Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is a metaparticle Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm just editing my coursework assignment I finished in June last year, which was on the hypothetical particle; the tachyon. Tachyons are theorised to be metaparticles, but I'm having trouble finding out what metaparticles actually are.

Please help
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennz)
    Hi there,
    I'm just editing my coursework assignment I finished in June last year, which was on the hypothetical particle; the tachyon. Tachyons are theorised to be metaparticles, but I'm having trouble finding out what metaparticles actually are.

Please help
    Meta-physics is a branch of philosophy that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of existence. i.e. what exists and how to describe it.

Meta-particles are therefore hypothetical with nothing but circumstantial or indirect evidence to support their unobserved (or currently unobservable) existence. In other words they are imagined to exist simply because there is no way of refuting or confirming their existence. Rather like saying there is a flying teapot orbiting the sun - now prove I am wrong.

Hence Tachyons are contentious meta-particles because if they exist, we have no way of observing them and also that they would hypothetically break laws of determinism - or would they?
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    A meta-particle is one theorised to hold together dark matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennz)
    Hi there,

Please help
    What was your source for the statement that tachyons are theorised to be metaparticles?

ReputationRep:
    www.google.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    www.google.co.uk
    Wow. 6 neg reps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    What was your source for the statement that tachyons are theorised to be metaparticles?
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...rticle&f=false

ReputationRep:
    Well according to that book (p52, paragraph 2), 'meta particle' is just the word used to refer to a tachyon by a previous paper. Saying 'tachyons are metaparticles' is not giving you any extra information about tachyons; it's just letting you know an alternative word for them.

However, I've never encountered the phrase before and it doesn't seem to occur in many (if any) journal articles so I don't think it is really in use. I would avoid using the term so you don't confuse your audience. It does not seem to have a well-defined meaning in an academic (or otherwise) context, and may accidentally point them towards the seemingly pseudoscientific work on metaparticles.com.

ReputationRep:
    A tachyon, or a tachyonic particle, is named after the word for 'rapid' in Greek.

There are three types of particle:

The tachyon; always moves faster than light
    The luxon; always moving at the speed of light
    The bradyon; always moving slower than light

A metaparticle is so called because it was first predicted by metaphysics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    Well according to that book (p52, paragraph 2), 'meta particle' is just the word used to refer to a tachyon by a previous paper. Saying 'tachyons are metaparticles' is not giving you any extra information about tachyons; it's just letting you know an alternative word for them.

However, I've never encountered the phrase before and it doesn't seem to occur in many (if any) journal articles so I don't think it is really in use. I would avoid using the term so you don't confuse your audience. It does not seem to have a well-defined meaning in an academic (or otherwise) context, and may accidentally point them towards the seemingly pseudoscientific work on metaparticles.com.
    Yeah when i looked at metaphysics theories i thought that must have been the case.its probably another word for being a hypothetical particle like many of you have said. Thanks everyone for your input.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennz)
    Yeah when i looked at metaphysics theories i thought that must have been the case.its probably another word for being a hypothetical particle like many of you have said. Thanks everyone for your input.
    YW

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.