The Student Room Group

Double Award or three separate sciences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Red1470
Ur school is stupid at ours providing ur smart enough we do triple science double maths, double English, RE and citizenship plus 4 choices

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I actually live in Northern Ireland, not England so I assume there are some diferences. And we have 45 periods a week with 5 periods per subject so our choices are limited
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
I'm just confused why people say I will regret it. It won't be the end of the world I'm just learning a bit less science to learn something else. I stll have all the options for A level as long as I get at least a B in all areas
Reply 22
Triple science students will be picked over you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red1470
Triple science students will be picked over you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true in the slightest!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
For a level, if there's me against him he's got A,A and I have A,A,B for a place studying let's say Chen, bio,phy, maths I would get the place without considering other subjects, so actually is true

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
^ This, if at A level you want to do a science related course the person with triple will be picked over the person with history.
Original post by Red1470
For a level, if there's me against him he's got A,A and I have A,A,B for a place studying let's say Chen, bio,phy, maths I would get the place without considering other subjects, so actually is true

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Ford1337
^ This, if at A level you want to do a science related course the person with triple will be picked over the person with history.

I've not once heard of anyone being disadvantaged from taking double, at A level or university. As I said, I'm at university studying a science despite having done just two science GCSEs. I have friends studying science with double. They may have been picked over someone with triple. GCSE subjects just generally mean very very little.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RyzoRGS
Even though I am very good at science I have chosen to only do Double Award for GCSE so I can have other choices (triple science takes up an option at my school) but should I do all three separately and get three decent grades like 3 Bs or Double Award and maybe get 2 As or even 2 A*s?

Taking a double or a triple award has no bearing as long as you can justify why you took it. In uni, they'll just ask you why. There's no candidate that's better for taking triple

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
At uni yes, if u take double u would have to get better grades than the person with triple to get picked as they are showing they are a better candidate by being able to manage, take and get gd grades in triple

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Triple is also more demanding; it is less about reciting the textbook as the double is, and a lot more focused in applying your knowledge.
Original post by Red1470
At uni yes, if u take double u would have to get better grades than the person with triple to get picked as they are showing they are a better candidate by being able to manage, take and get gd grades in triple

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, because some people don't have the option to study triple.

Take my boyfriend as an example. Achieved very mediocre GCSE grades, but got A, B in double science, got offers from universities such as Exeter, Sheffield, and York.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Generally the smartest people take triple not so smart double and even less smart single - what does that tell u?
Sure u can turn it around at A level but for that level of study triple is what the best science students take whether u like it or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
U missed the A level bit, clearly he did better at A level which got him to those unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red1470
U missed the A level bit, clearly he did better at A level which got him to those unis

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's because GCSEs don't really matter as long as you meet the minimum entry requirements, but A levels do. Hence it really makes no difference as to whether you take double or triple at GCSE. If you can find me a source from a university that states they have a preference for students who took triple science, I will happily admit I was wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
At no point did I say it matters for uni, we r talking about getting into the best sixth form for A level science not university, which as I said is fine coz u can just do better at A level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Changing Skies
That's because GCSEs don't really matter as long as you meet the minimum entry requirements, but A levels do. Hence it really makes no difference as to whether you take double or triple at GCSE. If you can find me a source from a university that states they have a preference for students who took triple science, I will happily admit I was wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it makes no difference at GCSE, it is only logical, if you want to take a science course later on, to take triple over history just to expand your knowledge of the subject.
Reply 36
The hint is the fact this is on a GCSE forum not university so if ur gonna go on about uni post on an a level or uni forum where it actually matters

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red1470
At no point did I say it matters for uni, we r talking about getting into the best sixth form for A level science not university, which as I said is fine coz u can just do better at A level

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, I'm pretty sure sixth forms don't care in the slightest. So unless they explicitly state they prefer students who have taken triple, they won't care either way.
Original post by Ford1337
Because it makes no difference at GCSE, it is only logical, if you want to take a science course later on, to take triple over history just to expand your knowledge of the subject.

Not necessarily. You cover enough in double, so maybe taking history would be good to broaden your subjects. I hated history before my GCSEs and I'm so glad I took it in the end because it ended up being one of my favourite subjects.

At the end of the day, OP would clearly rather take double. It's a personal preference and it won't hinder them in any way should they want to pursue science further. I've not once regretted taking double despite pursuing science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
On a one to one applicant scenario they would still prefer the triple applicant it's just a fact there's no arguing with that if there's 2 applicants but one has double instead of triple then y would they pick a less qualified applicant?

Yes I take history geography business and French and I get straight A* in history but I guess it's just the dumb Irish system which is stopping u at the end of the day unlike what we have here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had the choice between triple science or computer science, and I chose triple. I would recommend taking it, especially if you're good at it. It isn't that hard once you understand if, and B3 is a lot shorter than B1 and 2.

Quick Reply

Latest