Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

crush advice Watch

Announcements

I've had a crush on this guy at my school for a month or so now, and I`m in my final year of high school. I`m really shy when it comes to talking to new people. I need some advice on what to do.

ReputationRep:
    I was exactly like this, but at college instead. That's why I've decided to help you out!
    I was in my final year of college and it doesn't make it any easier. From my own experience I definitely suggest you make a move to talk to him first at least!
    I was super shy at college - and I liked this guy all year. There's no point in waiting for him to do something, because chances are, he won't. Even if he does like you back (which obviously we don't know) there's still no guarantee that he'll talk to you or show any interest.
    Being shy really doesn't do you any favours does it?! Trust me, if you don't talk to him, you'll regret it ... like I have done. And now he's gone to a university that is milesssssss away and I still regret it now that I didn't do something more than I did!
    So , there's multiple ways to go about this -
    1) Talk to him face to face- I know that sounds scary to someone who is shy. But it's actually a lot easier than you might think. I know I was an over-thinker and over-analysed the situation. It's really not that bad. If you're at school, and do the same subject, then ask him about a topic you've been doing, or, like I did (embarrassingly!) think of a pun - I thought of a maths one that shall not be repeated!
    2) If talking is all a little too much, then smile! It makes all the difference. It's better than the (slightly creepy) eye contact I made with my crush. Yes, it was good while it lasted, but still. I don't think that helped me either. Smiling will make you look approachable, if done right. Just a slight and soft smile will do the trick. Try it!
    3) Talk to him over social media. dum dum dummmm. I know it sounds scary- especially if you're scared he won't reply, but it sometimes is the only option. I wish I'd have done it! Just drop them a message in their inbox. And leave it. Yep. That wait can be scary. BUT, if he does reply, then great, just go about it calmly (even if inside you're celebrating!) :danceboy:, yet if he doesn't reply.... then oh well! If he's the sort of person to ignore people, then do you really want to pursue him? Ask yourself that. (And messaging is easy compared to talking face to face so I advise this immensely!) Regarding what to put, anything from, "Hi", "Have you heard about this ..." (in the news or something?), or if you're in classes together, think of something he'd like to talk about or something from class. Like for me, I found out he liked Radio 6 (I know right), and that could have been a topic starter!

Seriously, don't over think it, don't over stress it, and don't over analyse any response you get! Whether it's a good response or not, at least you did something. Because I cannot express how disappointed in myself I am that I didn't do anything. When I look back on it now, no matter how shy I was, I still should have done something.
    Go for it! And good luck.
    Just please don't let shyness take over like I did. :five:

(Original post by EmEternal2)
    I was exactly like this, but at college instead. That's why I've decided to help you out!
    I was in my final year of college and it doesn't make it any easier. From my own experience I definitely suggest you make a move to talk to him first at least!
    I was super shy at college - and I liked this guy all year. There's no point in waiting for him to do something, because chances are, he won't. Even if he does like you back (which obviously we don't know) there's still no guarantee that he'll talk to you or show any interest.
    Being shy really doesn't do you any favours does it?! Trust me, if you don't talk to him, you'll regret it ... like I have done. And now he's gone to a university that is milesssssss away and I still regret it now that I didn't do something more than I did!
    So , there's multiple ways to go about this -
    1) Talk to him face to face- I know that sounds scary to someone who is shy. But it's actually a lot easier than you might think. I know I was an over-thinker and over-analysed the situation. It's really not that bad. If you're at school, and do the same subject, then ask him about a topic you've been doing, or, like I did (embarrassingly!) think of a pun - I thought of a maths one that shall not be repeated!
    2) If talking is all a little too much, then smile! It makes all the difference. It's better than the (slightly creepy) eye contact I made with my crush. Yes, it was good while it lasted, but still. I don't think that helped me either. Smiling will make you look approachable, if done right. Just a slight and soft smile will do the trick. Try it!
    3) Talk to him over social media. dum dum dummmm. I know it sounds scary- especially if you're scared he won't reply, but it sometimes is the only option. I wish I'd have done it! Just drop them a message in their inbox. And leave it. Yep. That wait can be scary. BUT, if he does reply, then great, just go about it calmly (even if inside you're celebrating!) :danceboy:, yet if he doesn't reply.... then oh well! If he's the sort of person to ignore people, then do you really want to pursue him? Ask yourself that. (And messaging is easy compared to talking face to face so I advise this immensely!) Regarding what to put, anything from, "Hi", "Have you heard about this ..." (in the news or something?), or if you're in classes together, think of something he'd like to talk about or something from class. Like for me, I found out he liked Radio 6 (I know right), and that could have been a topic starter!

Seriously, don't over think it, don't over stress it, and don't over analyse any response you get! Whether it's a good response or not, at least you did something. Because I cannot express how disappointed in myself I am that I didn't do anything. When I look back on it now, no matter how shy I was, I still should have done something.
    Go for it! And good luck.
    Just please don't let shyness take over like I did. :five:
    hi, I will definitely try your advice! hes good friends with someone im also good friends with so if im with her ill try and spark up a conversation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.