The Student Room Group

Benefits of going through DSA?

I got approved for a laptop through DSA which I decided to upgrade to a Mac.
I was wondering what the benefits of going through DSA were rather than going through Apple.

I would pay:

DSA -> £655 total (the 200 that everyone has to pay is included in that) for a Classic MacBook Pro (I think it's a 2014 model because its not even listen on the apple website anymore with the specs and everything they provided, and I asked my friend who works at Apple and she said it hadn't been made in a couple of years )

Apple -> £644 (with 95 pounds reimbursement from SFE) for a new model Macbook Air.

I'm assuming both would be covered by Apple warranty?
I've got the Air currently and it's fine, it does everything I need it to do but it is almost 6 years old so it's getting to the point of needing to replace it

I don't understand how it's £100 cheaper to go directly through apple (once you take off the reimbursement, i'm gonna end up paying around £550) for a newer model?

I don't need it to do any heaving video editing or anything like that, but i've always used Mac and it's just what i'd prefer =)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hiya,

I went through DSA for my mac and my uni will reimburse me the £200 contribution so in all I paid an extra £400ish. But this included everything being specifically changed to suit a mac. So I have a mac keyboard, mac dictation software, etc, etc. I added it all up and it would have cost me more if I had not gone through DSA. Also I'm not too sure that you can go out and buy your own and then claim the cost back. I couldn't. Hope that helps?
Reply 2
Original post by Fliccy
Hiya,

I went through DSA for my mac and my uni will reimburse me the £200 contribution so in all I paid an extra £400ish. But this included everything being specifically changed to suit a mac. So I have a mac keyboard, mac dictation software, etc, etc. I added it all up and it would have cost me more if I had not gone through DSA. Also I'm not too sure that you can go out and buy your own and then claim the cost back. I couldn't. Hope that helps?

SFE said that they'll reimburse £95 if i do get my own then I can get all the mac software through my supplier which SFE will pay them =/

How did you go about asking your uni to reimburse it? mine said I needed to pay it myself =S
Reply 3
I had to pay it myself initially but then the uni will reimburse me. I think it may depend on income but speak to your disability services at uni. Mine are really good and told me this and sent me the form to say that I have paid for it.
How long is the warranty if you go through Apple and not SFE?
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
How long is the warranty if you go through Apple and not SFE?

Standard 1 year Apple Waranty
Original post by Jackieox
Standard 1 year Apple Waranty

It has to be for as long as your course is, from what as I remember.
I was wondering what the benefits of going through DSA were rather than going through Apple.

I would pay:

DSA -> £655 total (the 200 that everyone has to pay is included in that) for a Classic MacBook Pro (I think it's a 2014 model because its not even listen on the apple website anymore with the specs and everything they provided, and I asked my friend who works at Apple and she said it hadn't been made in a couple of years )

Apple -> £644 (with 95 pounds reimbursement from SFE) for a new model Macbook Air.

I've got the Air currently and it's fine, it does everything I need it to do but it is almost 6 years old so it's getting to the point of needing to replace it

I don't understand how it's £100 cheaper to go directly through apple (once you take off the reimbursement, i'm gonna end up paying around £550) for a newer model?

I don't need it to do any heaving video editing or anything like that, but i've always used Mac and it's just what i'd prefer =)

hello,
I am currently at uni at Newman university and when applying for DSA i had the same problem. in the end they didn't supply me with enough for a mac but i could have added money to it but i chose to get another laptop and i kind of regret it, i still very much prefer mac books.
do any of you guys know the sort of laptop you can get from your DSA if you just pay the basic £200? is it a decent make and model and stuff or is it just going to be a bit naff??
Reply 9
Original post by mad_maddie
do any of you guys know the sort of laptop you can get from your DSA if you just pay the basic £200? is it a decent make and model and stuff or is it just going to be a bit naff??

I'm from NI, I didn't pay the 200, but I got a Dell business laptop, which is pretty decent. Another girl I know got a lovely HP.
It depends on your needs. I got a Surface Pro 4 with type cover as I need light weight equipment. No contribution towards it as Student Finance NI cover all costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would pay:

I personally repair motherboards for a living at the moment and I have to tell you Apple stuff is made incredibly bad.

I would advise you to get yourself a mini-itx case and just hook it to your tv in your room.

As for taking notes just get a android tablet or a chrome book. Something which doesnt cost much if you drop it.

just get this for your room.

http://www.ebuyer.com/735870-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7260-3041

and this for taking notes

http://www.ebuyer.com/724140-hp-chromebook-11-g4-n1a81ea-abu?gclid=CjwKEAjw_oK4BRDym-SDq-aczicSJAC7UVRt967SA7kXpH6emux-17UhiKjaSKMCBTVVQVF0dC4yfBoCS0jw_wcB#fo_c=951&fo_k=e9b8baa21dbefdea5a1c0979e87d8b75&fo_s=gplauk?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=51467863979&pkw=&pmt=

oh and dont go buying a computer to play video games on. that is 1 way your gonna set yourself up to fail because you will slack off given the opportunity that your pc can run some mmo like world of warcraft etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by illegaltobepoor
I personally repair motherboards for a living at the moment and I have to tell you Apple stuff is made incredibly bad.

I would advise you to get yourself a mini-itx case and just hook it to your tv in your room.

As for taking notes just get a android tablet or a chrome book. Something which doesnt cost much if you drop it.

just get this for your room.

http://www.ebuyer.com/735870-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7260-3041

and this for taking notes

http://www.ebuyer.com/724140-hp-chromebook-11-g4-n1a81ea-abu?gclid=CjwKEAjw_oK4BRDym-SDq-aczicSJAC7UVRt967SA7kXpH6emux-17UhiKjaSKMCBTVVQVF0dC4yfBoCS0jw_wcB#fo_c=951&fo_k=e9b8baa21dbefdea5a1c0979e87d8b75&fo_s=gplauk?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=51467863979&pkw=&pmt=

oh and dont go buying a computer to play video games on. that is 1 way your gonna set yourself up to fail because you will slack off given the opportunity that your pc can run some mmo like world of warcraft etc.

How would you make notes with a tablet....? Surely you'd need a portable keyboard.
Original post by redinthegrey
How would you make notes with a tablet....? Surely you'd need a portable keyboard.

Well if your more orientated to laptops I would suggest a 11 inch Chromebook which can be had for less than £150.

You might ask yourself why bother? Well they use less power than a budget laptop, they have Solid State Drives and they are light & compact. Its basically the perfect note taker.

Best of all the early Samsung Chromebooks are selling for less than £60 (USED).

Just put Ubuntu onto one and its a dream come true.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Well if your more orientated to laptops I would suggest a 11 inch Chromebook which can be had for less than £150.

You might ask yourself why bother? Well they use less power than a budget laptop, they have Solid State Drives and they are light & compact. Its basically the perfect note taker.

Best of all the early Samsung Chromebooks are selling for less than £60 (USED).

Just put Ubuntu onto one and its a dream come true.

Aha okay. I had a Zenbook UX305 which I thought has good specs but it had problems so I had to take it back to the shop. :frown: Bad speakers too...
Original post by redinthegrey
Aha okay. I had a Zenbook UX305 which I thought has good specs but it had problems so I had to take it back to the shop. :frown: Bad speakers too...

I only considered spending over £500 when the ASUS UL30A was on the market offering 12 hours battery life but now Ultra Low Voltage CPU's are all over the market and if you make the right choice you can spend less than £200 and a get a Laptop that will last a full day on 1 charge.

When it comes to high specifications don't bother with Laptops. You are wasting your money. Your basically paying for a power house in a small container.

Best thing to do is have a ultra mobile long battery life cookie cutter laptop and a ultra powerful desktop at home.

Quick Reply

Latest