Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Heroes Apply Within Watch

Announcements

It's come to the point where I feel so low that I feel the need to seek consoling from you lovely folk of The Student Room.

To give you a brief overview, I've suffered from panic attacks and other forms of anxiety for about 7 years now but it is only when coming away to university that it's manifested itself in an unmanageable form. For example, when I went home for Christmas I was so anxious that I would have to go back to university that I couldn't eat properly, couldn't sleep on my own - I had to pitch up a bed on my parents floor and even then struggled to sleep properly, didn't ever want to be alone, didn't have the energy or the willingness to carry on with things at all.

When I did go back in the new year, things came to head again; I lasted about three days before my dad had to come and get me. Before I left, I spoke to a doctor who gave me some tablets to try and help with the panic attacks.

Now I've struggled back to university, I can see the tablets having an effect in that my panic attacks don't paralyse me like they did before. I get the dips in mood and the hopelessness, I just don't know what to do. It seems like most of my course and tutors put my absence down to "homesickness" but it's more than that. To be honest, despite being at university to be all I ever used to want, I don't think I can do it anymore. I think I need to go home. Am I giving up too easily?

Please, all heroes, apply within. I need saving.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    It's come to the point where I feel so low that I feel the need to seek consoling from you lovely folk of The Student Room.

To give you a brief overview, I've suffered from panic attacks and other forms of anxiety for about 7 years now but it is only when coming away to university that it's manifested itself in an unmanageable form. For example, when I went home for Christmas I was so anxious that I would have to go back to university that I couldn't eat properly, couldn't sleep on my own - I had to pitch up a bed on my parents floor and even then struggled to sleep properly, didn't ever want to be alone, didn't have the energy or the willingness to carry on with things at all.

When I did go back in the new year, things came to head again; I lasted about three days before my dad had to come and get me. Before I left, I spoke to a doctor who gave me some tablets to try and help with the panic attacks.

Now I've struggled back to university, I can see the tablets having an effect in that my panic attacks don't paralyse me like they did before. I get the dips in mood and the hopelessness, I just don't know what to do. It seems like most of my course and tutors put my absence down to "homesickness" but it's more than that. To be honest, despite being at university to be all I ever used to want, I don't think I can do it anymore. I think I need to go home. Am I giving up too easily?

Please, all heroes, apply within. I need saving.
    Hi, I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. Well done for going to the doctors, perhaps you should go again and discuss the trouble you are having and see what they recommend. Perhaps you could try CBT? Also, speak to the student support at your university as they could help. Have you spoken to your parents about all of this and thought about your options?

ReputationRep:
    So sorry to hear this but i don't think we tsr kids can help aside from giving you some generally obvious advice... So her is mine, i suggest you maybe find some sort of distraction from thinking about things, the less you think the more you just slide with things, please don't give up on uni as you may regret it later. Try find some to spend as much time as you can with.... This is a very long post but i had a friend at uni with the same problem and i offered to spend as much time with them as i could (we were in same course) even to the point that we slept in the same bed after spending hours up talking or watching documentaries, he then ended up getting himself a gf and was happier than ever. Good memories. Any back to your situation that is about all i can offer you sorryy. If you want to talk pm me!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.