The Student Room Group

Rst4c - aqa a2 religious studies

Scroll to see replies

Scratch that i think i got an e
And what are the grade bounderis
Reply 22
Not started revision yet, so where's vest to start? I understand utilitarianism quite well and partly know Kantianism which are teleological and deontological respectively, but where should I go from here? Should I just focus on one type of topic since someone said they'll ask a question on either topic separately and not merge them... I'm abit lost🙊
Original post by Vladdy
Not started revision yet, so where's vest to start? I understand utilitarianism quite well and partly know Kantianism which are teleological and deontological respectively, but where should I go from here? Should I just focus on one type of topic since someone said they'll ask a question on either topic separately and not merge them... I'm abit lost🙊

This unit covers either Religious Authority or Ways of Reading and Understanding Scripture or Ways of Moral Decision-Making, and by the sounds of it you're doing the latter like me.

Within Ways of MDM, they can ask either a question on religious approaches, secular approaches (i.e. deontological, teleological and hybrid) or on just the issues which arise from medical/business ethics. So out of the three sub-topics, they will only ask 2 questions.

Apparently there has only been one year where the issues came up and secular approaches didn't, all the other years there has been a question on religious approaches and a question on the secular approaches, so you're best off learning 2 out of the three in case the secular approaches don't come up this year!

Hope this made sense haha, it's 1am and my brain is tired!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by ohmyapplepie
This unit covers either Religious Authority or Ways of Reading and Understanding Scripture or Ways of Moral Decision-Making, and by the sounds of it you're doing the latter like me.

Within Ways of MDM, they can ask either a question on religious approaches, secular approaches (i.e. deontological, teleological and hybrid) or on just the issues which arise from medical/business ethics. So out of the three sub-topics, they will only ask 2 questions.

Apparently there has only been one year where the issues came up and secular approaches didn't, all the other years there has been a question on religious approaches and a question on the secular approaches, so you're best off learning 2 out of the three in case the secular approaches don't come up this year!

Hope this made sense haha, it's 1am and my brain is tired!

Thank you, it made sense don't worry haha, i think i will just look at secular approaches and medical/business ethics since they're the ones we focused on most throughout the year anyway. Next year the spec will change and so i dont think they'll go crazy with questions and probably put secular approches in again, but you never know. I need to do good in this exam to cancel the sh*t storm that happened with unit 3😭
Original post by Vladdy
Thank you, it made sense don't worry haha, i think i will just look at secular approaches and medical/business ethics since they're the ones we focused on most throughout the year anyway. Next year the spec will change and so i dont think they'll go crazy with questions and probably put secular approches in again, but you never know. I need to do good in this exam to cancel the sh*t storm that happened with unit 3😭

Ah I'm glad! That's what I'm doing, really not a fan of the religion stuff! What unit did you do? I messed up a bit on RST3B, luckily each paper is only worth 25% so last years' and this paper should help boost my grade a bit!
Reply 26
Teleological:
Utiliatrianism
Deontological:
Kant & Deontolgy
Divine Command Theory
Rossian Ethics
Natural Moral Law
Hybrid: Situation Ethics
Proportionalism
Existentialism
Am I missing any?
Original post by Jehaan
Teleological:
Utiliatrianism
Deontological:
Kant & Deontolgy
Divine Command Theory
Rossian Ethics
Natural Moral Law
Hybrid: Situation Ethics
Proportionalism
Existentialism
Am I missing any?

Whats that ????????????
Reply 28
Original post by Uw0tm8_
Whats that ????????????

It's a set of ethics created by a guy named Ross. I came across them on the BBC ethics page for deontology and he's right under Kant. He's really good for talking about medical ethics as he talk about autonomy and justice. It's not essential to know him and we probably don't need to know about him but I just found his ideas really interesting.
Reply 29
Ah I'm glad! That's what I'm doing, really not a fan of the religion stuff! What unit did you do? I messed up a bit on RST3B, luckily each paper is only worth 25% so last years' and this paper should help boost my grade a bit!

I personally don't think it's needed. I did RST3A and true, i got a B overall last year so hopefully i can ace this one and that'll bring me back up.
Reply 30
Is utilitarianism literally the only purely teleological ethic?
Reply 31
Original post by Jehaan

I think so.. but in the spec it only mentions utilitarianism so learning another would be a waste of time in my opinion.
Original post by Jehaan

Situation Ethics is teleological as well, though some may argue it's a hybrid due to the rule of agape, we learnt it as a teleological theory.

All the theories could be deemed hybrid if you think about it!
(edited 7 years ago)
Situation Ethics is teleological as well, though some may argue it's a hybrid due to the rule of agape, we learnt it as a teleological theory.

All the theories could be deemed hybrid if you think about it!

situation ethics is definitely a hybrid ethical system comprised of deontological and teleological theories ( I would say the only other one you could tenuously say is hybrid is rule utilitarianism at a push). If they ask about hybrid theories, discuss situation ethics, and to evaluate it, use the components of it that are reminiscent of the other two theories, so the weaknesses of those theories that relate to sit ethics will also be weaknesses of sit ethics. (such as uti focuses on maximum happiness for maximum number, sit ethics focuses on doing most loving kind thing, both hard to quantify/predict). Hope that helps ! x
Reply 34
Original post by popbop321
situation ethics is definitely a hybrid ethical system comprised of deontological and teleological theories ( I would say the only other one you could tenuously say is hybrid is rule utilitarianism at a push). If they ask about hybrid theories, discuss situation ethics, and to evaluate it, use the components of it that are reminiscent of the other two theories, so the weaknesses of those theories that relate to sit ethics will also be weaknesses of sit ethics. (such as uti focuses on maximum happiness for maximum number, sit ethics focuses on doing most loving kind thing, both hard to quantify/predict). Hope that helps ! x

I'd say that virtue ethics is hybrid as well but I agree that situation ethics is hybrid definitely
Reply 35
Original post by Vladdy
I think so.. but in the spec it only mentions utilitarianism so learning another would be a waste of time in my opinion.

The spec doesn't mention any theories in the RST4C section? I thought the whole point is that you can go as broad as you want
If hybrid comes up for the RST4C Moral Decision Making (Ethical systems), we can discuss:
Kantian ethics, Rule Util,. Situation Ethics and even Natural Moral Law. We just have to show how it contains elements of both deontology and teleology
Reply 37
Original post by cherrybanana
If hybrid comes up for the RST4C Moral Decision Making (Ethical systems), we can discuss:
Kantian ethics, Rule Util,. Situation Ethics and even Natural Moral Law. We just have to show how it contains elements of both deontology and teleology

Out of interest, how would you justify Kantian ethics as hybrid?
Original post by Jehaan
Out of interest, how would you justify Kantian ethics as hybrid?

Kantian ethics is deontoligcal as it proposes universal laws (which pass the categorical imperative) and everyone has a duty to follow. However, the teleological aspect lies in the fact that the third test of the C.I. suggests that universal laws must aim to achieve the universal kingdom of ends. This is focusing on producing a perfect society and thus, it is focusing on the consequences of the rules :smile:
Original post by cherrybanana
Kantian ethics is deontoligcal as it proposes universal laws (which pass the categorical imperative) and everyone has a duty to follow. However, the teleological aspect lies in the fact that the third test of the C.I. suggests that universal laws must aim to achieve the universal kingdom of ends. This is focusing on producing a perfect society and thus, it is focusing on the consequences of the rules :smile:

i've always been taught that kantian ethics is deontological and W.D.Ross is the hybrid theory?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending