The Student Room Group

Arranged marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Just marry me, you're rich and you're a Dr, I don't even care what you look like. :u:

LOL "I'm going in business class" XD XD XD XD XD

Spoiler

So you wouldn't mind if he looked like this?

Spoiler

You should get your mataji involved though, of course :wink:
Original post by nucdev
So you wouldn't mind if he looked like this?

Spoiler

You should get your mataji involved though, of course :wink:

Well if he is rich, and is a Dr...then idc...

But after we're married he may disappear somewhere far...far...away...:wink:

Actually, idc about the Dr part, like that even matters when he disappears XD XD
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Awesome Genius
It is hardly arranged marriage in the conventional sense.

Basically, its... "we know a few girls who are from respectable families and are about your age and they're smart and single"...then you meet them and YOU find one YOU like and then you take things further.

Its only arranged in the sense that the pool of potential partners is filtered.

Meh...it kills the fun. :colone:
It is hardly arranged marriage in the conventional sense.

Basically, its... "we know a few girls who are from respectable families and are about your age and they're smart and single"...then you meet them and YOU find one YOU like and then you take things further.

Its only arranged in the sense that the pool of potential partners is filtered.

Sounds good to me.

If that's what you prefer, I wouldn't take too much heed of people banging on about true love etc. etc.

Just do what you think is right.

Meh...it kills the fun. :colone:

It's not much different to searching a dating website and putting filters on your search or something.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 64
I'm lonely enough so yeah, if she was willing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dairychocolate

It's not much different to searching a dating website and putting filters on your search or something.

I'm only joking, does it look like I have made even one serious post on this thread yet?

Arranged marriage is a choice, if that is what you want to do then go ahead. It's your life. Your choices.
Irony in this is that every arranged marriage couple i know is going strong, have kids and are in really stable relationships. On the other hand the 'find your own partner' marriages have all gone down the drain within 5 years lol.
I'm only joking, does it look like I have made even one serious post on this thread yet?

The bits about arranged marriage seemed serious. The bits about marrying OP because he's a doctor, not so much.

Arranged marriage is a choice, if that is what you want to do then go ahead. It's your life. Your choices.

Yeah, no ****.

I was just comparing OP's situation to online dating filters.
(edited 8 years ago)
I get what youre saying guys but the thing is, im too cynical to ever marry someone i get infatuated with or someone who "falls in love with me". For me, the person I marry has to be from a certain cultural background, one I know and one I am comfortable with.

You say that now at twenty five(?). I'm not quite sure on the 'norm' age for arranged marriages, but surely, you should give yourself more time to think about this and experience life before you decide 'you're too cynical' to do otherwise?

Do you want to get a couple of years down the line, your views having changed - as they are want to do - and you've already made this decision?

I am aware, however, I can't fully understand your situation, arranged marriages having always been nothing more than vague concept to me, but personally, I think marriage (or relationships period) should be about love and it saddens me to think of it otherwise. You did ask for our opinions, after all.

I wish you luck and happiness in whatever you do choose to do, though. :redface:
The bits about arranged marriage seemed serious. The bits about him being a doctor, not so much.

Yeah, no ****.

I was just comparing OP's situation to online dating filters.

Well yeah, I repeat it's a choice, personally I'm against it and wouldn't want it for myself.
Original post by acupofgreentea
You say that now at twenty five(?). I'm not quite sure on the 'norm' age for arranged marriages, but surely, you should give yourself more time to think about this and experience life before you decide 'you're too cynical' to do otherwise?

Do you want to get a couple of years down the line, your views having changed - as they are want to do - and you've already made this decision?

I am aware, however, I can't fully understand your situation, arranged marriages having always been nothing more than vague concept to me, but personally, I think marriage (or relationships period) should be about love and it saddens me to think of it otherwise. You did ask for our opinions, after all.

I wish you luck and happiness in whatever you do choose to do, though. :redface:

Yeh. It wouldn't hurt to leave it for another 1-2 years. I agree. However, it won't change my belief system - its too late now lol

Thanks for your kind sentiments :smile:
Well yeah, I repeat it's a choice, personally I'm against it and wouldn't want it for myself.

Okay?

Never disputed that.
Okay?

Never disputed that.

Honestly, talking to you sometimes makes me want to pull my hair out one by one. :colonhash:
LOL at how OP squeezed in flying business class in his opening thread post.

haha
Nope, never
Reply 75

Not always.
Honestly, talking to you sometimes makes me want to pull my hair out one by one. :colonhash:

You know there's an ignore option on this forum?
Original post by Josb
Not always.

Well yes I agree, in a way. But there is a difference between a forced arranged marriage, and an arranged marriage by choice. :-)
Original post by Josb
Not always.

You're thinking about forced marriage

There's a clear difference between allowing your parents to pick out a partner for you and being forced by your parents to marry a particular person
If my parents recommended someone to me, I would certainly take that into consideration, but I'd want to get to know them better before coming to any decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending