How hot does your MacBook get?

Watch
mine turtle
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm talking more specifically about the Retina from mid 2014 (but any model's good)

Mine is around 50 to maybe 60 under normal use (until I reach a site that has heavy Flash content). On the few times I do game on it (I game on Windows with my gaming PC 90% of the time) I get temps of 70 to 80 (similar temperature to when rendering video). Sometimes it will go higher than 80 and I think I saw it reach 90 something before cooling down again to nearer to 70.

Games tested:
Borderlands 2
Tomb Raider
Cities Skylines
Sims 3
Sims 4

My old laptop (Windows with an i5 and HD4000 graphics) reached 90 plus when trying to run the Sims 3 (I think my MacBook is 20 degrees lower). It got so hot, the game lagged and the system would be on the edge of overheating that I had to get a laptop cooler (which barely helped) and a program to monitor temps. It told me several times that an overheat and it was going to trigger emergency shutdown because it was a little too close to 105 degrees celsius.

My MacBook is the retina model from mid 2014 with an i7, GTX 750M and 16GB RAM.

Are my temps normal for a MacBook Pro. Also I leave whatever I had open, open when I start a game (Safari, Preview etc)
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mine turtle)
I'm talking more specifically about the Retina from mid 2014 (but any model's good)

Mine is around 50 to maybe 60 under normal use (until I reach a site that has heavy Flash content). On the few times I do game on it (I game on Windows with my gaming PC 90% of the time) I get temps of 70 to 80 (similar temperature to when rendering video). Sometimes it will go higher than 80 and I think I saw it reach 90 something before cooling down again to nearer to 70.

Games tested:
Borderlands 2
Tomb Raider
Cities Skylines
Sims 3
Sims 4

My old laptop (Windows with an i5 and HD4000 graphics) reached 90 plus when trying to run the Sims 3 (I think my MacBook is 20 degrees lower). It got so hot, the game lagged and the system would be on the edge of overheating that I had to get a laptop cooler (which barely helped) and a program to monitor temps. It told me several times that an overheat and it was going to trigger emergency shutdown because it was a little too close to 105 degrees celsius.

Are my temps normal for a MacBook Pro. Also I leave whatever I had open, open when I start a game (Safari, Preview etc)
Where does it tell you what the temperature is?

105 degrees is insane...
mine turtle
Rep:
?
(Original post by rayquaza17)
Where does it tell you what the temperature is?

105 degrees is insane...
iStats Pro tells me the MacBook's temperature. Core Temp measured the temperature on my old laptop (where it was reaching near 105 on the Sims 3)
4ÆM
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Very hot :sexface:
mine turtle
Rep:
?
(Original post by serah.exe)
Very hot :sexface:
Miraculous Ladybug, Chat Noir

Such a dumb program, but so good at the same time :P
RoadtoSuccess
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Games tested:
Borderlands 2
Tomb Raider
Cities Skylines
Sims 3
Sims 4

omg damn im surprised it hasnt melted XD
user382
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It sizzles when my face reflects in the screen. :perv:
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A laptop reaching 85 degrees Celsius isn't surprising under maximum load, in fact I wouldn't expect anything less...

Especially in something as thin as a macbook, the cooling systems are pretty awful and are unlikely to keep it at anything below 70 degrees when there's a high load on the processor.
mine turtle
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoadtoSuccess)
omg damn im surprised it hasnt melted XD
You're surprised which one hasn't melted? Does that mean my gaming temps should be a lot lower. I can close stuff down and then start the game, but the result is the same
RoadtoSuccess
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're surprised which one hasn't melted? Does that mean my gaming temps should be a lot lower. I can close stuff down and then start the game, but the result is the same
my mac never does that lol
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
There should be a written rule (because the unwritten one clearly gets ignored :innocent:) telling people NOT TO PURCHASE MACS IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE A GAMER
mine turtle
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoadtoSuccess)
my mac never does that lol
Never does what and what do you do on it?

(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
There should be a written rule (because the unwritten one clearly gets ignored :innocent:) telling people NOT TO PURCHASE MACS IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE A GAMER
I'm only gaming on it, because my gaming PC is unavailable otherwise I would never do that on it
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago

I'm only gaming on it, because my gaming PC is unavailable otherwise I would never do that on it
Hmm, hopefully you'll sort out another device you can game on or else you'll end up damaging the Mac's processor with all dat pressure :grumble:
Toast210
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Macbooks aren't designed for heavy loads so it will get hot. I would expect 75-80 but 105 seems a bit high. Could it have been the room you were in or any other factors?
Paranoiaa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Get a board which acts as a fan, and put ur Mac on top of that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (113)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (345)
14.95%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (252)
10.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (324)
14.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (104)
4.51%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (135)
5.85%
Loneliness (199)
8.62%
Financial worries (87)
3.77%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (96)
4.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (112)
4.85%
Lack of real life entertainment (123)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (202)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (216)
9.36%

Watched Threads