The Student Room Group

GCSEs will be more DIFFICULT this year than last... were Year 11s lucky in 2015?

It's just occurred to me that the grades I attained in the mocks are unrealistic because the 2015 papers were a lot easier than usual. Moreover, it's questionable as to how difficult the examinations will be this year.

I find it really unfair that the Year 11s last year got easy exams...

Scroll to see replies

Not sure whether I should take the bait...

OP stop complaining about things that 'aren't fair' and revise for your GCSEs
Just revise.... if you haven't noticed life isn't fair - deal with it
Reply 3
Original post by h8skoooooool
Not sure whether I should take the bait...

OP stop complaining about things that 'aren't fair' and revise for your GCSEs

Thank you for the motivation. What did you get in your GCSEs by the way?
The exams are meant to be harder this year because this academic year has a supposedly higher 'national average' for A* grades, or so I've been told.
Original post by Jamie Vardy
It's just occurred to me that the grades I attained in the mocks are unrealistic because the 2015 papers were a lot easier than usual. Moreover, it's questionable as to how difficult the examinations will be this year.

:toofunny:
I'm dreading this year too tbh :frown:
Whilst doing my mocks, all I could think of was how our exams are going to be harder than the ones of 2015 :/
Reply 7
Are we going to have lower grade boundaries?

I get you mann. Especially the math/english ones are gonna be the death of me. Swear i shall jump off a cliff if edexcel decides to be a cactus-which is very likely.:colonhash:
Original post by kn6440

If everyone effs up in it. Then yeh
Original post by kn6440

We should do, but I doubt it
Original post by surina16
I'm dreading this year too tbh :frown:
Whilst doing my mocks, all I could think of was how our exams are going to be harder than the ones of 2015 :/

Don't understand why everyone thinks they will suddenly be harder? If they are the grade boundaries will reflect this anyway
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Don't understand why everyone thinks they will suddenly be harder? If they are the grade boundaries will reflect this anyway

I think it was somewhere that Michael Gove said the 2015 exams will be harder since they are the last ones before the reforms? idk.
Reply 13
Man, you definitely do NOT WANT EASY exams.
Easy exams mean insanely high grade boundaries. So, if your the kind of person who makes stupid mistakes and drops 5 marks because of that, and then drop another few due to mistakes, then you are already a grade down.

My biology teacher was saying (A level) that in one exam 14 marks separated an A and a U.

Exams which everyone finds easy basically means high grade boundaries, so less room to mess up.

I did them in 2015
every year always complains about how the year before had it easier than them when in reality the difficulty of gcses doesn't fluctuate that much so get over yourselves stop whining and get revising
Reply 15
I have my mocks in a weeks time and i haven't been revising much. I think procrastination is a disease to many of my fellow friends and im going start putting in the work, so by May I'll be ready to get top grades
Reply 16
You'll be in shock when you reach A-level. Things get 0 to 100 real quick.
Thank you for the motivation. What did you get in your GCSEs by the way?

I got 9 A*s and 2 As

Regardless of how 'easy' or 'hard' the exams will be this year, as long as you put in the work you will be successful - don't stress

It's all a matter of perspective.

In your mocks you have fewer exams and you have recently completed the content. During exam season you have more exams and you have content which you learnt months ago. Also during exam season, you know these are the exams that count and are really your only shot - pressure is one of the main reasons why people can struggle on easy things you would usually sail through during your mock.

Based on what people achieved though it is seen for them to be harder, with fewer people getting A*s and the same percentage achieving As. If they were easier, more would've achieved A*s and As than the year before.
Reply 19

Some of the 2015 exams were the hardest they've been in years. For example, I found my Geography papers dreadful, reflected by the low grade boundaries. Other easy exams had high grade boundaries, that meant you could have done really well percentage wise but got maybe a B. If an exam is considered 'hard' and people performed more poorly, the grade boundaries will reflect that, and that will be no different this year compared to last.

Year 11s did not get easy exams, but easy or not, less people got A*s last year than in 2014.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest