Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best thing to order in an Italian restaurant?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    Spaghetti bolognese of courseeee
    Spaghetti Bolognese isn't an Italian dish, it's a meal invented in England by putting one type of Italian food on top of another type of Italian food.

It would be a bit like baking fried chicken into a pumpkin pie and calling it a traditional American affair, or dumping sushi rolls into a noodle soup and passing it off as authentic Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Spaghetti Bolognese isn't an Italian dish, it's a meal invented in England by putting one type of Italian food on top of another type of Italian food.

It would be a bit like baking fried chicken into a pumpkin pie and calling it a traditional American affair, or dumping sushi rolls into a noodle soup and passing it off as authentic Japanese.
    Tagliatelle al ragù alla Bolognese is an Italien dish though, the only issue with the English version is that they use spaghetti instead of the tagliatelle. Hardly as extreme as your comparisons. It's only the shape of the pasta that is different.

ReputationRep:
    I went there recently it was all pizza pasta and fish maybe try a fish dish

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)

Awkward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliemogs)
    Tagliatelle al ragù alla Bolognese is an Italien dish though, the only issue with the English version is that they use spaghetti instead of the tagliatelle. Hardly as extreme as your comparisons. It's only the shape of the pasta that is different.
    If I cook any kind of pasta sauce I normally use tagliatelle as it's a much more fulfilling pasta than spaghetti, I never really got why the rest of the world embraced spaghetti as its chosen pasta. I always associate the sauce with lasagna though to be honest.

I'm guessing its mainly a dish which is popular in the Bologna region and then a *******ised version of it internationally, in Rome or Milan you have to go to a tourist restaurant to find it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.