Choosing A Level subjects - French, Psychology or Sociology?

Watch
SophieDizzy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am trying to decide which A levels to take, and I have decided on Biology, Chemistry and Physics, but am unsure about my 4th option. I'm thinking either French, Psychology or Sociology. I would like to be a vet, would any of these be best?

If you do any of these subjects, would you be able to tell me a bit about what they're like and how difficult they are?

Thanks!
MAshraf
Badges: 2
Report 4 years ago
Hey I'm an A2 student but I took French for AS. Honestly? I loved it and I don't know if thats because i love languages anyway but you really feel like you're becoming close to fluent. At AS it's not difficult at all, I did AQA and everything is fairly simple. I mean if you're alright with grammar then you'll be absolutely fine. I would have taken it for A2 as well but it's a lot of work and I didn't want anything to prevent me from achieving A star in my other subjects if ygm but if you are interested in French literature and history then definitely take it for A2. And languages are appreciated everywhere and for everything so you would only be doing yourself a favour taking it.
I have quite a few friends who did psychology, they all thought it was really interesting to take so they did and ended up regretting it when they realised how many case studies you have to memorise. And according to them the really interesting topics come up at A2 rather than at AS. But again I'm not an expert on that so someone else's opinion would be good lol. Sociology, I also have a friend who did this for AS and they said it was interesting. But I don't know much about that so that's not very helpful (sorry).
Aoife97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do Sociology for A Level so i can tell you all about it and you can see whether you are interested. Basically, if you're a fair writer and can write strategically(basically if you're good at English) then this subject will be well suited to you. I want to do Occupational Therapy at Uni, and 2 of my Uni's that i am applying for look for a health science such as biology, along with a social science which is sociology. So it can come in quite useful when applying to Uni.

AS AQA Sociology is relatively straight forward. The content is quite mild and i had no issues. Ended up getting and A when i only revised half the course lol. A2 is slightly more difficult, however you are trained to cope with it so you should be fine. Some of the things you look at in Sociology are suicide, crime, deviance, education, gender issues, ethnicity issues, social class issues etc etc. Its actually really interesting. I didn't know what to expect when i took Sociology on, but i'm glad i did.

I also done French for GCSE and got an A but dropped it going into AS Level. The reason for this was because there is a HUGE step up from GCSE to A Level and no on seems to tell you this. I mean, you have to translate books and films, and apparently it is very difficult from everyone i have spoken to. So this is why i did not take it on to AS Level. BUT, if you really want to you can, i am just warning you now.
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm a vet student right now and I can tell you that none of those three subjects offers any advantage over the others in terms of admittance onto the veterinary course. A-level requirements for all the UK vet schools can be found here, and as you can see by taking bio, chem and phys you're eligible to apply anywhere. I would therefore advise taking the subject that you enjoy most, and that you think you'll get the best grade in. One of my friends studying veterinary medicine at Bristol did AS French, and some of my coursemates at the RVC did psychology or sociology so it really is up to you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (86)
31.62%
Less motivated (186)
68.38%

Watched Threads