Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I live in university accommodation doesn't that mean that I have an income of 0 and a household income of whatever my parents make? When does the household income become whatever I make and not my parents?

What happens if I get a part time job and earn say 5-10k a year... Will that add to my parents income and the household income, meaning I could potentially exclude myself from getting the right amount of maintenance loan and grants?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    If I live in university accommodation doesn't that mean that I have an income of 0 and a household income of whatever my parents make? When does the household income become whatever I make and not my parents?

What happens if I get a part time job and earn say 5-10k a year... Will that add to my parents income and the household income, meaning I could potentially exclude myself from getting the right amount of maintenance loan and grants?
    It's based on your parents income unless you meet the criteria to be an independent student such as being over 25 or supporting yourself financially for 3 years before starting so getting a job in uni won't have an effect on your entitlement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    It's based on your parents income unless you meet the criteria to be an independent student such as being over 25 or supporting yourself financially for 3 years before starting so getting a job in uni won't have an effect on your entitlement.
    Ah OK, so it doesn't matter what I earn. In that case, are there any pitfalls for making over a certain amount - tax wise. I believe that my student support package won't affect my taxed income so I just assume students still get the full 10.6k tax-free?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    Ah OK, so it doesn't matter what I earn. In that case, are there any pitfalls for making over a certain amount - tax wise. I believe that my student support package won't affect my taxed income so I just assume students still get the full 10.6k tax-free?
    Yes they do

ReputationRep:
    I have a question about this.
    Do savings count towards your household income?
    I have some savings that I managed to save up from my current job and also got a part of it as a compensation and a bursary. I am scared that I will get less student finance because of it. I will be classed as an independent student as I will be 25 when I start the course.
    Will they take my savings into the account or just the income?
    Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wciselko)
    Do savings count towards your household income?
    No. Your savings are capital. The only related thing which would be counted as income, is the interest on your savings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    No. Your savings are capital. The only related thing which would be counted as income, is the interest on your savings.
    Thank you for your response!
    So would I have to declare my savings or just the income I get from these savings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wciselko)
    Thank you for your response!
    So would I have to declare my savings or just the income I get from these savings?
    Just the interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Yes they do
    Hey there,

Could you tell me what tax year the household income would be based on, for students entering Uni this September (2016)?
    Code:
    This is your parents’ or partner’s gross (pre-tax) income plus your own. It affects how much help you'll get with living costs
    I'm worried that part time work I do now will affect my household income (as I live in my house lol) and so by working now I miss out on my full entitlements.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-c...outside-london

Says on the gov.uk website that my own income is also assessed. So if I work part time, I guess it adds up to my parents income and then I receive less of a loan because I work?

ReputationRep:
    I would be interested to know this as well, I will be 28 when applying for university and have been supporting myself for more than 3 years. I am currently working and so does my partner. When I start university I will not be working so would I put my income down as 0 as that is what I will be earning, or do I put what I earnt in the previous year of working?

Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flamingcopper)
    I would be interested to know this as well, I will be 28 when applying for university and have been supporting myself for more than 3 years. I am currently working and so does my partner. When I start university I will not be working so would I put my income down as 0 as that is what I will be earning, or do I put what I earnt in the previous year of working?

Thank you x
    It is what you earn in two years previous (14-15). Next 2 years you can work without affecting your loans.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

Thank you x
    It would go on your partners income if you live together.

ReputationRep:

Thank you x
    If you're over 25 and giving up work to become a full-time student, then your income will automatically be assessed as zero. You should enter zero on that section of the form. You just need to declare your partner's income to SF, as this does count as "household income". This is the advice I was given when I queried it with SF. Worth double-checking direct with them, but I'm not aware that this situation has changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    If you're over 25 and giving up work to become a full-time student, then your income will automatically be assessed as zero. You should enter zero on that section of the form. You just need to declare your partner's income to SF, as this does count as "household income". This is the advice I was given when I queried it with SF. Worth double-checking direct with them, but I'm not aware that this situation has changed.
    Brilliant thank you x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.