Sanah_fx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi

I've been on a diet for almost 3 months, but my weight from the side (love handles) isn't going away. Any suggestions on what I can do ??
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Eat less, if you're not losing weight it is because you're not eating below your TDEE. Alternatively you can increase your TDEE by exercising.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html

Also you cannot spot reduce fat, it does not work like that. You have to lose it all over. Only way to spot reduce fat is to get liposuction.
ForgottenApple
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sanah_fx)
Hi

I've been on a diet for almost 3 months, but my weight from the side (love handles) isn't going away. Any suggestions on what I can do ??
Input - Output + Generation - Consumption = Accumulation
samina_ay
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
stop eating after 6 o'clock and reduce your calories intake, eat 1500 calories per day and drink 3 liters of water
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samina_ay)
stop eating after 6 o'clock and reduce your calories intake, eat 1500 calories per day and drink 3 liters of water
I agree generally with what you have said. But how many calories OP should eat is completely dependant on her and what her calorific needs are. As your advice wouldn't work for me as a good weight loss plan as 1500 calories is only 100 calories below my maintenance TDEE, therefore you can't blanket state how many calories someone should eat to lose weight.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
Weigh your food and you need to be at a consistent deficit= weight loss over time. You also need to be patient.
Hollyht
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The app my fitness pal is a great help it estimates how many calories you need and let's you log your food by scanning the barcode or typing in the food name. So log as you're honest with it and log consistent it's really easy to use and effective. Food wise I'd recommend choosing foods with low calorie density as this way you get more food for your calories. So rather than eating high fat foods try popcorn , Greek yoghurt , fruits and veg , lentils , beans , chickpeas , low calorie cereals (Cheerios , weetabix ) as all these foods are low in calories so you can eat lots of them. Also try to cook in the oven or boiling without oil as oil adds lots of calories to food. Hope these tips help 😊
HelenGreene
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Eat less calorie food.
username2219677
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
learnt in biology

"A person loses mass when the energy content of the food taken in is less than the amount of energy expended by the body. Exercise increases the amount of energy expended by the body."

so you either are not excercising enough or eating too much
DanielGoddard
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
5 weight loss myths debunked, I hope this information is useful, sorry it's a bit long.

1.Artificialsweeteners help you lose weight.

Wrong!

I'm referring to products such as diet fizzy drinks, sugar-free gum, Splenda,NutraSweet, Sweet-n-Low, and most energy drinks.

Fake sugars are both toxic and addictive, and among the worst things forour health. Your body gets confused and reacts in two detrimental ways:

(1) As your body gets used to them, you crave sweet things, but yoursatiety hormones are suppressed. You don't recognize when you are full orsatisfied so you drink more than you ordinarily would.

(2) Your body experiences insulin spikes due to the sweeteners and that leadsto metabolic disorders, weight gain and long-term dysregulation ofappetite.

Sweeteners ultimately cause toxic build up (they are chemicals!), and hormonalimbalance. Any toxins introduced to the body have to be metabolised by theliver and the liver is an organ we want on our side if our goal is weight losssince it helps us to fat burn and build vital proteins in our body, which iskey to fat loss. Sweeteners also stimulate appetite and enhance mooddisorders.

Instead of using sweeteners, sweeten foods and drinks naturally using naturalsugars if at all, and at the same time, up the bitter foods in your diet (i.e.green leavy vegetables) so that your taste buds adapt and in time, you willpreferentially choose less sweet foods.

2. Exercise is the key to weight loss. Workout for hours andyou'll get the body of your dreams!

False!

I see people who used to exercise twice a day, and I think it made them fatter.I also see clients who have experienced the same situation, more exercisedoesn't mean better results.

Over exercising can make you hungrier! It can also cause adrenal exhaustion,which leads to hormonal imbalance. A tired and exhausted body will encounterall kinds of hormonal havoc, including fat storage and it isn't sustainableeither. Look after your body and don't go crazy as you'll burn out.

The trick is to exercise less often but smarter.

You can change your body's hormones and burn off fat in a short amount of timeby doing high intensity interval training, and deep muscle resistanceexercises.

3. Low fat/ fat-free is the way to go because FAT will makeyou FAT.

False!

Fat free foods are usually loaded with sugar! (They have to replace the goodtasting fat with something don’t they?) Your body isn't great at makinguse of simple sugars, and any extra sugar that the body can't use is stored asfat!

A lot of clients I meet are terrified of fat. They fret overevery almond consumed or every piece of avocado in a salad and Iunderstand why as fat has been so demonised in the past. Panic not!

Don't be afraid of fat. Your body needs the good fats! These are bestfound in avocado, flaxseed, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts and seeds andoily fish such as salmon, mackerel and tuna.

Good fats are essential to give your body energy and to support cell growth.They also help protect your organs (your heart!) and help your body absorbnutrients and produce important hormones.

Good fats also keep you fuller longer and promote blood sugar stabilisation.Without this, we'd miss out on vital nutrients (such as vitamins A, D and E)and what are known as essential fatty acids (Omega 3's), which are needed tocurb all kinds of conditions such as heart disease, cancers, immune systemdeficiencies, arthritis, skin complaints, PMS and menopausal symptoms.

When you start to eat the good fats, your skin will likely increase its glowfactor and any excess weight you are carrying will be easier to burn. Youmight notice your mood lifting, your bowel regulated and your cravingswill subside. So so powerful.

Avoid the ugly trans fats, and remember to eat everythingin moderation.

4. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you'll loseweight.

False!

Just like we cannot control our cardiovascular system, we cannot control ourmetabolism. It's far more complex than calories in, calories out.Life-sustaining functions are automatically regulated by the body.

This works in a simple machine, like a car engine, but does it work in humanbeings?

Probably not. The human body is so complex that if you eat whole foods,you'll get more nutrients and you'll be more likely to feel full forlonger.

Focusing on the quality of foods will enhance the effectiveness of yourmetabolism. When we put the wrong quality of food into our body, it becomeshormonally clogged and the level of fat in our body rises.

5. Eat three meals a day and don't snack.

False!

We must eat every three to four hours to keep our blood sugar levels stable.For a lot of people this seems to work best, rather than going long gapswithout food.

In my opinion, stable blood sugar is the key to good weight. This helps curbcravings, speed up the metabolism, and control your mood, which is key tomaking great food choices!

When we don’t eat for long periods of time, your body thinks it's being starvedand then goes into survival mode. (Your body is so clever!) So what willit do to survive? Hold onto something, anything…. what does it hold onto?Fat!
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cringe at the above. Will discuss in more detail at a later date

Posted from TSR Mobile
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
Cringe at the above. Will discuss in more detail at a later date

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was tempted with the above post, but then I just couldn't be bothered being argued with yet again by ignorant people who read all their knowledge from Fitnezzz magazines and from moronic youtubers claiming to be experts constantly giving false information.
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DanielGoddard)
5 weight loss myths debunked, I hope this information is useful, sorry it's a bit long.

1.Artificialsweeteners help you lose weight.

Wrong!

I'm referring to products such as diet fizzy drinks, sugar-free gum, Splenda,NutraSweet, Sweet-n-Low, and most energy drinks.

Fake sugars are both toxic and addictive, and among the worst things forour health. Your body gets confused and reacts in two detrimental ways:
Whilst I agree, reducing your processed food intake is a good thing. You're not going to be murdered by Aspartamine any time soon. It's also not addictive nor toxic

(1) As your body gets used to them, you crave sweet things, but yoursatiety hormones are suppressed. You don't recognize when you are full orsatisfied so you drink more than you ordinarily would.
The body categorically does not work like that

(2) Your body experiences insulin spikes due to the sweeteners and that leadsto metabolic disorders, weight gain and long-term dysregulation ofappetite.
Metabolic damage is a myth and insulin spikes happen with pretty much any food group. I've not seen any evidence of artificial sugars being insulinogenic either

Sweeteners ultimately cause toxic build up (they are chemicals!), and hormonalimbalance. Any toxins introduced to the body have to be metabolised by theliver and the liver is an organ we want on our side if our goal is weight losssince it helps us to fat burn and build vital proteins in our body, which iskey to fat loss. Sweeteners also stimulate appetite and enhance mooddisorders.
categorically not how the body works. Everything is a chemical. Dihydrogen monoxide causes drowning, you might have also heard of it as water.

Instead of using sweeteners, sweeten foods and drinks naturally using naturalsugars if at all, and at the same time, up the bitter foods in your diet (i.e.green leavy vegetables) so that your taste buds adapt and in time, you willpreferentially choose less sweet foods.
Green foods tend to be high in natural sugars, so your points are redundant on that score. Green vegetables are good in diets as they contain lots of fibre and hence lead to increased satiation.

2. Exercise is the key to weight loss. Workout for hours andyou'll get the body of your dreams!

False!

I see people who used to exercise twice a day, and I think it made them fatter.I also see clients who have experienced the same situation, more exercisedoesn't mean better results.

Over exercising can make you hungrier! It can also cause adrenal exhaustion,which leads to hormonal imbalance. A tired and exhausted body will encounterall kinds of hormonal havoc, including fat storage and it isn't sustainableeither. Look after your body and don't go crazy as you'll burn out.

The trick is to exercise less often but smarter.

You can change your body's hormones and burn off fat in a short amount of timeby doing high intensity interval training, and deep muscle resistanceexercises.
I agree exercise isn't the key, it's all diet, exercise just helps, however it's got pretty much nothing to do with exercises effect on hormones

3. Low fat/ fat-free is the way to go because FAT will makeyou FAT.

False!

Fat free foods are usually loaded with sugar! (They have to replace the goodtasting fat with something don’t they?) Your body isn't great at makinguse of simple sugars, and any extra sugar that the body can't use is stored asfat!

A lot of clients I meet are terrified of fat. They fret overevery almond consumed or every piece of avocado in a salad and Iunderstand why as fat has been so demonised in the past. Panic not!

Don't be afraid of fat. Your body needs the good fats! These are bestfound in avocado, flaxseed, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts and seeds andoily fish such as salmon, mackerel and tuna.
At the same time high fat foods like nuts and olive oil are very calorific so aren't exactly marvellous for dieting.

Good fats are essential to give your body energy and to support cell growth.They also help protect your organs (your heart!) and help your body absorbnutrients and produce important hormones.

Good fats also keep you fuller longer and promote blood sugar stabilisation.Without this, we'd miss out on vital nutrients (such as vitamins A, D and E)and what are known as essential fatty acids (Omega 3's), which are needed tocurb all kinds of conditions such as heart disease, cancers, immune systemdeficiencies, arthritis, skin complaints, PMS and menopausal symptoms.

When you start to eat the good fats, your skin will likely increase its glowfactor and any excess weight you are carrying will be easier to burn. Youmight notice your mood lifting, your bowel regulated and your cravingswill subside. So so powerful.

Avoid the ugly trans fats, and remember to eat everythingin moderation.

4. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you'll loseweight.

False!

Just like we cannot control our cardiovascular system, we cannot control ourmetabolism. It's far more complex than calories in, calories out.Life-sustaining functions are automatically regulated by the body.

This works in a simple machine, like a car engine, but does it work in humanbeings?

Probably not. The human body is so complex that if you eat whole foods,you'll get more nutrients and you'll be more likely to feel full forlonger.

Focusing on the quality of foods will enhance the effectiveness of yourmetabolism. When we put the wrong quality of food into our body, it becomeshormonally clogged and the level of fat in our body rises.
What? Eat less calories than you consumer and you'll lose weight
5. Eat three meals a day and don't snack.

False!

We must eat every three to four hours to keep our blood sugar levels stable.For a lot of people this seems to work best, rather than going long gapswithout food.

In my opinion, stable blood sugar is the key to good weight. This helps curbcravings, speed up the metabolism, and control your mood, which is key tomaking great food choices!

When we don’t eat for long periods of time, your body thinks it's being starvedand then goes into survival mode. (Your body is so clever!) So what willit do to survive? Hold onto something, anything…. what does it hold onto?Fat!
That is utter garbage. Homeostasis determines that your blood glucose level maintains at a constant level. You've contradicted yourself in terms of metabolism. You can't control your metabolism and unless there's a particular illness with you, your metabolism is more than likely not signifcantly different from the next person of the same sex.

Survival mode is only applicable to those who've lost drastic weight and are now very thin - i.e. people who have severe eating disorders
DanielGoddard
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Let me be clear, I didn't get this information from fitness magazines or youtubers. A friend of mine who is a respected nutrition expert wrote it so I thought i'd share it.

I'm not an ignorant person, there is some valid points on the last post which I will look into.
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Let me be clear, I didn't get this information from fitness magazines or youtubers. A friend of mine who is a respected nutrition expert wrote it so I thought i'd share it.

I'm not an ignorant person, there is some valid points on the last post which I will look into.

Some of the things you claimed are beyond factually incorrect.

So yes. You are ignorant.
DanielGoddard
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We'll see
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We'll see
We'll see nothing.

You poseted complete and utter nonsense a long with pseudoscience. which can easily be researched if you actually have read a textbook on the topic past a levels a long with academic research papers.

If your "friend" is respected in his field he certainly shouldn't be. And I highly doubt he is an "expert" as you claimed if HE wrote that.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

His name wasn't GeologyMaths, was it?
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
His name wasn't GeologyMaths, was it?
:rofl:

In stitches.
mellowjoker
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Go take a big **** 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (47)
24.61%
No, but I have thought about it (51)
26.7%
No (93)
48.69%

Watched Threads