Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

French GCSE- One sentence help Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hows do you say:

They should at least fix the traffic (embouteillages/bottlneck?) which has been polluting the air and causing embarrassing road rages.

Thanks for the help as i do not know the words or how to form this sentence.

ReputationRep:
    Ils doivent au moins réparer la circulation qu'a pollué l'air et était une cause des rages au volant qu'ils sont embarrassant

??

ReputationRep:
    really not sure about that though!

ReputationRep:
    surina16

thanks for the help! all help is welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edmar Hadad)
    surina16

thanks for the help! all help is welcome
    No problem, although I wouldn't trust that sentence since I'm also doing GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    No problem, although I wouldn't trust that sentence since I'm also doing GCSE
    haha sure thing

ReputationRep:
    You don't say whether this is for a translation or an essay(?).

If you just want an approximation in meaning then perhaps - ils pourraient toujours empecher les embouteillages qui polluent l'air des villes et en plus font rager les conducteurs.

One of the most difficult things is translation because you risk offering a too literal translation which no native speaker would ever say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pickup)
    You don't say whether this is for a translation or an essay(?).

If you just want an approximation in meaning then perhaps - ils pourraient toujours empecher les embouteillages qui polluent l'air des villes et en plus font rager les conducteurs.

One of the most difficult things is translation because you risk offering a too literal translation which no native speaker would ever say.
    Its for GCSE writing, taking that in mind what would be suitable to use?

ReputationRep:
    Hello there !
    "They should at least fix the traffic (embouteillages/bottlneck?) which has been polluting the air and causing embarrassing road rages."
    In french, it will give something like :

"Ils devraient au moins régler le problème du trafic, qui pollue l'air et provoque des comportements violents."

Here I took the liberty to translate "fix" by "régler le problème", as the closest equivalent to this is "réparer", which is out of context here.
    "Embarassing road rages" is quite funny ! You can't translate that directly. I mean, in case of traffic jam, people don't go outside cars and randomly fight, right ?
    So i translated that by "comportement violents" (violent behaviours).

Good luck with your exercise !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.