Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people call ISIS, ISIL and Daesh? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Warsmith)
    Isis is actually the Egyptian goddess of magic, mother of Horus and wife to Osiris, I'll have you know.
    Isis is actually Catwoman's favourite cat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **** Diamonds)
    I don't know why White people think they're being clever when they refer to ISIS/ISIL as Daesh, as if that somehow annoys Islamic State.

They're both acronyms of the same thing you wet flannel.
    People of all colours have referred to them as Daesh.
    It is simply an attempt by ostriches to remove any obvious reference to Islam from their name, because Islam is the Religion Of Peace™. Therefore, anyone doing anything unpeaceful cannot have anything to do with Islam.

And anyone who cites the many passages from the Quran and sunnah that are being used to justify what ISIS are doing is just an Ignorant Islamophobe Hater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baleh)
    People don't like calling them The Islamic State because it implies they are actually muslims which upsets a lot of people.
    Nooooooo, people don't like calling them that because it implies that we are admitting that they ARE a state.

It's like we are acknowledging them...

Daesh is a cruder word, much more suitable imo....

ReputationRep:
    I just call them the Islamic State.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Actually as an English speaker it will sound more like da-ish
    they can't pronounce ح
    and they can't pronounce ع
    so daesh will be taken to mean داعش in these instances because why would an English speaker be like "oh another attack by cruel" and use daesh instead of the word 'cruel' in English?
    they clearly mean داعش
    and the majority don't know what داحش means so they wouldn't use it
    so that point seems a bit pointless to me :/

You can call them
    ISIS as in to acknowledge there is an Islamic state in Iraq or Syria, or
    ISIL as in to acknowledge there is an Islamic state in the levant, or
    Daesh which can either mean Isis or, you know, a felon-ish caliphate.

Simply saying majority don't know what xyz means so they wouldn't use it anyway is what I call arrogance

I was playing Pintu-whatever btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiceTheSlice)

You can call them
    ISIS as in to acknowledge there is an Islamic state in Iraq or Syria, or
    ISIL as in to acknowledge there is an Islamic state in the levant, or
    Daesh which can either mean Isis or, you know, a felon-ish caliphate.

Simply saying majority don't know what xyz means so they wouldn't use it anyway is what I call arrogance

I was playing Pintu-whatever btw
    most likely probably 99% of the time ISIS

no but does that not make sense, why would I suddenly use a word in French that I don't know the meaning of when I can just use the English version which I do know the meaning of?

but alright lets stop there x'D

coolcool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    most likely probably 99% of the time ISIS

no but does that not make sense, why would I suddenly use a word in French that I don't know the meaning of when I can just use the English version which I do know the meaning of?

but alright lets stop there x'D

coolcool
    Alright then, lets play

See what i did there? It could either mean let play Pintu-whatever or continue this conversation. And probably 99% of the time you will assume it's any one of them :P

If we don't know the meaning we learn the meaning!

...if you say so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiceTheSlice)
    Alright then, lets play

See what i did there? It could either mean let play Pintu-whatever or continue this conversation. And probably 99% of the time you will assume it's any one of them :P

If we don't know the meaning we learn the meaning!

...if you say so
    But that's different because it's used equally as often in those circumstances
    when I say Bonjour you usually think of the French for hello or good day, not the Apple software or the cello... right?
    because people rarely use it to refer to those things
    when people say daesh in the media they are 99% of the time referring to ISIS, and it's not even the same spelling for goodness sake! if it was داحش the English equivalent would be Dahesh and not Daesh because there is a 'h' in English, but there's no 3ain in English

but alright :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    But that's different because it's used equally as often in those circumstances
    when I say Bonjour you usually think of the French for hello or good day, not the Apple software or the cello... right?
    because people rarely use it to refer to those things
    when people say daesh in the media they are 99% of the time referring to ISIS, and it's not even the same spelling for goodness sake! if it was داحش the English equivalent would be Dahesh and not Daesh because there is a 'h' in English, but there's no 3ain in English

but alright :3
    Well I see a cyclic discussion taking place :yum:

Anyways, your point is based on what people's arbitrary preferences are. To go further, I'm assumed not to be a cello wiz, so I would interpret the bon jour as hello and get on with life. Sound point considering the assumption.

For many others, including me, Daesh is like a homophone. When Hollande or the BBC says (literally says) Daesh it could either be داحش or داعش. And assuming they know the meanings of each I can safely claim they interpret Daesh as the one that translates to a felon or a bigot. Since I know the meaning too, I obviously interpret it as a felon. But for that guy who doesn't know داحش, I attempt to raise awareness.

To the داحش - Dahesh point... Tbh I don't have much to make a case here. I'd say it's gone to the point where we can't change it.

Something like the word homophobia. Phobia is supposed to be an irrational fear where your heart races and you muscles clenches and the breath is heavy. But no one is gonna go like that if there was a gay guy in front of them. It's gone to a point where we can't really change it to something more semantically appropriate.

z33

Feels like an okay m8 i agree shut up ....

ReputationRep:
    Apparently they get pissed off if you call them Daesh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.