Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a medicine applicant. I have received 3 rejections so far and have my last interview so far. I was wondering if anyone knows whether medicine comes up through ucas extra and any information about it?
    Also, are there any options other than to take a gap year or chose a different course?
    Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the giggle

ReputationRep:
    no sorry, no extra for medicine EVER. Options are to obtain the grades and reapply next year, or study in europe

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately Medicine courses do not enter Clearing or UCAS Extra due to the course being oversubscribed anyway. I was in your position last year (but ended up receiving 4 rejections) and decided to take a year out. It's probably the best option if you look at the pros and cons and it's only one year in the grand scheme of things.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry there is no UCAS extra for medicine - most medical school's recieve faaar more applications than places so usually never have any places left.
    Your only option (if you get all rejections) is to either go for your backup course or reapply next year.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty unusual for clearing, although I do actually know someone who got into medicine through clearing after results day so it's rare but not impossible!

As people have already said, I imagine your best bet would be to reapply next year and do something useful in your gap year. It may open up a whole other world to you! I wouldn't take your back-up choice unless you really, really like it. You could potentially be studying your back up choice for three years before going into postgraduate medicine which would be very expensive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    Thanks for the giggle
    Dude, that's so harsh
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Technically I got in through clearing

ReputationRep:
    A friend got into Peninsula through clearing a couple of years ago, but generally, it doesn't happen
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Technically I got in through clearing
    Was it after a rejection post-interview or actually proper de novo clearing?

The last I heard of proper clearing was like 2010 odd...!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Was it after a rejection post-interview or actually proper de novo clearing?

The last I heard of proper clearing was like 2010 odd...!
    Yeah it was through an internal waiting list, hence the technically lol

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 407
Size:  40.3 KB
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Yeah it was through an internal waiting list, hence the technically lol

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 407
Size:  40.3 KB
    The amount you could wind people up with that screenshot though...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.