Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of Coldplay's new song? Is it "misusing" indian culture? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ....Some people just want to watch the world burn. Like Alfred said they don't logic.

ReputationRep:
    The real question is......Why do people still listen to Coldplay!

They make pretentious, overrated crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn!)
    The real question is......Why do people still listen to Coldplay!

They make pretentious, overrated crap.
    Coldplay is pretentious? Lolwut

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baleh)
    i genuinely think hardly any indians actually care lol
    In a country of 1.2 billion, not even 0.001% are complaining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    But black people can't be racist, and therefore, culturally appropriate :cookie:
    Never knew the R in your name stands for racist. It's even affacting my grammar :unimpressed:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Kidding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ginger Fox)
    Where is the lie...

Culture should be spread and enjoyed by as many people who want it. Just bc its part of Indian culture doesn't mean they have the right to decide what everybody else does with it, especially as its not in a negative light.
    India dominates IT/ software eng. Urban Indians live better than most in NE England.

ReputationRep:
    It could just be my ignorance of Hindu beliefs and culture, but it doesn't offend me as an Indian. If anything, it's showcasing the vibrancy and culture (to a watered down level, though - I must admit).

Although the one thing that recently can be classified as "misused", is the recent Dolce and Gabbana abaya collection. That really pissed me off. I don't understand why when a model is wearing it - who has absolutely no association with the religion - she should get praise and applauded when plenty of others who wear the same thing get islamophobic slurs thrown at them.

But then again, I suppose you can apply this to the music video scenario.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeyNegro91)
    India dominates IT/ software eng. Urban Indians live better than most in NE England.
    Bangalore is known as the second 'Silicon Valley'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Bangalore is known as the second 'Silicon Valley'
    A lotta them ***** actually work in Silicon Valley itself. Many Dravidic names at the upper end of apple/microsoft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeyNegro91)
    A lotta them ***** actually work in Silicon Valley itself. Many Dravidic names at the upper end of apple/microsoft.
    Google's CEO is Indian, from Chennai, so yeah.

I hate the people who just blindly believe that India is a **** hole. It is a much better country (in terms of living) than most people think. People think that everyone there just lives in huts. So ignorant

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.