The Student Room Group

Goals for 2016

Hi ! I'm 16 years old and I'm sitting my GCSEs in June. I'm going to make a list here, first my mock result then my personal target :smile:
Additional Science- B = A
History- A = A*
Maths - C= C
English Lang - B= A
English Lit (didn't do a mock) aiming for an A
RS= A= A*
Business= C= B
Mostly I've put everything up by one grade- don't want to be too ambitious
thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kn6440
Hi ! I'm 16 years old and I'm sitting my GCSEs in June. I'm going to make a list here, first my mock result then my personal target :smile:
Additional Science- B = A
History- A = A*
Maths - C= C
English Lang - B= A
English Lit (didn't do a mock) aiming for an A
RS= A= A*
Business= C= B
ICT= A= A*
German= B= A
Mostly I've put everything up by one grade- don't want to be too ambitious
thanks

Hi, good luck with everything. There's nothing wrong with being very ambitious :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
thank you!
You're welcome :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Update- currently doubting myself quite a bit but remembering mistakes aren't the worst thing and a bad coursework grade doesn't necessarily equal a bad grade overall :smile:
I got fairly similar mock results, and I have fairly similar improvement targets! Here are mine:

Physics - A* - A*
Chemistry - A* - A*
Biology - A* - A*
Maths - B - A*
English Language - B - A
English Literature - (No mock) - A
RE - (No mock) - A/B
Music - C - A/B
Computing - B - A
Spanish - C - B
Graphics - D - B
Reply 6
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
I got fairly similar mock results, and I have fairly similar improvement targets! Here are mine:

Physics - A* - A*
Chemistry - A* - A*
Biology - A* - A*
Maths - B - A*
English Language - B - A
English Literature - (No mock) - A
RE - (No mock) - A/B
Music - C - A/B
Computing - B - A
Spanish - C - B
Graphics - D - B

Nice one! Yeah our targets are pretty similar, how are you getting on with your work and everything?
Original post by kn6440
Nice one! Yeah our targets are pretty similar, how are you getting on with your work and everything?

I'm procrastinating a lot, ha. I unfortunately have an absolutely shite teacher for English, my whole class thinks he's useless. I asked him what I could do to improve my English grade (as at the moment I would need to do very well in the exam to get an A).

He responds with "Well, a B is a very respectable grade". I'm like "Sure, but I think I should push myself to get an A because I'd like to do as well as I can". "Well, you see a B is a very good grade". "You've told me that sir, but I'd like to improve, not just plateau at my current level." It basically carried on like that until it became obvious that he didn't actually have any idea what to say, so I just left and went to talk to the head of English, who gave me very helpful advice and stuff.

In maths I'm gonna start going to the maths after school sessions that my school runs, and look through my maths mock paper to see what I need to improve.

Spanish I'm just gonna generally try and learn more vocab and phrases, and work on time management in the writing exam.

Music I'm gonna just revise a lot. The exam is all memory, it's just memorizing **** facts about **** songs. It's as boring as it sounds. The compositions and performances we have to do are okay, but my teacher still hasn't marked our first composition after like 2 months, so I've yet to even get feedback on any of my music coursework.

Graphics I just have a lot of work to finish off, which I'm doing so.

Sciences I'm just continuing to make revision cards from the CGP revision guides.

PRE I'm not doing anything for, I'll probably revise a bit for it at some point.

In the second computing controlled assessment I'm only 40% of the way through the content, and 55% of the way through the time, so I need to speed up. Other than that I just need to look over the revision guide and learn the areas that I did badly at in the mock
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
I'm procrastinating a lot, ha. I unfortunately have an absolutely shite teacher for English, my whole class thinks he's useless. I asked him what I could do to improve my English grade (as at the moment I would need to do very well in the exam to get an A).

He responds with "Well, a B is a very respectable grade". I'm like "Sure, but I think I should push myself to get an A because I'd like to do as well as I can". "Well, you see a B is a very good grade". "You've told me that sir, but I'd like to improve, not just plateau at my current level." It basically carried on like that until it became obvious that he didn't actually have any idea what to say, so I just left and went to talk to the head of English, who gave me very helpful advice and stuff.

In maths I'm gonna start going to the maths after school sessions that my school runs, and look through my maths mock paper to see what I need to improve.

Spanish I'm just gonna generally try and learn more vocab and phrases, and work on time management in the writing exam.

Music I'm gonna just revise a lot. The exam is all memory, it's just memorizing **** facts about **** songs. It's as boring as it sounds. The compositions and performances we have to do are okay, but my teacher still hasn't marked our first composition after like 2 months, so I've yet to even get feedback on any of my music coursework.

Graphics I just have a lot of work to finish off, which I'm doing so.

Sciences I'm just continuing to make revision cards from the CGP revision guides.

PRE I'm not doing anything for, I'll probably revise a bit for it at some point.

In the second computing controlled assessment I'm only 40% of the way through the content, and 55% of the way through the time, so I need to speed up. Other than that I just need to look over the revision guide and learn the areas that I did badly at in the mock

Yeah definitely know the feeling with that. What texts are you doing in English? (I'm doing OMAM and LOTF). I love English Lit but I hate Lang. For languages the best advice really is just to learn vocab little and often, as I've had drilled into my head, I do 15 minutes a day. God yeah I hated music in year 9, plus the music teacher at my school is awful.
All I'm doing for RE is learning quotes and focusing on my timings because that is basically how I messed up in my mock.
What do you want to do for A level?
Original post by kn6440
Yeah definitely know the feeling with that. What texts are you doing in English? (I'm doing OMAM and LOTF). I love English Lit but I hate Lang. For languages the best advice really is just to learn vocab little and often, as I've had drilled into my head, I do 15 minutes a day. God yeah I hated music in year 9, plus the music teacher at my school is awful.
All I'm doing for RE is learning quotes and focusing on my timings because that is basically how I messed up in my mock.
What do you want to do for A level?

I'm doing OMAM and DNA. It's a play that's got a similar idea to LOTF (teenagers are left to the own devices, end up killing each other and going mental and stuff.)

How helpful is it to just learn random vocab for lang? It seems like most of the marks in controlled assessments come from using techniques, not just having good language, so wouldn't it be more helpful to practice using those techniques?idk

For A level I want to do maths, physics, chemistry, and biology. What about you?
Reply 10
Wow I would hate studying a play tbh. I'm bad enough at Shakespeare. haha LOTF is great I love it.
Oh no no I meant languages as in foreign languages eek sorry I'm tired not very clear I've been making a revision timetable for all the way up to May, been working on it for ages and I'm still not done.
Nice choices. I think I might do chemistry or something idk
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending