Where do you fall on the political compass? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Economic Left/Right: -6.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
    Name:  chart.png
Views: 50
Size:  10.3 KB

Every time I take this test I find I've drifted further towards the bottom left

I would describe my politics as any of Progressive, Utilitarian, Left-Libertarian and Egalitarian. So this is pretty accurate.

ReputationRep:

Surprisingly I'm more left...

ReputationRep:

I seem to have moved slightly closer to libertarianism since I last did this test over two years ago, but I'm pretty much exactly where I was on the left-right scale.

I did find that some of the questions are almost impossible to answer without further clarification, while others cried out for a 'neither agree nor disagree' option that wasn't available; that might be responsible for some discrepancy.
    Name:  Untitled6.png
Views: 54
Size:  10.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    As usual:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I seem to have moved slightly closer to libertarianism since I last did this test over two years ago, but I'm pretty much exactly where I was on the left-right scale.

I did find that some of the questions are almost impossible to answer without further clarification, while others cried out for a 'neither agree nor disagree' option that wasn't available; that might be responsible for some discrepancy.
    Name:  Untitled6.png
    How do you find this one: http://www.celebritytypes.com/politi...nates/test.php

I get extremely similar results:

Name:  Untitled.png
Size:  16.2 KB

It seems somewhat accurate because I am in almost every area very libertarian; i.e. I think individual freedom is everything
    however I think by and large, big government, in the economic sense, can be very effective; historically high government spending to create jobs/fuel the economy has seemed to have more positive effects than laissez fare policies (compare 1920s Republican government "leave well alone!" fiasco with Bill Clinton's high government spending and corresponding high economic growth for instance), I support high taxes on the wealthy, I support state institutions, provided they are not a pile of **** (the NHS for instance..), I support certain regulations on big businesses, particularly trying to alleviate the strangleholds of monopolies, protecting workers rights, and environmental regulations.

Yet it would seem that the lower left quadrant is also home to the "progressive" sphere which I am always criticising...I think these tests might have a libertarian bias as those folks are quite authoritarian in many ways. In particular the original one spends a lot of time asking about crap like religious morals, presumably lumping religiosity with authoritarianism (and little time on anything like affirmative action, freedom of speech, notions of equality)

ReputationRep:
    I have the best view

Name:  chart (3).png
Views: 47
Size:  10.3 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Did 2 of them.

Name:  pc.png
Views: 53
Size:  35.9 KB
    Attachment 565760565762
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    In particular the original one spends a lot of time asking about crap like religious morals, presumably lumping religiosity with authoritarianism (and little time on anything like affirmative action, freedom of speech, notions of equality)
    Yes, there is no question about this and it clearly flaws the test.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 43

It's so cool how we all have different views on how the world should be. I guess I'm more similar to Thatcher than anyone else, which is great because I'm a big fan!

I think my religious views might have made me more authoritarian than libertarian...

ReputationRep:
    Economic Left/Right: -7.0
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.15

ReputationRep:
    wow. on the line.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.