Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does the friendzone exist? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Does the friendzone exist?
    Yes
    62.50%
    Not sure
    0%
    Nope
    37.50%

ReputationRep:
    A topic of much controversy. Discuss...

ReputationRep:
    No it doesn't, it's a word made up by those who are desperate for affection and wonder why they can't get any

ReputationRep:
    Yep

From, my one of my mates experience then yeah. I wasn't too sure on it at first.

How does it not exist? I like someone, they do not like me, ergo I am a friend... ???

ReputationRep:
    No, it's just people being entitled little *****es cause they can't handle rejection.

ReputationRep:
    I voted no. If it does exist, it's not a permanent state. I have female friends I wouldn't date because of their personalities or..lack of. These are things that could be changed, such as having more hobbies and interests, being more independent, growing up a bit etc. I've 'escaped' the 'friendzone' many times. Not always intentionally.

ReputationRep:
    The friendzone is bunch of baloney.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How does it not exist? I like someone, they do not like me, ergo I am a friend... ???
    That's not the definition of friendship, did this really require anon tbh?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's funny because you're only in the friendzone when the girl you like doesn't like you back. It's not an issue with other girls who clearly just like them as a friend but if a crush does it then it's friendzone.

Bit of double standards but it is a real concept and it's a painful place to be in.

ReputationRep:
    Technically yes. If she/he doesnt like you then you're seen as a friend. Then you become a best friend. Once you're at that stage most people dont want to endanger a really good friendship on a feeling, thus that person is stuck in the friendzone.

Those dicks that try and get into a girls pants and a knocked back arent in the friendzone theyre in the
    "Im-a-whiny-*****-who-failed-to-get-into-a-girls-pants zone"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGiantPunkGooner)
    A topic of much controversy. Discuss...
    Mario seems to think so:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Mar...a0_1240350.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe it does. You're either attracted to someone or you're not. If you are they're a romantic interest and if you aren't, they're a friend. It's just a way for men to excuse being rejected.

ReputationRep:
    It's magical place with unicorns

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you have to ask, you're in it.

ReputationRep:
    True

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katarvi)
    I don't believe it does. You're either attracted to someone or you're not. If you are they're a romantic interest and if you aren't, they're a friend. It's just a way for men to excuse being rejected.
    It's not always a simple case of being attracted to them or not immediately. Attraction can grow/change. And why is it reserved only for men?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    It's not always a simple case of being attracted to them or not immediately. Attraction can grow/change. And why is it reserved only for men?
    Then you'd go from being a friend to a romantic interest, and vice versa if the attraction went away. It's not reserved only for men, but from what I've seen it's mostly men that complain/joke about it. I rarely see women complain of being "friend zoned".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donte)
    Technically yes. If she/he doesnt like you then you're seen as a friend. Then you become a best friend. Once you're at that stage most people dont want to endanger a really good friendship on a feeling, thus that person is stuck in the friendzone.

Those dicks that try and get into a girls pants and a knocked back arent in the friendzone theyre in the
    "Im-a-whiny-*****-who-failed-to-get-into-a-girls-pants zone"
    this, I dont understand how its a word made up by people that cant handle rejection when it simply describes situations likke the above pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    I think so, basically a situation when one party wants something more (i.e. a relationship) while the other party would rather just stay friends, & there's nothing wrong with them thinking that. I believe it's more a place of hurt rather than bitterness.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.