Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best way to keep a check on kids text messages? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Good Morning

I have 2 teenagers, who constantly use their mobile phones to send/receive text messages.

Is there any way I can check what messages they are sending/receiving?

They are good kids generally, and I do trust them, but because of their age, I don't want them to fall into bad company.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Accept your children have a right to privacy like you do and don't check their text messages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geek84)
    Good Morning

I have 2 teenagers, who constantly use their mobile phones to send/receive text messages.

Is there any way I can check what messages they are sending/receiving?

They are good kids generally, and I do trust them, but because of their age, I don't want them to fall into bad company.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    SmallTownGirl is right, they have an equal right to privacy. If you do trust them, then you won't need to look at their phones. They will mostly be just chatting to friends, nothing strange. I'm sure they have been told 1000000 times what not to do online by school events and adverts.

Just respect their privacy. If you do have reason to suspect something is going on, then you should of course check. But only when you can say you had a reason to. Not 'Just because'.

Don't. That's the best way to check on your children's text messages.

Just as you are entitled to your privacy, they are entitled to theirs. And trust me, as someone who had something similar done to them, if your children ever found out, that trust is very hard to rebuild.

If you trusted them, you wouldn't want to do this, would you? You need to trust that they'll be sensible. You can't know for sure, but that's the thing about trust.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from looking on their phones? None.

ReputationRep:
    Like the above posters said respect their privacy but keep an open channel of communication between you and your children so they know that if something is wrong or upsetting them, they can talk to you about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.