The Student Room Group

Rst4c - aqa a2 religious studies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherrybanana
Is it alright if I only discuss two areas of medical research/developments in the section on Ethical Systems for a 45 mark? I will be exploring the areas in depth

Most exemplars I've read (of a higher mark) talks about 2-3 areas of medical ethics but then explores them with 5 different ethical systems e.g. Act/Rule util, Natural Law, Kant, Situation Ethics. But obviously, don't talk of all 5 systems for one issue.
I get the gist that you pick the ones that are most appropriate and have enough substance in theory to explore.

e.g. vague skeleton structure:

intro...

1. first medical issue briefly explained

1. ethical system on the medical issue
2. ethical system on the medical issue
3. ethical system on the medical issue

2. Second medical issue briefly explained

conclusion or if you can write really concise and have enough time to explore another medical issue- go for it! (it covers the top levels breadth OR depth- don't aim for both if you can't)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 61
Is it alright if I only discuss two areas of medical research/developments in the section on Ethical Systems for a 45 mark? I will be exploring the areas in depth

I would say as long as you can explain it in depth and you are not going off on irrelevant tangents you will be fine to only focus on two. Out of interest, which two are you thinking of?
Reply 62
Also, how is everyone going about structuring their essays on ethical issues or explaining how teleological systems are used to make moral decisions regarding areas of medical research

I haven't thought about the first one but for the second one I am planning on choosing a medical ethical issue and then applying as many teleological systems as i can to it. For example, if I choose to do animal testing I would look at utilitarianism and then I would look at the difference between mill/bentham and Peter Singer but I really hate the teleological issues one as you can only really talk about utilitarianism unless you dip into the hybrid issues.
Thinking about it for the first one I would look at why an issue is an issue. For example, people in a PVS are still considered people with the autonomy of any conscious person or look at why embryos are held in such high regard-because of their potentiality as people
Reply 63
I reallllllly need help with religious authority for islam i am so lost please someone help me
Reply 64
Original post by artymaniac
Are we allowed to talk about people in pvs and whether they are stil considered a person- which aspect of this is a medical ethical issue? how do you link medical issues to medical research in a paragraph- with mentioning a scholar like Jeremy bentham? e.g describing medical research like embryo experimentation then issue of when does life begin- then how would you link in an ethicist in a paragraph?- Does anyone have any examples?? As Im really confused as to what to include in a paragraph.. also is what does it mean to be human an ethical issue??

Thanks in advance :smile:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2060-W-TRB-U4RST4-C1-CEXW-T2-JUN11.PDF
I think it's quite hard to describe it without writing it out. So I've attached the A* exemplar from the website but I'm not sure if it helps or not! Let me know if it makes sense
Look at page 9 it won't let me attach it
Hey thank you sooo much for this, its much appreciated!. Just to clarify, would an ethical issue be when does life begin? and the medical research would be embryology right?? This essay is really good- but i didnt know it was supposed to be that heavy on ethical systems when its an ethical issue question!!
Original post by Jehaan
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2060-W-TRB-U4RST4-C1-CEXW-T2-JUN11.PDF
I think it's quite hard to describe it without writing it out. So I've attached the A* exemplar from the website but I'm not sure if it helps or not! Let me know if it makes sense
Look at page 9 it won't let me attach it
Has anyone got any predictions?
Not sure really...teleological and ethical issues as a general question applied to medical. I tried to predict the 3A paper and was hoping for a determinism question and it was Libertarianism for like the 3rd/4th year can't remember so anything could come up. Just hope its medically related :smile:

Original post by Uw0tm8_
Has anyone got any predictions?
Reply 68
Original post by artymaniac
Hey thank you sooo much for this, its much appreciated!. Just to clarify, would an ethical issue be when does life begin? and the medical research would be embryology right?? This essay is really good- but i didnt know it was supposed to be that heavy on ethical systems when its an ethical issue question!!

