elyptical1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Heya x

Got through to the interview stage... My application was mainly all the extracurricular stuff I was doing. My project was a compost heap type thing.

Is anyone else entering, or has any tips ??

Thanks a bunch
harrisonchar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How do you know you got an interview? We're not told the outcome of our exam until Thursday
Snoozinghamster
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi I'm also through to interview. Mines in Cambridge where's yours?
harrisonchar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mine's at the Heriot Watt in Edinburgh
P__K
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mine's at Imperial College
harrisonchar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does anyone have any idea about the types of questions we'll be asked, other than on our personal projects?
roadregu
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mine's at Loughborough Congrats to you all

harrisonchar, considering the interview only lasts 20 minutes, I can imagine any other questions will revolve around our extra-curricular interests.
Snoozinghamster
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What have you guys done for your projects. I did the hydraulic arm one but it doesn't look that great. Also what fields are you guys interested in. I picked chemical, marine and aeronautical
roadregu
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I made (well - it's a work in progress) a kind of vest to protect the sternum from low frequencies, using noise-cancelling technology and a small, thin vacuum cavity. It's being a pain in the butt :/
Interested in aeronautics / astronautics, weapons engineering, and mechanical (specifically for rollercoasters, haha)

EDIT: pretty sure I picked nuclear for my third option though. I couldn't decide between that and mechanical
Snoozinghamster
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's sounds so cool. I found the hydraulics an absolute nightmare. They kept leaking it turns out that fish tank tubing leaks a lot!
roadregu
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yup, I decided right off the bat that I wasn't doing anything hydraulics based! It sounds so fiddly, haha! I take it it's all good now though?
Snoozinghamster
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Kind of. It's working just a tad temperamental as sometimes the syringes stick. The claw is als proving "interesting" to make. Just a case of trying to finish it in time. And I have barely any time free at the moment.
harrisonchar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've made a water bottle that filters contaminated water, finding a filter that actually works well enough is proving to be expensive! I'm interested in developing nuclear artillery or how it can be used as a sustainable energy source, and the other two I put down were Aerospace and Mechanical. But questions on extra curricular don't sound too hellish!
roadregu
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you dig through the good ol' TSR archives, there are threads from 2015's and 2014's Arkwright that have far more discussion about the interviews. I don't know, you might find that helpful.
Snoozinghamster
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks. I'll have a look

What questions did you guys answer. I did the tent one and the ball pit one?
abirch
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got an interview at imperial too, I'm so surprised I really thought I had no chance :') I did the exercise thing and the ball pit
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by harrisonchar)
Does anyone have any idea about the types of questions we'll be asked, other than on our personal projects?
I think it can vary quite a lot. I'm sure they've got a standard list of basic questions but, for example, my interview evolved into a conversation about nuclear power.
Jackhammer567
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anyone got ideas on how to prepare for the interview? I feel like i should know my form almost off by heart and practice questions they may ask so i don't use the word 'like too often ' I also may be taking this waay to seriously but it could be worth it. plus i have a sneaky suspicion they will be monitoring us on our team based projects and it will influence our interview a bit.....

also, anyone know how many got through to interview this year? i know about 1500 applied.

Many Thanks
harrisonchar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not sure overall how many got an interview but three of us from my school got one, the links they sent us on the email had some good pointers as to what we would be asked
abirch
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just out of curiosity, do you guys do DT or nah? Because I thought I might be at a disadvantage because I don't, so I hadn't done much designing in exam situations or learning about materials.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?