects. Like I have found myself not keeping up with my revision timetable some days which is not a good sign but hopefully I can soon ingrain this into my psyche.

My goal right now is to use the hand I've been dealt and get into University, I won't be going to any prestigious RG-Uni but hopefully the skills I gather with the self-studying will put me in a better position in University and I can prove myself at University.
    Spoiler:
    Show

January 2009 - Not Done
    June 2009 - Not Done
    January 2010 - Not Done
    June 2010 - Not Done
    January 2011 - Not Done
    June 2011 - Not Done
    January 2012 - Not Done
    June 2012 - 41
    January 2013 - 39
    June 2013 - 45
    June 2014 - 38
    June 2015 - Not Done
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    To start things off, my tale is probably too common. I was one of those kids who managed to do well in GCSE without much work and decided to keep to the same level during my AS and A2. Finally finishing with the pretty rubbish set of results:

C - OCR Biology
    D - OCR Chemistry
    D - AQA Maths

However my current highest offer for Aston University Biological Sciences is ABB (Somehow, I managed to get an offer despite my grades and having no predicted grades?!)
    ABB being the highest possible grades I can get with the exams I am resitting and my AS results.

Failing so miserably, I decided to spend my gap year (I was planning on taking it before my results) to resit a ton of exams and hopefully bring my grades up.

So this year I will be embarking on resitting 8 modules, studying for them at home. I am effectively resitting A2 (+An AS exam).

To start with I decided to get the MyStudyPlan app on my phone to make a revision timetable and use all my money on revision guides. The hardest part is to keep motivated, with the majority of my friends being in university and a few still in school it is difficult to find anyone to talk to about my subjects. Like I have found myself not keeping up with my revision timetable some days which is not a good sign but hopefully I can soon ingrain this into my psyche.

My goal right now is to use the hand I've been dealt and get into University, I won't be going to any prestigious RG-Uni but hopefully the skills I gather with the self-studying will put me in a better position in University and I can prove myself at University.
    I like your determination. :rave::rave:

Good luck with the blog/exams!

ReputationRep:
    Update 1
    It has been a while since my last update and to be truthful I've been slacking however as I've been slowly trudging along at a snail's pace, I have managed to get a tutor. I realised that even though I had covered some areas, I have a lot of work to do to fully learn it. I will be doing a past-paper with my tutor on Wednesday, so before that I am trying to get to the end of this unit for chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Update 2
    Yesterday, I went over the 2015 Unit 4 paper for Chemistry, I did appallingly last time round with a big fat U. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was actually able to give most questions a good go, and get quite a few correct answers. I'm not going to lie and say I aced it, there's still work that needs to be done. But considering how I didn't even pass last year round, I know that I am actually capable.

ReputationRep:
    Update 3
    For Chemistry I am doing the most recent papers first and moving backwards, so far I have done June 15,14 and 13. However June 15 was more open-book and looking over what I've done so it's not been marked.
    June 14 - The first paper I did alone, lots of silly errors made me end up with 37/60 which was a D. 38 was a C and 42 was a B, so I guess it wasn't too bad but I really wish I had not slipped up.
    June 13 - Second paper I've done, still dropping stupid marks on forgetting key words and a rounding error but I managed 45/60 this time which was straight on a B, considering my actual grade in F324 was a U, this seems like a good improvement and it feels good.

It's only 2 papers and one was a D and the other a B, so a C average (2 sample size - I know) but compared to the U I got last year, and I was even getting 15/60 in my mock exams to be able to triple that, I feel is a good improvement. The UMS increase from a C which is 54 UMS vs 35 which is the most you can get for a U (can't remember my actual UMS for the paper), would bring my grade pretty close to being a C.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, you are improving with every paper that you do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Awesome, you are improving with every paper that you do
    I know Chemistry really isn't my strong point but I really hope, once I cover all the bases and I get all the 'easy' marks, I can get in the high 40s or 50 in every paper I do.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I know Chemistry really isn't my strong point but I really hope, once I cover all the bases and I get all the 'easy' marks, I can get in the high 40s or 50 in every paper I do.
    :toofunny: cover all the bases :borat:

That's good, it should come over time by consolidating your knowledge and getting used to exam technique as well as seeing common exam q's.

ReputationRep:
    Update 3.1
    Not really academic related at all, but I just got a job interview at Explore Learning for next week. Will be my first job offer of the year and looks pretty exciting. Two shifts a week is also pretty decent, as the only bill I really have is my phone bill, meaning I can focus the rest of my time on studying.

Not to jump the gun though, I'm sure they get plenty of applicants, also working with children is a first for me but hopefully my sister has prepared me for this.

Update 3.2
    I have a Chemistry lesson tomorrow morning so I decided to do a second past paper (a bit late), at like 1am to have more to show tomorrow, this time I did January 13. Wasn't sure about 1 of the answers, so I decided to leave it unmarked and I'll check tomorrow. So I'll mark out of 58.
    Jan 13 - 38/58, seems I've slipped back.The annoying aspect is I did quite well on most of the questions except the 1st where I only got 6/17. Pretty disappointing

Plans for today (26th) will be to go over some more Maths and Biology.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.