A-Level Religious Studies or Government & Politics?

Watch
rflxvvrbs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm stuck between the two. I'm good at them both and I enjoy them both, so I can't filter them that way. I'm doing Maths, English Lit, and Spanish for the other choices. One of my friends is doing RS while no one I like is doing politics. I don't need either for a future career, but I'm considering a career in international relations or as a political adviser so g&p may be useful but its not required at any university.

RS is religious ethics and philosophy of religion, g&p is northern irish & british politics, then political power & comparative study of the uk vs the us.
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would suggest choosing Government and Politics, especially as you're considering a career in that area. Also, please don't make your decision based on what subjects your friends are doing (not suggesting that you were going to, just a reminder)
Protagoras
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rflxvvrbs)
I'm considering a career in international relations or as a political adviser so g&p may be useful
You've answered your own question!
Georgina-Lucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took that religious studies course for two weeks, hated it deeply and then switched to politics which I am loving. That's just my experience though.
lmg1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rflxvvrbs;[url="tel:62372191")
62372191[/url]]I'm stuck between the two. I'm good at them both and I enjoy them both, so I can't filter them that way. I'm doing Maths, English Lit, and Spanish for the other choices. One of my friends is doing RS while no one I like is doing politics. I don't need either for a future career, but I'm considering a career in international relations or as a political adviser so g&p may be useful but its not required at any university.

RS is religious ethics and philosophy of religion, g&p is northern irish & british politics, then political power & comparative study of the uk vs the us.
I assume your exam board is CCEA if it is nothern irish politics, anyways some of my friends are currently studying both government and politics and RS at AS level and prefer RS just because there is a lot more to learn in G&P but on the RS papers you get 35 marks which seem terrible (they also want to do a course relating to politics). You should choose what you feels you would like the most.
Mistir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am doing government and politics this year as, it's very challenging. You have to put a lot of efforts into it. Also you must be interested in politics to succeed... Gov+Pol is one of the most 'academic' and hard A-level in humanities. Very well seen by universities!

I would say if you are ready for the challengeee and are a good student go for politics. Otherwise, go for RS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads