The Student Room Group

Is IB Maths really that difficult?

I'm currently doing my GCSEs and I'm planning to do the IB in sixth form. One of the teachers at my current school told me that HL Maths is a really big step up from GCSE and that it's really difficult. Another teacher (he teaches Chemistry, which is why I'm in doubts about his opinion) told me on the open evening at another school that does the IB that Maths is really hard and a 7 is virtually impossible. The actual Maths teacher said it's do-able. I just did my December mocks at school and got a very high B, would've got an A if I didn't lose two marks by not concentrating and leaving a whole question out (I wrote that 1-0.8=2, which was worth 2 marks, and I was EXACTLY 2 marks off an A). It was like this on the last 4 tests and I spoke to my teacher about helping me get up to an A as the exams are close. Would HL Maths really be that hard also taking into account that due to my language inability (I'm not English) I did foundation for a year and a half and I'm far behind in terms of work?
Original post by tim_72
I'm currently doing my GCSEs and I'm planning to do the IB in sixth form. One of the teachers at my current school told me that HL Maths is a really big step up from GCSE and that it's really difficult. Another teacher (he teaches Chemistry, which is why I'm in doubts about his opinion) told me on the open evening at another school that does the IB that Maths is really hard and a 7 is virtually impossible. The actual Maths teacher said it's do-able. I just did my December mocks at school and got a very high B, would've got an A if I didn't lose two marks by not concentrating and leaving a whole question out (I wrote that 1-0.8=2, which was worth 2 marks, and I was EXACTLY 2 marks off an A). It was like this on the last 4 tests and I spoke to my teacher about helping me get up to an A as the exams are close. Would HL Maths really be that hard also taking into account that due to my language inability (I'm not English) I did foundation for a year and a half and I'm far behind in terms of work?

Heya :h:

It may be worth posting this in the IB section of the forum - I've asked for this thread to be moved there. :borat:
Reply 3
Moved to IB.

To answer OP's question: I was told continuously by my teachers and school that IB Maths HL was one of the hardest subjects offered in the world and that nearly nobody gives a 7. I very much looked forward to it, only to find, after a year of studying it with declining hopes that it wasn't what it's cracked up to be.

It's surprisingly easy, the content is very very manageable and the questions don't require much thought. The content is less than a quarter of A-Level M+FM, although the questions are admittedly tougher. The exams are a test for time instead of thought with the policy of "1 mark per minute". If you can read and write fast, you're guaranteed a 7.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Heya :h:

It may be worth posting this in the IB section of the forum - I've asked for this thread to be moved there. :borat:

thanks, I didn't know there was one.
Reply 5
Hi, I'm currently a 2nd year IB-er and I take maths at SL. I came out with 2A's in maths at GCSE but I'd say maths is definitely the subject I struggle with most. Your teacher is right to say it is a big step up - I found it was! There are some topics that are significantly easier than others however, it just depends on how your brain works. For me, I'm much more humanities and arts inclined so the STEM aspect of IB is the hardest but it really depends. All the exam questions on the topics are pretty much in the same style so if you get use to the style of question, you should find it a hell of a lot easier :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending