The Student Room Group

Double Award or three separate sciences?

Even though I am very good at science I have chosen to only do Double Award for GCSE so I can have other choices (triple science takes up an option at my school) but should I do all three separately and get three decent grades like 3 Bs or Double Award and maybe get 2 As or even 2 A*s?

Scroll to see replies

That's a weird system. It shouldn't take up an option choice.

But yes, I'd do the 3 separately. They're piss easy. If you can get 2As in the double then you can get 3A's in the triple. The extra work only amounts to 2 weeks of revision (or at least that's how it was for us)

Double science + a completely different course is way more work than just doing 3 sciences (that's only the case at GCSE though)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lawliettt
That's a weird system. It shouldn't take up an option choice.

But yes, I'd do the 3 separately. They're piss easy. If you can get 2As in the double then you can get 3A's in the triple. The extra work only amounts to 2 weeks of revision (or at least that's how it was for us)

Double science + a completely different course is way more work than just doing 3 sciences (that's only the case at GCSE though)

I know what you mean but doing an extra course means I have a good balance for me due to the limitations of our choices
Reply 3
Triple is better in my opinion but it depends on how much work you want to put in
Reply 4
Original post by kn6440
Triple is better in my opinion but it depends on how much work you want to put in

Yeah I just don't really have the majority of what I'm studying be science oriented
Reply 5
Original post by RyzoRGS
Even though I am very good at science I have chosen to only do Double Award for GCSE so I can have other choices (triple science takes up an option at my school) but should I do all three separately and get three decent grades like 3 Bs or Double Award and maybe get 2 As or even 2 A*s?

In my school we have to do the triple sciences, one subject each year. If I had a choice, though, I still would have gone for it because it's easier and I would think it's far more useful as a qualification - you end up getting three GCSEs and they would allow you to do A-level in each of the three sciences if you get at least a B in them. the three sciences are REALLY easy - even though I got two Bs so far becuase I kept screwing it up at the end after getting A*s all year, lol.
Reply 6
Original post by tim_72
In my school we have to do the triple sciences, one subject each year. If I had a choice, though, I still would have gone for it because it's easier and I would think it's far more useful as a qualification - you end up getting three GCSEs and they would allow you to do A-level in each of the three sciences if you get at least a B in them. the three sciences are REALLY easy - even though I got two Bs so far becuase I kept screwing it up at the end after getting A*s all year, lol.

From what I know my school teaches A level sciences as if we had studied double award so if I get at least a B in each individual module I can study the sciences at A level
Reply 7
Choosing to do Double is dumb take triple and get at last three A's then ur options are open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yes, 3 is bigger than 2 on the number line!
Reply 9
And A is better than B

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Red1470
Choosing to do Double is dumb take triple and get at last three A's then ur options are open.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But in my case it actually gives me less options since it takes up a choice and I want to study other subjects
Reply 11
It's worth taking up an option trust me u will regret not taking it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Red1470

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to choose double award anyway since it is better for my situation and it's only GCSEs, my A levels are more important
Reply 13
Original post by Red1470

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also that will only leave me with one extra option which I would want to be Compiter Science meaning my subjects would be mostly sciences, a language and compulsory subjects but if I take Double Award I can add in History which I really enjoy.
Original post by RyzoRGS

You've messed up. You'll regret not picking Triple Award once you're in Year 11; I'm feeling the regret right at this moment...
If you want to do double, do double. I changed from triple to double because I knew I'd get better grades with the latter. It honestly makes no difference to your future, and I'd rather have one less GCSE but better grades. Universities don't care either way so pick what you're comfortable with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamie Vardy
You've messed up. You'll regret not picking Triple Award once you're in Year 11; I'm feeling the regret right at this moment...

Can I ask why you regret it? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Can I ask why you regret it? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because Chemistry is the subject I'm best at and I'm looking to progress beyond GCSE, onto A-Level and even degree (if I can get there).
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Because Chemistry is the subject I'm best at and I'm looking to progress beyond GCSE, onto A-Level and even degree (if I can get there).

And you'll have no problem doing all of those things without triple! I'm in my second year of a biology degree without triple :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Ur school is stupid at ours providing ur smart enough we do triple science double maths, double English, RE and citizenship plus 4 choices

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest