Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone used a fountain pen in an exam before? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I used a fountain pen for all my exams in GCSE and had no problem. I found that it is easier to write quicker with one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDaniel)
    Hey guys. Over the summer I found myself getting into the fountain pen hobby. Sounds sad, I'm sure, but I was just wondering what people did when it came to exams, when using fountain pens?

I have a pen that I want to use for exams: it's from my father. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any issue with bleedthrough on exam papers, as I wouldn't expect the paper quality to be amazing as a LOT of these papers are going to be printed, and obviously exam boards want to save on printing costs and would go for the cheaper (ergo not as fountain pen friendly) paper.

Does anyone have any experience with this at all?
    It's not sad! I too have a love for fountain pens- the writing experience they provide is far superior to most modern writing impliments.

I was going to use one of my FPs for this past A-Level exam season, however when I got into my exams I found myself suddenly switching to Bic byros. The reason for this is because I did maths and science exams which require fairly fast writing and lengthy working out. FPs require you to slow down and the ink can get smudgy if the pen writes very wet, and in an A-Level exam you don't wanna be smudging your working when every mark counts!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad for every person that understands the love for fountain pens, but I still believe that if they write wet or not smoothly enough then it's a fault of the pen, whether it needs adjustment or just isn't top quality, rather than the intrinsic nature of a fountain over ballpoint!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    I'm glad for every person that understands the love for fountain pens, but I still believe that if they write wet or not smoothly enough then it's a fault of the pen, whether it needs adjustment or just isn't top quality, rather than the intrinsic nature of a fountain over ballpoint!
    Different brands and calibres of pen tend to have varying wetness anyway, it's inevitable, you can't manufacture each pen nib the same especially between brands. Unless it's gushing piles of ink onto the page and has an unreasonable drying time it's perfectly acceptable i'd say.

Some of the more highly priced pens on the modern market are fairly "wet" but i'd say you're mostly right. I just meant some brands lay a minuscule amount more ink on the page which is what most people mean when they say a nib is "wet" I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I used to use fountain pens lower down the school until I got sick of replacing the ink cartridges when they ran out at the worst possible moments, ie, in the middle of EVERY exam I took.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by typicalvirgo)
    I used to use fountain pens lower down the school until I got sick of replacing the ink cartridges when they ran out at the worst possible moments, ie, in the middle of EVERY exam I took.
    A bottle of ink and a converter may have gone a long long way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L33t)
    Different brands and calibres of pen tend to have varying wetness anyway, it's inevitable, you can't manufacture each pen nib the same especially between brands. Unless it's gushing piles of ink onto the page and has an unreasonable drying time it's perfectly acceptable i'd say.

Some of the more highly priced pens on the modern market are fairly "wet" but i'd say you're mostly right. I just meant some brands lay a minuscule amount more ink on the page which is what most people mean when they say a nib is "wet" I guess.
    That's true, but you can set the nib and feed how you like. The cheapie Parker Jotters are the worst for writing drily I find, christ they're bad. Anything like that though, I have some extremely fine grade sandpaper to scribble them on, after which they write more smoothly and wetter. I get what ya saying, yeah (Y)

On that note, I have a Sheaffer Targa on which the nib is completely dead. It was warped when I got it, and too damaged for me to fix. :/ It seems impossible to find replacements. ;-;

ReputationRep:
    That's true, but you can set the nib and feed how you like. The cheapie Parker Jotters are the worst for writing drily I find, christ they're bad. Anything like that though, I have some extremely fine grade sandpaper to scribble them on, after which they write more smoothly and wetter. I get what ya saying, yeah (Y)

On that note, I have a Sheaffer Targa on which the nib is completely dead. It was warped when I got it, and too damaged for me to fix. :/ It seems impossible to find replacements. ;-;
    Had a vector that wrote okay in school,never had a jotter, but the frontier was a fairly decent low end model of Parker. They discontinued it in 2012 though :L

I'd guess you'd have to source an old Targa from somewhere to replace the nib- not impossible but difficult and maybe costly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L33t)
    Had a vector that wrote okay in school,never had a jotter, but the frontier was a fairly decent low end model of Parker. They discontinued it in 2012 though :L

I'd guess you'd have to source an old Targa from somewhere to replace the nib- not impossible but difficult and maybe costly
    I've had three vectors from when I first got into fountains at school. Still have one in brushed steel that I haven't inked yet, and apparently just half of a plastic one. Someone in school snapped a third, deserves death! They're not terribly bad for the price, but I also hear Jinhao are also good for dirt cheap, and my friends like the WHSmith pens. (They have some dislike of branded pens, except for the adulated Lamy!)

I had two frontier leaderships pens, love them for the price and you can still get them cheap on ebay, but I don't use them much anymore because the ink comes out of the nib, coats the lid, which then gets on the barrel and onto my hand. A friend of mine has my black one, I think. He either broke it or just ran out of ink, I'll ask about it and try and have it back either way, lol.

Yeah, unfortunately NOS nibs are more expensive than the actual pens! To be honest I bought the Targa because I really wanted an Imperial, so it's no real tragedy. After Christmas I might treat myself to the full monty, what I really wanted: (Hear these write really wet)
    What a beauty! :lovedup:

What are your favorite pens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDaniel)
    Hey guys. Over the summer I found myself getting into the fountain pen hobby. Sounds sad, I'm sure, but I was just wondering what people did when it came to exams, when using fountain pens?

I have a pen that I want to use for exams: it's from my father. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any issue with bleedthrough on exam papers, as I wouldn't expect the paper quality to be amazing as a LOT of these papers are going to be printed, and obviously exam boards want to save on printing costs and would go for the cheaper (ergo not as fountain pen friendly) paper.

Does anyone have any experience with this at all?
    Ye one time I had to sign off on a contract while having a prostate exam.

ReputationRep:
    I've had three vectors from when I first got into fountains at school. Still have one in brushed steel that I haven't inked yet, and apparently just half of a plastic one. Someone in school snapped a third, deserves death! They're not terribly bad for... What are your favorite pens?
    Wow that is a stunning pen!

I don't have loads of pens, but my favourite pen that I own at the moment is a gold plated Sheaffer prelude which writes fantastically for a pen with a SS 2 tone nib. It's the first Sheaffer I have owned and it's what got me into Sheaffers; I only write with it occasionally though in fear of it being nicked or damaged. I usually reach for my Parker frontier for everyday stuff like college/ uni mainly because i'm not too bothered about it getting damaged or broken. I have a gunmetal grey Parker IM but the nib is awfully scratchy and it struggles to start in terms of ink flow sometimes so I avoid it like the plague. I very rarely use a pilot metropolitan if the pen I have on me runs out of ink, but I'm not really a fan of it- it just gets the job done cheaply in an emergency.

In terms of favourites I don't own (yet!) I'm a fan of Parker's sonnet range, but they do tend to be overpriced. I quite like the Parker Sonnet Ciselé both for design and superb nib. I also quite like the Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron.

On a cheaper note for favourites I quite like the Monteverde impressa in gunmetal with red clip and trims mainly because it looks awesome. Not a colour combination i've seen in a pen before but it somehow works! I've been told the finish flakes off these though so I'm not sure i'd buy it.

Never really dabbled with Jinhao and I'm not really a fan of Lamys (I own a few and they're okay but not great), but I do like some of the Kaweco pen models.

On a different subject what about inks? I recently bought a bottle of Akkerman ink mainly for the bottle design because it's so functional. Other than that I stick to diamine or quink.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.