The Student Room Group

Excuse my ignorance

So I am thinking that I might want to be an a and e doctor or paramedic, i work closely with a first aid charity and a nursing hime and i love it and working with people. I really want to know what it is really like to be a doctor though, especially an a ane e doctor.
I also feel like i dont know much about what happens when people pass away in the profession. Excuse my ignorance but how do people deal with it, and what exactly would be your responsibilities. Does it get any easier (within reason of course it is always hard) and i just want some reasurance that i could do it if i put my mind to it.
Thanks
Original post by Cobb.s
So I am thinking that I might want to be an a and e doctor or paramedic, i work closely with a first aid charity and a nursing hime and i love it and working with people. I really want to know what it is really like to be a doctor though, especially an a ane e doctor.
I also feel like i dont know much about what happens when people pass away in the profession. Excuse my ignorance but how do people deal with it, and what exactly would be your responsibilities. Does it get any easier (within reason of course it is always hard) and i just want some reasurance that i could do it if i put my mind to it.
Thanks

Hey!
Regardless of your choice of career... doctor or paramedic, death is something that you will face.
As a doctor you're responsible for declaring the death, declaring if it a suspicious death, forwarding this on to the police and coroner etc.
As a paramedic you'd have to transport the body, it would have to be declared as a death and you'd have to contact the police as well, especially if a murder etc.
Death never becomes easier, but you do get used to it to a certain extent.
Nursing staff along with doctors will prepare the body, which involves last offices.
This will involve preparing the body, repositioning them, cleaning them up, removing anything that needs to be removed, or leaving such things like lines etc in place. Then sitting with relatives and discussing options with them.
This all depends on the wishes and religion of the family and if they would want the body touched / prepared etc.
Doctors have to sign the death certificate, and this needs to be done by 2 for cremations or other circumstances as well.
Local policy etc will be able to tell you more once you're on the job. It's difficult for all involved, but worse for the family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thank you so much that is really helpful :smile: I didnt realise how involved they were. What does preparing the body mean exactly though?
As a nursing student we have training in how to deal with the deceased and how to prepare the body. Doctors will declare the death and can also help with preparing the body, especially if needed in a suspicious case etc.
Preparing the body can involve repositioning them, covering them in the bed or a shroud (depends on religion and relatives wishes etc, dressing them / changing them. Cleaning them up as the body loses control and becomes incontinent. Washing them, placing in dentures, taking out any catheters etc if applicable / allowed. Putting on any clean dressings, a clean pad etc.
You may need to constantly sit with the body (again as per requirement ie religion or due to security etc).
Depending on where the death occurs, and again due to circumstances etc a doctor may need to visit the house to confirm and travel with the body or discuss things with the family.
It will all depend on local policy and circumstances around the death and what staff are around etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've never seen doctors help out with last offices, it's primarily a nursing task. They'll come and certify life extinct, but we're left to sort the patient out.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending