The Student Room Group

Huge rise in refugee arrivals in Europe in January

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by EtherealNymph22
Which 'safe' country are you talking about. What determines safety? Like Turkey is safe in the sense that they aren't getting bombed every day and killed or tortured by either Assad's regime or ISIS but they are persecuted there.

Plenty of local refugee camps.

The problem is Germany said they would welcome them and there would be refuge and safety there, so why wouldn't the majority of them go there?

Irrelevant. Doesn't make them any less economic migrants by following the cries of Germany.

The issue is not the intentions of the majority of refugees- the issue is working out a process to ensure the genuine an innocent refugees are rehoused and given safety.

It doesnt help when a minority of them are ignoring the local camps and instead risking their lives to get to Europe

The fact that most of the refugees are men is obvious. Because there is no safe process in place for them to make the difficult crossing- so they do it on their own and then hope to bring their wives and children over legally ASAP. If Europe committed to processing this all properly, including making the trip to Europe 'safer' and not so expensive and susceptible to people ripping the refugees off, then we would see a lot more women and children.

Great :rolleyes:

I just think the fact that some of the bad sh*t going down is making us all so het up about all refugees and all muslims is a shame and I wish that Germany would have handled it better so that everyone wasn't jumping on this anti-refugee bandwagon because it plays into the hands of ISIS.

I wish Germany hadn't invited them all over. I wish the minority attempting to come to Europe instead followed the majority into the actual local refugee camps. I wish those young fighting aged males/females capable of fighting actually picked a side in the civil war and fought for their own country.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
The ones who have integrated and respected European laws aren't seen as terrorists and rapists. It's the ones who have assaulted and raped women in Europe after claiming to be refugees.

If there really wasn't a significant number of migrants then it wouldn't be called a "migrant" crisis. Look up the stats yourself.

I've looked and can't find any which is why I'm not making sweeping statements like 'they're all economic migrants not refugees'. The fact you said that led me to ask you for something to back it up and you have nothing. That's not really my problem.

Refugees are technically migrants. So are people that leave England and move to Australia. But they are not economic migrants. Just because something is called 'the migrant crisis' does not mean they're all economic migrants.

I don't think the assault of women and being refugees is mutually exclusive as you suggest. I think there are a lot of reasons why genuine refugees might end up raping women and it's not because they aren't refugees. Some white British men rape women. Women get raped by men a lot. I think the majority of them who are doing these types of things aren't genuine refugees though, but it doesn't mean that none of them are or that raping means you can't be a genuine refugee.
Reply 22
I'm not sure what a sustainable solution is

Only admit women and children. Men can stay in refugee camps around Syria.
Statistics should not be taken literally, they should be taken with a sceptical mindset.
Original post by Reue
Plenty of local refugee camps.

Irrelevant. Doesn't make them any less economic migrants by following the cries of Germany.

It doesnt help when a minority of them are ignoring the local camps and instead risking their lives to get to Europe

Great :rolleyes:

I wish Germany hadn't invited them all over. I wish the minority attempting to come to Europe instead followed the majority into the actual local refugee camps. I wish those young fighting aged males/females capable of fighting actually picked a side in the civil war and fought for their own country.

Yes there are local refugee camps but if a European country is promising you safety and a new life wtf would you do?!! Just because some refugees have been attracted by that promise it doesn't make them economic migrants. It just means they want the life they used to have back. Syria was a wonderful place before all this sh*t went down. If you were a doctor and had a family and lived in a new house would you want to stay in a camp or potentially go to Europe, set up a new life, put your children back to school and go back to working as a doctor?

Just saying great and rolling your eyes is not a response to what I said.

I wish Germany had handled it better and yes I wish they hadn't invited them over without a strategy as it has created the problems. But that doesn't mean that a lot of people need our humanity and it would be a shame if this crisis in Germany affects our perception of just how many people need our support.
Original post by Josb
Only admit women and children. Men can stay in refugee camps around Syria.

Definitely for this. But there needs to be a strategy for getting women and children safely from A>B i.e. Syria to Germany. At the moment it's walking or getting on boats in the med and smugglers exploiting them. A lot of young children have been trafficked in Italy as well.

So the journey needs to be made safer for the Women and children for this to be sustainable.

I'd also argue that having a lot of young men who are in refugee camps in Syria might not be a great idea. They've been broken up with their family, don't have a chance to get to Europe and will be experiencing a huge feeling of loss and disillusionment. I think this could easily make them radicalisation targets for ISIS who will promise them money, honour and purpose, and will be able to exploit the situation with their narrative that it's us vs them.
I've looked and can't find any which is why I'm not making sweeping statements like 'they're all economic migrants not refugees'. The fact you said that led me to ask you for something to back it up and you have nothing. That's not really my problem.

Refugees are technically migrants. So are people that leave England and move to Australia. But they are not economic migrants. Just because something is called 'the migrant crisis' does not mean they're all economic migrants.

I don't think the assault of women and being refugees is mutually exclusive as you suggest. I think there are a lot of reasons why genuine refugees might end up raping women and it's not because they aren't refugees. Some white British men rape women. Women get raped by men a lot. I think the majority of them who are doing these types of things aren't genuine refugees though, but it doesn't mean that none of them are or that raping means you can't be a genuine refugee.

