Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS/A LEVEL CHOICES! Please help! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    If people are taking the time to read this then thank you very much - I really need some advice!

I'm currently in Year 11, studying my GCSE's (grades I'm currently achieving are next to them):
    -Maths: C
    -English Language: A
    -English Literature: C
    -Chemistry: C
    -Biology: B
    -Physics: B
    -Religious Studies: A*
    -History: A*
    -French: A
    -ICT: A*

^ I really struggle at reaching these grades, so I'm not incredibly academic.

Anyway, I'm really stuck with choosing my AS/A-Levels... I have to choose real soon, and I am interested in these:

Biology (OCR)
    Psychology (AQA)
    Geology (OCR)
    History (Edexcel)
    Economics (AQA)

I know certain ones of these link together well - like the first three, and the last two - but I just don't know what to choose. I'm not really intelligent so I really wouldn't like to hear "OHH you should pick Chemistry + Maths + Further Maths + Physics!111!1 because universities love them!11!!" because I wouldn't be able to handle it - I'm not very academic. I'm even contemplating only taking 3 AS/A-Levels, because I don't want to become really stressed or not be able to achieve satisfactory grades.

So please, people, help me! I just don't know what to do - I want to take topics that link, but also topics which aren't so hard that I'll hate my time at Sixth Form. Any advice or opinions about topics is very much appreciated, thank you for reading! (Even if there are topics that I haven't listed here, I would love to hear about them. Who knows? Maybe I'll discover something else I'm interested in.)

Edit: I forgot to mention - I'm not too sure what I'd like to do in the future, but I've always had an interest in animals/wildlife, etc. so possibly something like that, but I'm not sure. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grovyshi)
    Hello!
    If people are taking the time to read this then thank you very much - I really need some advice!

I'm currently in Year 11, studying my GCSE's (grades I'm currently achieving are next to them):

Anyway, I'm really stuck with choosing my AS/A-Levels... I have to choose real soon, and I am interested in these:

Biology (OCR)
    Psychology (AQA)
    Geology (OCR)
    History (Edexcel)
    Economics (AQA)

I know certain ones of these link together well - like the first three, and the last two - but I just don't know what to choose. I'm not really intelligent so I really wouldn't like to hear "OHH you should pick Chemistry + Maths + Further Maths + Physics!111!1 because universities love them!11!!" because I wouldn't be able to handle it - I'm not very academic. I'm even contemplating only taking 3 AS/A-Levels, because I don't want to become really stressed or not be able to achieve satisfactory grades.

So please, people, help me! I just don't know what to do - I want to take topics that link, but also topics which aren't so hard that I'll hate my time at Sixth Form. Any advice or opinions about topics is very much appreciated, thank you for reading! (Even if there are topics that I haven't listed here, I would love to hear about them. Who knows? Maybe I'll discover something else I'm interested in.)
    Pick the subjects you like rather than those that are linked - you seem to be good at history so go for that and how about philosophy and ethics (RS). Psychology is a LOT of work, so try biology as the science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Pick the subjects you like rather than those that are linked - you seem to be good at history so go for that and how about philosophy and ethics (RS). Psychology is a LOT of work, so try biology as the science.
    Thanks for the advice! I was looking at Philosophy and Ethics, but I wasn't sure if it'd really get me very far outside of Sixth Form. Which subjects are you taking/did take, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice! I was looking at Philosophy and Ethics, but I wasn't sure if it'd really get me very far outside of Sixth Form. Which subjects are you taking/did take, if you don't mind me asking?
    Ha - I am a long way out of school, but I have had three kids - last one doing a masters at the moment.

Like I said - do subjects you enjoy - psychology is a LOT of work.

I think it really depends what you want to do for a job or whether you want to go to uni. One science will take you a long way - unless you want to do medicine!

Pick 1 Arts subject, 1 science and something else and you will get into most degree courses. It is really important to not ask too much of yourself and I am glad that you realise you have limitations. The step up to A level is a HUGE one so pace yourself. I did geology GCSE and it was quite hard - but that may have been me - I am not very bright ( well I am actually quite lazy) Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Ha - I am a long way out of school, but I have had three kids - last one doing a masters at the moment.

Like I said - do subjects you enjoy - psychology is a LOT of work.

I think it really depends what you want to do for a job or whether you want to go to uni. One science will take you a long way - unless you want to do medicine!

Pick 1 Arts subject, 1 science and something else and you will get into most degree courses. It is really important to not ask too much of yourself and I am glad that you realise you have limitations. The step up to A level is a HUGE one so pace yourself. I did geology GCSE and it was quite hard - but that may have been me - I am not very bright ( well I am actually quite lazy) Good luck.
    Aaah, okay! Thank you for all of the advice - it has cleared up some of my thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    Well from your grades you seem to be stronger at humanities then sciences, so I think going for economics and history is a good idea (esp. as they complement each other) I study economics right now and i love it! it's cool to be studying something not so boringly traditional (e.g. pure sciences) but it still looked favourably upon by universities. it's exciting and modern. I think having one science is a nice idea (though it's not absolutely necessary) so biology is a good idea and it's supposed to be less challenging and technical than chemistry and physics. I see you are also interested in Philosophy and Ethics? That also seems to complement history and economics well (though make sure you like writing essays; the phil/ethics students at my college always have an essay due in!)

ReputationRep:
    What are your future ambitions? Career wise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    Well from your grades you seem to be stronger at humanities then sciences, so I think going for economics and history is a good idea (esp. as they complement each other) I study economics right now and i love it! it's cool to be studying something not so boringly traditional (e.g. pure sciences) but it still looked favourably upon by universities. it's exciting and modern. I think having one science is a nice idea (though it's not absolutely necessary) so biology is a good idea and it's supposed to be less challenging and technical than chemistry and physics. I see you are also interested in Philosophy and Ethics? That also seems to complement history and economics well (though make sure you like writing essays; the phil/ethics students at my college always have an essay due in!)
    So Economics is a good subject? You enjoy it? I know nobody who has ever taken it, so I don't have much information on it. Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribenas)
    What are your future ambitions? Career wise
    I'm not 100% sure - I've always been interested in wildlife/animals and stuff related to that, but I'm just not sure. I think my future may be biology/psychology related, but it's a bit of a blur.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% sure - I've always been interested in wildlife/animals and stuff related to that, but I'm just not sure. I think my future may be biology/psychology related, but it's a bit of a blur.
    Yay another psychologist!

In that case you may want to take facilitating subjects such as the sciences, english and psychology.

I took biology (science), psychology(I want a PhD in it) and sociology (essay). Shows I am a well rounded!

ReputationRep:
    Yay another psychologist!

In that case you may want to take facilitating subjects such as the sciences, english and psychology.

I took biology (science), psychology(I want a PhD in it) and sociology (essay). Shows I am a well rounded!
    Awesome! I'm thinking Biology, Psychology and History/Geology.

I'm a bit worried about Biology and Psychology though - people are telling me that there's so much revision/work you have to do for them, and that there's ridiculous amounts to remember. Since you took them both, would you recommend me to do the same? Is it as hard as people say?

Out of all my options, they're the two I want to do the most, but I'm panicked that I wouldn't be able to handle it... if I only took 3 subjects, it'd make it much easier for me, right?

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! I'm thinking Biology, Psychology and History/Geology.

I'm a bit worried about Biology and Psychology though - people are telling me that there's so much revision/work you have to do for them, and that there's ridiculous amounts to remember. Since you took them both, would you recommend me to do the same? Is it as hard as people say?

Out of all my options, they're the two I want to do the most, but I'm panicked that I wouldn't be able to handle it... if I only took 3 subjects, it'd make it much easier for me, right?
    You put the working in then yes you can handle it! I am doing Psychology + Biology whilst doing elite basketball (which takes up more time than an A-Level so it is like I am taking 4). I am getting A's in psychology so I am putting more effort into biology to bring those grades up.

ReputationRep:
    You put the working in then yes you can handle it! I am doing Psychology + Biology whilst doing elite basketball (which takes up more time than an A-Level so it is like I am taking 4). I am getting A's in psychology so I am putting more effort into biology to bring those grades up.
    Great! That gives me so much more confidence good luck with all you're doing!

ReputationRep:
    econ needs maths

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Biology (OCR)
    Psychology (AQA)
    Geology (OCR)
    History (Edexcel)
    Economics (AQA)

Edit: I forgot to mention - I'm not too sure what I'd like to do in the future, but I've always had an interest in animals/wildlife, etc. so possibly something like that, but I'm not sure. Thanks!
    Both Biology and Psychology will require B grades in Biology and Maths.

Economics would also require a B grade in Maths.

If you don't get a B in Maths, you can still go to sixth form however you would have to be happy doing a mixture of subjects like History, French and RE? Maybe take a look at politics as well if you want to do 4 subjects. Politics is a well respected and interesting A-level!

Politics, History, French and RE/Philosophy are a very good mix of A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Both Biology and Psychology will require B grades in Biology and Maths.

Economics would also require a B grade in Maths.

If you don't get a B in Maths, you can still go to sixth form however you would have to be happy doing a mixture of subjects like History, French and RE? Maybe take a look at politics as well if you want to do 4 subjects. Politics is a well respected and interesting A-level!

Politics, History, French and RE/Philosophy are a very good mix of A-levels.

I really need to get a B in maths!

Thank you for the feedback - I'm taking it all on-board.

ReputationRep:
    So Economics is a good subject? You enjoy it? I know nobody who has ever taken it, so I don't have much information on it. Thanks for the advice!
    Yes! Of all my subjects I feel it is the most fun. And it has the lightest workload after maths. My economics folder is the lightest of all my subjects (my chemistry folder is like 3 times as thick 😩). The first unit of micro can be a bit dire but that's just so that you can get acquainted with the technical part of economics but luckily it's very easy. macro is very interesting though some concepts are hard to get your head around but once you get used to it it's okay. Despite being an essay-based subject so far i've only written 3 essays (though my teacher says that was to ease us in and that we are going to start writing more essays). also be prepared to draw A LOT of graphs! - the bane of my life lol

I don't regret taking economics at all I'm so happy that i chose it even though my parents wanted me to take physics or biology instead.

ReputationRep:
    My grades are very similar to yours and as a bit of guidance I'm going to do : history philosophy and politics I feel they go well together and I only chose 3 because I felt i could do better in 3 than I would in 4

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.