The Student Room Group

University of Edinburgh LLB - converting to English law

Hi,
I would love to hear from anyone who has perhaps studied law at Edinburgh and then converted to English law, or who could help answer my questions about the course. Thanks!

- How many of the GDL modules does the Edinburgh course specifically exempt you from; how many are accepted? *
* I'm interested in the joint honours LLB, with language study, so I believe this course contains potentially fewer law modules. I've tried to list the ones from the website that appear similar to the 7 required subjects for English law.
Edinburgh subjects -> English Law required subjects
Property / Property & Property Honours -> Land Law
Public Law, Constitutional, Administrative -> Constitutional
EU Law / EU Honours -> EU Law
Contract -> Contract Law
Criminal (Ordinary) / Criminal & Criminal Honours -> Criminal Law
Trusts seemed solely Scottish, as did any civil law which may relate to Tort, however please correct me if I'm wrong and I could potentially transfer these. I realise that criminal and probably property too, are long shots, but I'm still hoping :wink:

Finally, as an alternative, is it worth doing the extra Scottish modules which qualify for the Scots qualification, and then trying for the Qualified Lawyer Transfer Scheme? I say extra, because 1/3 language study reduces the number of law modules you can take.

Any advice, or personal experiences are welcome. I understand that this is a confusing and complicated route to qualifying in England. Whilst I could do a dual degree at a uni such as Dundee, I would prefer to study at Edinburgh due to its high language component with law, its outstanding reputation, and the city itself.
Thanks all!
I know someone that did the accelerated LLB at Edinburgh whom did the following and had exemptions from all but one module:

1st yr: Civil Law (40); Contract and Unjustified Enrichment (10); Critical Legal Thinking (10); Family Law (10); EU Law (10); Public Law of the UK and Scotland (20); Scottish Legal System (20)
2nd yr: Business Entities (10); Commercial Law (20); Criminal Law (10); Delict (10); Evidence (10); International Private Law (10); Jurisprudence (10); Property Law (20); Public Law and Individual Rights (10); Succession and Trusts Law (10)

Those courses will allow you to apply to the Diploma in Professional Legal Practice and the two in bold, whilst not required for the LLB or the Diploma, are required by the Faculty of Advocates. They also show you how many optional credits you have in the first two years (40 credits in 1st year and 10 in 2nd). However, if you want to do an LLB(Hons) Law w/Language then your degree will not allow you to enter into the Diploma and as such, I doubt it will get you that many exemptions for the GDL. In regard to taking extra courses, I seriously doubt anyone could do 240 credits of pre-honours law courses and intensive language without already being semi-fluent in that language.

My advice: If you want to qualify in England then take an LLB in English Law w/Language that will allow you to do whatever the hell it is the English regulator is going to want you to do in 3-4 years time. Just a side note, but civil law is essentially Roman history and law. Our equivalent of Tort is called Delict.
Reply 2
Thanks for that, the detail was really useful.

I've looked into the module combinations, and I'd be 20 credits short for the qualifying LLB is Scotland, which would need to be caught up on, before I even looked at Civil Law or IPL.

It's not as bad as I'd thought, and 6/7 is great, although I appreciate that they're changing a lot of the requirements at the moment, so it is unreliable for the future. Out of interest, which subject was your friend not exempt from?

You've helped make things much clearer, thank you!
I think they had to take a course in land law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending