Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I tell a friend I don't want to live with her next year? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I live in a lovely flat of 6, and we are in London so are starting to make plans for next year. The composer (we are all musicians) has already decided to move in with the other composers which is understandable, and I would love to live with 2 boys in my flat and a different girl (not in my current flat). However, there is a girl upstairs who wants to live with me and everyone else, and although we all like her she can be so dramatic, moody, self centred, arrogant and her room is so so messy. I don't think I want to live with her next year! We haven't been *****ing about her behind her back or anything but I get the impression people find her very annoying, and it has been mentioned once or twice.

To cut a long story short, how do I approach the subject of telling someone I don't want to live with her when she thinks we all really like her and doesn't have anyone else to go to?

Helpful suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Going to be honest with you, there is no nice or easy way of going about it. If she thinks you guys are going to be looking to live together next year no matter how you word it she is going to be upset.

So I'd just say be honest with her, but don't leave her out of the loop too long or leave it last minute as she will need time to find a place herself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzieviolin123)
    I live in a lovely flat of 6, and we are in London so are starting to make plans for next year. The composer (we are all musicians) has already decided to move in with the other composers which is understandable, and I would love to live with 2 boys in my flat and a different girl (not in my current flat). However, there is a girl upstairs who wants to live with me and everyone else, and although we all like her she can be so dramatic, moody, self centred, arrogant and her room is so so messy. I don't think I want to live with her next year! We haven't been *****ing about her behind her back or anything but I get the impression people find her very annoying, and it has been mentioned once or twice.

To cut a long story short, how do I approach the subject of telling someone I don't want to live with her when she thinks we all really like her and doesn't have anyone else to go to?

Helpful suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks!
    Could you not just apply with the other people you plan to live with and not tell her then when she next brings it up apologise and say that the other girl had asked first or you had forgotten or something along those lines?

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like a pretty good plot for an anime.

ReputationRep:
    be honest with her asap... you're never going to do this nicely but the least you can do is give her the most time possible to find another solution

ReputationRep:
    Damn, thats tragic but understandable. You need to tell her as soon as possible because she needs enough time to find others to live with but I doubt she will remain friends with you.

Possible excuses could be: you5ve found somebody already for the 6th room or you've already signed the contracts and didn't think she still wanted it or along those lines. She'll still probably hate you though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Tell her asap before she gets her hopes up. Rip off the bandaid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.