I'm not saying all are migrants. I'm saying most are. Yes but those who leave England for Australia don't assault and rape women as soon as they get there do they? There's been assaults and rapes reported by migrants throughout Europe. You've had Sweden,Finland,Denmark,Switzerland and above all Germany who have had the negative effects of these migrants, mainly because they have politicians who don't listen.

What on earth makes you think these "refugees" have a justifiable reason to rape someone? Is that what you're saying?

Had the majority of these migrants/refugees been women and young children, I would've been fine with Germany letting only those two groups in. But the fact that most of the migrants have gone into Germany unchecked and most of them are fit young men who can fight against IS but have been cowardly enough to leave their families in Syria is frankly disgusting as hell and a recipe for disaster. There was no limit of migrants being allowed in.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Yes there are local refugee camps but if a European country is promising you safety and a new life wtf would you do?!! Just because some refugees have been attracted by that promise it doesn't make them economic migrants

It absolutely does. How is it any different to wanting to go to a specific country because you heard the jobs/benefits/houses were great?

It just means they want the life they used to have back. Syria was a wonderful place before all this sh*t went down. If you were a doctor and had a family and lived in a new house would you want to stay in a camp or potentially go to Europe, set up a new life, put your children back to school and go back to working as a doctor?

Again; irrelevant. What they want does not change their status.
I'm not saying all are migrants. I'm saying most are. Yes but those who leave England for Australia don't assault and rape women as soon as they get there do they? There's been assaults and rapes reported by migrants throughout Europe. You've had Sweden,Finland,Denmark,Switzerland and above all Germany who have had the negative effects of these migrants, mainly because they have politicians who don't listen.

What on earth makes you think these "refugees" have a justifiable reason to rape someone? Is that what you're saying?

Had the majority of these migrants/refugees been women and young children, I would've been fine with Germany letting only those two groups in. But the fact that most of the migrants have gone into Germany unchecked and most of them are fit young men who can fight against IS but have been cowardly enough to leave their families in Syria is frankly disgusting as hell and a recipe for disaster.

I'm not saying they have JUSTIFIABLE reasons to rape. There is no justification for rape in any circumstances Im just saying that because they rape it doesn't make them NOT refugees. And I'm saying there are reasons why some previously normal people might end up committing these types of crimes when they are in Europe. I believe that is because of a lack of integration and education strategy by the European countries right now. They should be educated on women's rights and alcoholism for one.

The reason they are not women and children is because Europe isn't strategising to put in a safe method for them to travel here. they have to traverse land and sea in treacherous conditions. I think the mentality of a lot of men who come first is that they will make the journey and soon after their wife and children can join them.

I just want to see how high the incidence of rape is from the recent set of refugees or economic migrants and I want to see how many are economic migrants vs. refugees. I can't simply believe something because of biased news article and some examples of things that have happened. These are not valid reasons to form such opinions.
Be prepared for more of this.

[video="youtube;-3MvinY66r0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3MvinY66r0[/video]
Original post by Reue
It absolutely does. How is it any different to wanting to go to a specific country because you heard the jobs/benefits/houses were great?

Again; irrelevant. What they want does not change their status.

It is not irrelevant. If you are a refugee and you want to get out of your home country because there are bombs going off and your way of life has been unimaginably destroyed, why would you opt to go and live in a camp or going to a country that will treat you like subhumans (like they do in 'safe' countries like Turkey) when you have the option of going to a European country which is welcoming you?

I don't think they are traversing Europe to get to Germany for any other reason than germany being the country that has welcomed them in droves.

They would be here if we had done the same. If you are saying that it's irrelevant whether they are welcomed or not why aren't they in France in the same proportion as in Germany?

If some of the European states closer to Syria had welcomed them in the same way that Germany did I imagine they would be there instead.
I'm not saying they have JUSTIFIABLE reasons to rape. There is no justification for rape in any circumstances Im just saying that because they rape it doesn't make them NOT refugees. And I'm saying there are reasons why some previously normal people might end up committing these types of crimes when they are in Europe. I believe that is because of a lack of integration and education strategy by the European countries right now. They should be educated on women's rights and alcoholism for one.

The reason they are not women and children is because Europe isn't strategising to put in a safe method for them to travel here. they have to traverse land and sea in treacherous conditions. I think the mentality of a lot of men who come first is that they will make the journey and soon after their wife and children can join them.

I just want to see how high the incidence of rape is from the recent set of refugees or economic migrants and I want to see how many are economic migrants vs. refugees. I can't simply believe something because of biased news article and some examples of things that have happened. These are not valid reasons to form such opinions.

Lack of integration? That's because of the backward culture they come from. Educated on women's rights? That ain't going to help my darling because their culture of misogyny has been hammered into them. They look at European women as sluts.

For god's sake haven't you heard of the Cologne incident? Mobile phones of the rapists were traced to asylum centres and then police found pieces of paper belonging to migrants with translations from Syrian Arabic to German. Charming phrases on the paper were "I want to have sex with you", "Nice breasts" and "I'll kill you". My sister can confirm that one because she had a Syrian guy who could barely speak English come up to her and say all these things when she was in Germany a couple of months back.