Yes the ethical issue is when does life begin but remember to always relate it back to why it is an issue for medical ethics ie because embryology uses embryos so if life begins at conception then you are using essentially people= Kant says no as you are using people as a means to an end ect ect
Original post by Kings_queens
Not sure really...teleological and ethical issues as a general question applied to medical. I tried to predict the 3A paper and was hoping for a determinism question and it was Libertarianism for like the 3rd/4th year can't remember so anything could come up. Just hope its medically related :smile:

yeah looking at past trends I would've said teleological is most likely to come up,
how are you structuring the 30 marker?
Original post by Uw0tm8_
yeah looking at past trends I would've said teleological is most likely to come up,
how are you structuring the 30 marker?

hmm well it sort of depends what the exact question is really
but if it was like 'assess the view that hybrid ethical systems are most suitable for moral decision making'
-introduction define hybrid
-weakness of deontology
-weakness of teleology
-examine one or two hybrid
-strengths/weaknesses of hybrid
-conclusion
has RST4C only been a topic for 3 years?
Past questions only go back as far as 2013? :s-smilie: I'm just trying to work out what might come up and cram because I've done nothing yet, but there seems hardly any past questions ...
Please can someone list the strengths and weaknesses of hybrid ethical systems (preferably about 5 each side)?
Thank you so much for clarifying... Good luck for tomorrow! :smile:
Original post by Jehaan
Yes the ethical issue is when does life begin but remember to always relate it back to why it is an issue for medical ethics ie because embryology uses embryos so if life begins at conception then you are using essentially people= Kant says no as you are using people as a means to an end ect ect
Original post by chaotic.school
Most exemplars I've read (of a higher mark) talks about 2-3 areas of medical ethics but then explores them with 5 different ethical systems e.g. Act/Rule util, Natural Law, Kant, Situation Ethics. But obviously, don't talk of all 5 systems for one issue.
I get the gist that you pick the ones that are most appropriate and have enough substance in theory to explore.

e.g. vague skeleton structure:

intro...

1. first medical issue briefly explained

3. ethical system on the medical issue

2. Second medical issue briefly explained

conclusion or if you can write really concise and have enough time to explore another medical issue- go for it! (it covers the top levels breadth OR depth- don't aim for both if you can't)

Thank you!!!!!!! :smile:
Hopefully I will be going in depth with 2 areas of medical research. I will apply each one to 1 deontological and 1 teleological system with reference to the ethical issues raised throughout the whole essay!
Original post by Jehaan
I haven't thought about the first one but for the second one I am planning on choosing a medical ethical issue and then applying as many teleological systems as i can to it. For example, if I choose to do animal testing I would look at utilitarianism and then I would look at the difference between mill/bentham and Peter Singer but I really hate the teleological issues one as you can only really talk about utilitarianism unless you dip into the hybrid issues.
Thinking about it for the first one I would look at why an issue is an issue. For example, people in a PVS are still considered people with the autonomy of any conscious person or look at why embryos are held in such high regard-because of their potentiality as people

Ahhhh ok! I am taking a similar approach. I will only explore two teleological systems (Situation ethics and utilitarianism) and apply these two two areas of medical research, with reference to what makes these systems teleological :smile:
How would anyone structure an essay titled:

"Teleological ethical systems can solve any moral issue"

or

"Assess the strengths and weaknesses of different ethical systems when they are applied to one major issue arising from your chosen topic"

:smile:
How would anyone structure an essay titled:

"Teleological ethical systems can solve any moral issue"

or

"Assess the strengths and weaknesses of different ethical systems when they are applied to one major issue arising from your chosen topic"

:smile:

for the first one i would talk about two teleological theories and how they may be able to solve then talk about the weaknesses and how they are solved through hybrid theories and maybe then talk specific about the question that it can solve some moral issues not all ... plus fit deontological in there somewhere
Original post by popbop321
has RST4C only been a topic for 3 years?
Past questions only go back as far as 2013? :s-smilie: I'm just trying to work out what might come up and cram because I've done nothing yet, but there seems hardly any past questions ...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Kings_queens
for the first one i would talk about two teleological theories and how they may be able to solve then talk about the weaknesses and how they are solved through hybrid theories and maybe then talk specific about the question that it can solve some moral issues not all ... plus fit deontological in there somewhere

Thank you :smile:

I have been planning a similar structure but I for hybrid systems, would you be referring to Virtue ethics or one of the other ethical systems which are traditionally deontological/teleological but can be argued to be hybrid (e.g. situation ethics)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending