Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Considering a re-application to apply to Oxford (didn't apply there this year) Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently in my A2 year hoping to study English Literature at University.

I've made a UCAS application this year and I have offers from all my choices, my first choice would probably be York or King's. I was really hoping to apply for English at Oxford, my teacher has a lot a confidence in me and I was eager to apply, but unfortunately my AS grades in my other subjects weren't quite good enough to make an application. My predicted grades were A*AB and I realise that my application would not have been considered without the required AAA prediction.

I was extremely frustrated not to be able to apply this year and I am anxious to apply next year if I achieve the minimum AAA. Is anyone or has anyone been in a similar position? I would appreciate any advice on this, as my parents are understandably reluctant for me to reject all my offers.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benjyjoel77)
    Hi,

I've made a UCAS application this year and I have offers from all my choices, my first choice would probably be York or King's. I was really hoping to apply for English at Oxford, my teacher has a lot a confidence in me and I was eager to apply, but unfortunately my AS grades in my other subjects weren't quite good enough to make an application. My predicted grades were A*AB and I realise that my application would not have been considered without the required AAA prediction.

I was extremely frustrated not to be able to apply this year and I am anxious to apply next year if I achieve the minimum AAA. Is anyone or has anyone been in a similar position? I would appreciate any advice on this, as my parents are understandably reluctant for me to reject all my offers.
    If you wouldn't have taken a gap year anyway then my gut instinct would be to go with York or King's. Statistically, the most likely outcome of an application is rejection which means if you reapply, you need to reapply with the assumption that you're not going to get in. If you feel like your year would be a waste if you reapply only to get rejected, then I honestly think you're better off going to York or King's - they're both great places (I've heard very good things about York!).

Of course, if you're desperate to reapply then there's nothing stopping you, but please make sure you think it through very carefully. Of course you've got a chance of getting in but do you really think that Oxford is good enough to delay university by a year just for that chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benjyjoel77)
    Hi,

I reapplied and got an offer from my uni of choice. So my advice would be whether u reapply or not. Dont think abt it now and focus on acing ur a levels and depending on the result u can decide whether to reapply or not. Goodl Luck !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.