Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pet Insurance Excess Clarification! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I've recently become the owner of a rabbit, and am considering getting pet insurance to cover any vet fees which it might incur. The rabbit is a netherland dwarf, no large ears, and it will be kept indoors in a safe area, so I don't imagine it'll get hurt or sick.

My question is about the excess - most of the cover I can see have a £50 excess per claim.

Now, vet fee consultations are usually only around £20 - £30 a time. How would the excess work with this in mind? Would I just be reimbursed the consultation fee which I paid, and pay excess only if it's a long-standing/expensive treatment?

This is my first pet, please guide me well!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    Hi.

I've recently become the owner of a rabbit, and am considering getting pet insurance to cover any vet fees which it might incur. The rabbit is a netherland dwarf, no large ears, and it will be kept indoors in a safe area, so I don't imagine it'll get hurt or sick.

My question is about the excess - most of the cover I can see have a £50 excess per claim.

Now, vet fee consultations are usually only around £20 - £30 a time. How would the excess work with this in mind? Would I just be reimbursed the consultation fee which I paid, and pay excess only if it's a long-standing/expensive treatment?

This is my first pet, please guide me well!

An example: When your bun gets poorly, you'll see the vet (£30), get some medicine (£25), see the vet for a follow up (£30). This is then £85 of which you're expected to pay the first £50 (the excess).

You can only claim when your bill is greater than the excess as you're expected to pay that first part yourself. I personally don't bother with smaller claims like that as it pushes the price of your insurance up every time you claim for the sake of £35 in the example. When this pushes your insurance up by £5 a month, it only takes less than a year for you to be worse off.

My cat tore a ligament in his knee (once, and then again in the other leg >.> ). His total bill was £6000 (each time!!!), and we paid the first £25 which was our excess and they paid the rest.

Some insurers have a maximum amount per claim, so they'll only pay out £5000 a year or per injury/illness for example. The amount varies a lot. If your bill is more than what they'll pay, you have to pay the rest. If you bun gets sick and needs medicine for the rest of their life, unless you have "lifetime" insurance (usually slightly more expensive), they will pay for the medicine with a specified pot of money until that pot runs out. How big this pot is will vary with your insurance company. Then it is your responsibility again.

Lifetime insurance means as long as you keep paying your insurance they'll pay for your buns treatment.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    An example: When your bun gets poorly, you'll see the vet (£30), get some medicine (£25), see the vet for a follow up (£30). This is then £85 of which you're expected to pay the first £50 (the excess).

You can only claim when your bill is greater than the excess as you're expected to pay that first part yourself. I personally don't bother with smaller claims like that as it pushes the price of your insurance up every time you claim for the sake of £35 in the example. When this pushes your insurance up by £5 a month, it only takes less than a year for you to be worse off.

My cat tore a ligament in his knee (once, and then again in the other leg >.> ). His total bill was £6000 (each time!!!), and we paid the first £25 which was our excess and they paid the rest.

Some insurers have a maximum amount per claim, so they'll only pay out £5000 a year or per injury/illness for example. The amount varies a lot. If your bill is more than what they'll pay, you have to pay the rest. If you bun gets sick and needs medicine for the rest of their life, unless you have "lifetime" insurance (usually slightly more expensive), they will pay for the medicine with a specified pot of money until that pot runs out. How big this pot is will vary with your insurance company. Then it is your responsibility again.

Lifetime insurance means as long as you keep paying your insurance they'll pay for your buns treatment.
    Unlucky with your cats cruciate, its very common in dogs but uncommon in cats!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Unlucky with your cats cruciate, its very common in dogs but uncommon in cats!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats what the vet said. So uncommon, they gave him a repair that they use in dogs all the way up to great danes because they didnt have a smaller one.

And the 2nd time he managed to escape his cage and jump just after surgery ripping it out and requiring them to do it again -_-

Mogs. Gotta love em though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.