Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which of these two cities is uglier, dirtier, poorer: Sheffield or Bradford? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have to do an investigative piece on the plight of an old industrial city in the North that hasn't shared in the 'economic recovery'..............Just from my travel experiences I narrowed my choices down to either Sheffield or Bradford.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by economic recovery? Since when?

ReputationRep:
    Think of any negative trait or adjective at all, and your answer is Bradford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    What do you mean by economic recovery? Since when?
    Hence, the inverted comas.........Look again at what I wrote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydney_watts)
    Hence, the inverted comas.........Look again at what I wrote.
    Recovery since when, from what? What are the parameters of your investigation. If you don't give details, you don't get answers.

ReputationRep:
    Bradford is just terrible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Recovery since when, from what? What are the parameters of your investigation. If you don't give details, you don't get answers.
    Since the depths of the 2008 Recession/Depression...........Yes, some economists are now labelling the Financial Collapse of 2008 a depression and no longer a recession. That in itself puts a new spin on the supposed 'recovery' Gideon Osborne keeps banging on about.

ReputationRep:
    Bradford.

Have heard some pretty good things about Sheffield. Culture, business, prosperity. A city on an upward trajectory.

Bradford on the other hand is apparently one of the most deprived cities in the country.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydney_watts)
    I have to do an investigative piece on the plight of an old industrial city in the North that hasn't shared in the 'economic recovery'..............Just from my travel experiences I narrowed my choices down to either Sheffield or Bradford.
    As depressing as Sheffield is, it's actually a core 8 economy meaning that it's the 5th-9th largest city in terms of GDP in England.

Bradford is just horrid and is not even British anymore. The only reason you'd live there is for cheap housing while you commute to Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually been to or properly researched Sheffield? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield is quite a neat city. Not a patch on Leeds but with a lot of character and pride all the same.

Bradford is awful, the Mirpuris who have colonised it come from the most backward part of Pakistan.

There was white flight from those who could afford to leave, leaving sink estates of poor whites and the Pakistanis, with both ethnic groups despising each other and failing to connect.

It is beyond saving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    Bradford is just terrible
    http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...rise-1-7553469 So it's not on the rise then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravenous)
    http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...rise-1-7553469 So it's not on the rise then?
    TBf it is getting better up there

ReputationRep:
    You can give a blood transfusion to a corpse, but it doesn't raise it from the dead.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Having been on various forums that discuss developments there have been a few builds muted for Bradford and Broadway seems to have done well so one could try say it turned a corner in 2015 however office development is very minimal and i'm not aware of big companies flocking to it anywhere near the center so right now development is very retail driven.

Contrasting that to Leeds for example we see numerous single office developments, we see Wellington Place where 5-10 large grade A offices are going up and then on top of that it's already built Trinity and Victoria Gate will be complete in September (attracting high end retailers and one of the largest John Lewis stores in the country). On top of that we'll have Victoria Gate phase 2 (plans to be announced and approved this summer), a couple of large office and residential developments have been approved and then we're getting HS3, HS2 and a large extension to the existing train station for it.

Bradford has woken up from it's coma but it's still in the hospital bed struggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Having been on various forums that discuss developments there have been a few builds muted for Bradford and Broadway seems to have done well so one could try say it turned a corner in 2015 however office development is very minimal and i'm not aware of big companies flocking to it anywhere near the center so right now development is very retail driven.

Contrasting that to Leeds for example we see numerous single office developments, we see Wellington Place where 5-10 large grade A offices are going up and then on top of that it's already built Trinity and Victoria Gate will be complete in September (attracting high end retailers and one of the largest John Lewis stores in the country). On top of that we'll have Victoria Gate phase 2 (plans to be announced and approved this summer), a couple of large office and residential developments have been approved and then we're getting HS3, HS2 and a large extension to the existing train station for it.

Bradford has woken up from it's coma but it's still in the hospital bed struggling.
    You talk about the railway station at Leeds. That is a case in point, why does it take nearly an hour longer to get to London from Bradders when the cities are next door??

At least they share an airport although I have noticed the Bradford part gets increasingly left off.

ReputationRep:
    I think Middlesbrough is even worse than Bradford. And I've never found Sheffield as appealing as some people here are trying to portay it. Sheffield is a long ways from say, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle and even Liverpool. These cities are 10 times better than what they were many years ago, whereas Sheffield is only slightly better. Middlesbrough and Bradford are equally horrible, in my opinion. What are your thoughts on that?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what gave you a bad impression of Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    Bradford is an absolute hovel. I'd rather live in a sewer in the Middle East. Oh, wait....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merfie)
    Bradford is an absolute hovel. I'd rather live in a sewer in the Middle East. Oh, wait....

Do you think Bradford is more of a hovel than Middlesbrough?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.