There's been footage of a migrant asking a woman for sex and tries to grope her and then you have that horrible stabbing in Sweden by a migrant.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
It is not irrelevant. If you are a refugee and you want to get out of your home country because there are bombs going off and your way of life has been unimaginably destroyed, why would you opt to go and live in a camp or going to a country that will treat you like subhumans (like they do in 'safe' countries like Turkey) when you have the option of going to a European country which is welcoming you?

Their motive has nothing to do with whether they are refugees.

If you are saying that it's irrelevant whether they are welcomed or not

I didn't say that at all. I said that whether they are welcomed or not makes no difference to their lack of refugee status for leaving a previous safe country.
I don't doubt that there are risks and terrible things are happening to people in Europe as a result of uncontrolled immigration in both the numbers and the process around it when they get to Greece etc.

What I'm saying is this doesn't mean we turn our backs on the genuine refugees who need our help.

Europe needs to:
- have a process in place for vetting them
- fund their journey so they can travel as a family and it is not dangerous
- have a panEuropean effort on the pressure points e.g. Greece (leaving it to the Greeks has been pretty detrimental)
- have a plan for any given families relocation- where they will be relocated
- fund cultural integration, language lessons, education on Western culture

With all of the above some of the refugees could really be saved from such horrific experiences in Syria et al right now. And they could make a positive impact on European life.

The problem is that Europe isn't thinking enough about how to do this strategically and Germany's absolute howler demonstrates that. I don't agree that we should open the borders and let everyone in but nor do I believe the situation in Germany is reason enough to shut the borders and turn our backs on people suffering.
Lack of integration? That's because of the backward culture they come from. Educated on women's rights? That ain't going to help my darling because their culture of misogyny has been hammered into them. They look at European women as sluts.

For god's sake haven't you heard of the Cologne incident? Mobile phones of the rapists were traced to asylum centres and then police found pieces of paper belonging to migrants with translations from Syrian Arabic to German. Charming phrases on the paper were "I want to have sex with you", "Nice breasts" and "I'll kill you". My sister can confirm that one because she had a Syrian guy who could barely speak English come up to her and say all these things when she was in Germany a couple of months back.

There's been footage of a migrant asking a woman for sex and tries to grope her and then you have that horrible stabbing in Sweden by a migrant.

I have heard of it yes- it's f***ing awful and as a woman of course this whole situation is pretty terrifying. I don't want to live my life in daily fear of being raped or sexually assaulted like some people must be in Germany right now.

But it doesn't take away that there are genuine refugees who need our help and as humans we should be figuring out a way to get these people over.

Germany's fault was letting them in and not putting any processes in place for this. And ISIS hated that Germany was willing to accept all the muslims who are fleeing from them. They think the muslims fleeing from them are not muslims because they don't want to join the caliphate and they hate the idea of European tolerance because they think the world is muslims vs non muslims.

So I imagine that ISIS' reaction to Germany's benevolence was to disguise a load of their brainwashed young fit men amongst the genuine refugees to cause havoc in Europe, rape women, and to make everyone scared of any refugees and make their life hell in Europe- a consequence of them not joining the Islamic State. They don't want muslims to live in harmony with the west as it doesn't make sense in their world view or in their objectives.

So Germany's rash stupidity has allowed this situation to happen and much as ISIS wanted it is making Europe as a whole believe that allowing refugees safety from Syria is a threat on our lives and we don't want it. It is a threat to uncontrollably let people in. It is not a threat to re-home genuine innocent families who want safety.
it's not sustainable but I'm not sure what a sustainable solution is

Keeping them out, by any means possible.
Original post by MildredMalone
Keeping them out, by any means possible.

What do you think the long-term consequences of that are?

The short-term consequence is obvious- Immediate retention of safety and way of life in Europe not being threatened.

But what about in the long term?
So I imagine that ISIS' reaction to Germany's benevolence was to disguise a load of their brainwashed young fit men amongst the genuine refugees to cause havoc in Europe, rape women, and to make everyone scared of any refugees and make their life hell in Europe

So you claim that the migrants who commit crimes are all agents of ISIS? That is 1000s in Cologne alone, a rather ridiculous claim
Original post by Ciel.
I've never said all of them. But the majority of them are not genuine refugees! Stop relying on biased media and actually read what the citizens of those invaded countries are saying, and watch videos. And no, I don't mean biased, white power nazis, just ordinary people who have no reason to lie to you.

I'm not relying on biased media, I am relying on evidence. Nobody is giving me evidence that the majority of them are not genuine refugees.

I do know there are are a minority of migrants or whatever doing these things. But if Germany let 1,000,0000 people in and 10% of them are bad eggs this is still 100,000- more than enough to cause the havoc and problems we are seeing there.
What do you think the long-term consequences of that are?

The short-term consequence is obvious- Immediate retention of safety and way of life in Europe not being threatened.

But what about in the long term?

Hopefully, the maintence of the short-term consequence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending