The Student Room Group

Muslims aren't the problem, Islam is

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IshaAmaani
Well that's right, however people do misinterpret what the Quran says and do take an extreme view.

Who's the arbiter of what counts as a correct interpretation and what counts as a 'misinterpretation?'

All you're implying here is that anybody who takes an 'extreme view' -- in other words, a view not held by you -- is misinterpreting the Koran. I hope I don't have to point out why that's a flawed line of argument.
Original post by Hydeman
Who's the arbiter of what counts as a correct interpretation and what counts as a 'misinterpretation?'

All you're implying here is that anybody who takes an 'extreme view' -- in other words, a view not held by you -- is misinterpreting the Koran. I hope I don't have to point out why that's a flawed line of argument.

Ironically, it was the fundamental medieval Islamic scholars who had a rigid system in determining the "correct course of action", which we are now trying to get rid of all over the world.

Individualism came along (like 1200 years later) and people started to look out for themselves, and gave rulings which benefited them and those close to them, and others manipulated crap and used it to build up large cults where they cultivate wealth and power.

Not too dissimilar to how the Church started to split...
Reply 422
Well that's right, however people do misinterpret what the Quran says and do take an extreme view.
Whose interpretations do you consider to be "extreme misinterpretations", and why?
Original post by The Epicurean
I think there is possible pressure from advertisers and those financing TSR. The fact that they even block the Religion forum from being seen by people who don't have TSR accounts say a lot.
yes, probably financial reasons are important. Muslims are indubitably an important sector of the market, and in the last years they most definitely have become more vocal and more organised

however, the idea that some areas of TSR, such as the ISoc, should be "safe areas" for Muslims, or that some other should somehow be "hidden away" from the outside (as being too controversial) is very worrying. It goes against the entire concept of TSR as a forum for exchange of ideas between people who don't necessarily think alike.
so what does it stand for
I think all religions are stupid and the world would be a better place without them... You know what the LEAST religious countries are? Norway, Japan, Finland, Australia, New Zealand, The Netherlands, Sweden.... basically the best countries in the world. And it works the other way round as well, every country that has a significant religious following is a turd hole like Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Columbia, Nigeria, the list goes on
it's neither muslims nor Islam that's the problem, it's your face
Original post by Sgt_Haytham
This is what the Leader of the EDL party, 'Tommy' Robinson, said whilst on The Big Questions back in 2012. Although I do not follow or support his group, I do have to agree to this point.

I watched the 39 minute long video and he was constantly cut when trying to make his points.

Anyway, I do agree that the religion is at fault, not the people who follow it.

What do you think?

you're the problem
Whether to blame the ideology or the people is an extremely complex problem. It's as complex as determining nature or nurture.

Islam is problematic as ideologies go with a higher potential to cause harm or to bring the worst out of people. You will always find bad people everywhere however some groups may be predisposed more so than others due to genetics, something which is very hard to establish for sure.

You're missing a whole third components beyond the Ideology and people. That'll be everything else.
Religions have been a source of comfort and helped people to live a more fulfilling life over history, they do have a purpose and probably always will do. However, most Holy books were written so long ago that society has changed so dramatically that a lot of their messages are no longer relevant. It is not a question of people misinterpreting religious texts, but rather that some of their teachings are no longer relevant or acceptable. Extremists have been brought up to or choose to take these texts literally, which in today's society results in terrible actions. When the religious texts were written, some of these acts would have been acceptable. There are some good quotes from To Kill a Mockingbird, which are something like 'A Bible in one man's hands is more dangerous than a bottle in the hands of another' and 'Some people spend so long preparing for life in the next world that they never truly learn to live in this one.'
Original post by MrControversial
Whether to blame the ideology or the people is an extremely complex problem.

In fact it's very simple. :cool:
Ideologies are to be blamed, because people follow them.
People are to be blamed, because they created these ideologies.

This statement summarises the misunderstanding about Islam. You cannot claim a view is a 'misunderstanding' simply because you disagree with it. ISIS's view of the faith is not any less Islamic than a peaceful Muslim.
Original post by admonit
In fact it's very simple. :cool:
Ideologies are to be blamed, because people follow them.
People are to be blamed, because they created these ideologies.

If ideologies are to blame then Islamophobia as defined by merely disliking Islam or not having studied it in extreme depth or respecting it over your own cultural values/cultural existence also falls under that because you know, people burn down mosques you know and that's because of their ideology of not having a positive mental image of Islam.

I do agree the ideology sucks and even has a great influence on what people do but you have to be very careful where you draw the line with that and where you want to go with it.

That, is not by any means a simple issue.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending